Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mascara on upper lashes only?

ShesSoVaVaVoom

One of the Regulars
if and when I use mascara I only do the uppers, and then lightly on the bottom outer lashes, otherwise (with my eyelashes being a dark brown) I end up with two-tone lashes since the mascara is usually brown-black, or just black.

anybody else use a spoon to curl their lashes? a friend of mine gave me that tip a few years ago and I've found I get a much better result! kind of like curling a ribbon with scissors :)

SuperKawaiiMama

One of the Regulars
I'm also a Top Lashes Only girl. If I ever do the bottom, I only do the outside corner lashes. Even without problems with smudging, I find that mascara on the bottom lashes causes the shadows in that area to be darker and make me look tired. I also agree with the lounger who mentioned lining with eyeshadow instead of pencil. It is much softer and blends easier.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
It really depends on the look I'm going for. If I want a vampy cat's eye look, I apply to upper lashes only. If I want a cute open-eyed look (I mostly want this lol), I do both upper and lower. I love to exaggerate the lower lashes, looks really good, and amazing for a 20's look.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
I only do the top lashes. I'm lucky and have dark, long, and curled eyelashes, so even then sometimes I only do the very tips of the lashes, where they are blonde.

Grant Fan

Practically Family
my eyelashes are very dark and I put it on the top and the bottom you just have to be very carefull not to get spider legs for bottom eyelashes. They used it on top and bottom in the 1940's so so do I

Shirin

A-List Customer
I'm also a top lashes gal. I just do the tops and the middle to end on the bottoms but very light. On my left eye there is a small area on the bottom lash line where there are no lashes, I don't know why, its always been that way. So I don't want to use mascara to emphasize that.
Anyone also have a problem with their eyelashes leaving mascara marks below the eyebrow? I have this problem every time I use mascara after I've curled my lashes and I despise it when it messes up my upper eyeshadow. Should I just keep the eye closed for a minute or something?

Kiri

One of the Regulars
I only ever do the top lashes. It just doesn't look right if I do the bottom. My lashes are medium length and fairly dark already. :)

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
I only have about 10 eye lashes under one of my eyes. Its not much better under the other so the mascara has no where to go, hence the smearing issues ensue if I do try to use mascara on the bottom which I do still attempt as my eyelashes are pale. Generally I don't even try.

Lilac Oak

New in Town
No one else has mentioned this particular tip, so figured I'd share...
I have very long, thick lashes, but you'd never know it if I didn't wear mascara as they are blonde at the roots and completely translucent at the tips. I do full black mascara on the upper lashes, but the bottom ones look absurd if I cover the length of them in mascara. What I do is put one or two swipes of mascara on the outer half of my bottom lashes, mostly at the roots, and then use my fingers to pull most of it off the ends. That way, I get a darker colour on them, without the cakiness or thickness of mascara. Oh, and I never get smudges and only use non-waterproof mascara, I hate the way the waterproof stuff pulls out my eyelashes when I want to take it off.

Smuterella

One Too Many
Grant Fan said:
my eyelashes are very dark and I put it on the top and the bottom you just have to be very carefull not to get spider legs for bottom eyelashes. They used it on top and bottom in the 1940's so so do I

Really? I read only today that it was usual to only do the top lashes in the 40's. this was a UK specific book though so maybe fashions were different over here. Perhaps a case of extreme rationing! Haha.

Miss Peach

One of the Regulars
No one else has mentioned this particular tip, so figured I'd share...
I have very long, thick lashes, but you'd never know it if I didn't wear mascara as they are blonde at the roots and completely translucent at the tips. I do full black mascara on the upper lashes, but the bottom ones look absurd if I cover the length of them in mascara. What I do is put one or two swipes of mascara on the outer half of my bottom lashes, mostly at the roots, and then use my fingers to pull most of it off the ends. That way, I get a darker colour on them, without the cakiness or thickness of mascara. Oh, and I never get smudges and only use non-waterproof mascara, I hate the way the waterproof stuff pulls out my eyelashes when I want to take it off.

This is EXACTLY what I do. A bit on the outside-middle just to define but I pluck most of it off. I also add white pencil on that lower lash area which helps me look awake...at least a little bit more awake. :)

GoddessMama

One of the Regulars
Only upper lashes here. My eyes are super sensitive and with melt even the most waterproof mascaras. I end up with it all under my eyes. I don't put anything under my eyes.

Kiri

One of the Regulars
Originally Posted by Grant Fan

Originally Posted by Smuterella
Really? I read only today that it was usual to only do the top lashes in the 40's. this was a UK specific book though so maybe fashions were different over here. Perhaps a case of extreme rationing! Haha.

I thought it was only on the top as well back then. Perhaps I'm mistaken. I still prefer top only though. :)

40'sfetish

Familiar Face
ok I have black extremely long lashes, I can't wear glasses without the separate nose pieces otherwise they sit too close to my face and my lashes hit the glass. I only mascara the outside half of my uppper lashes if that makes sense one layer with miranesse mascara, it is the best mascara I've ever used, doesn't cake, clump or end up anywhere other than where I put it.

http://www.mirenesse.com/catalogue/c7/c70/c419/p199

I never put mascara on the lower lashes as I end up with what I call a dolly look, you know the baby dolls with the insane lashes.

Sweet Caroline

New in Town
Honey Doll said:
I never wear mascara on my lower lashes-- looks too spidery on me and it always smudges.

Honey Doll

My eyelashes are like that too. If I put mascara on my bottom eyelashes, it look like part of a halloween costume!

Crafty Doll

Familiar Face
Miss sofia said:
I only do the top lashes too, i did do the bottom ones once for a party but ended up looking like Alice Cooper, not a good look!

Your comment literally made me laugh out loud! lol

I only use mascara on my top lashes. It just never occurred to me that the bottom ones might look good with a little bit of mascara. I think I will do some experimenting tomorrow!

Odalisque

A-List Customer
40'sfetish said:
ok I have black extremely long lashes, I can't wear glasses without the separate nose pieces otherwise they sit too close to my face and my lashes hit the glass. I only mascara the outside half of my uppper lashes if that makes sense one layer with miranesse mascara, it is the best mascara I've ever used, doesn't cake, clump or end up anywhere other than where I put it.

http://www.mirenesse.com/catalogue/c7/c70/c419/p199

I never put mascara on the lower lashes as I end up with what I call a dolly look, you know the baby dolls with the insane lashes.

This is the first mascara to do the little tubes, right?
I remember when this first came out, it seemed really neat but I was still doing drugstore makeup at the time.
Might have to give it a shot now....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner