Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Received my new brooch in the mail

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I purchased a 1930s-40s bakelite cherries brooch on eBay a few weeks ago, and it finally arrived! I've been coveting this style of piece for quite a long time, and was very pleased to pick one up for a fairly reasonable price.

Mine looks just like this, although I will have to have the cherries restrung at some point because the wax coating is wearing off. Luckily, I work with a vintage jewelry collector who knows how to properly repair this issue!

bakecherry5.jpg

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Those are very nice earrings, swinggal!

Currently, my collecting obsession is leaning towards celluloid and bakelite jewelry. It started with one painted celluloid bird from this same designer (scored for $20, but apparently worth much more) and has gone steadily downhill since!

http://www.vintageswank.com/miva/me...e_Code=VS&Product_Code=C-35705&Category_Code=

I love marcasite, too—perhaps that will be my next obsession! ;)

MissTayva

That is SO NICE! I'm jealous (even though I'm not into jewelry at all).
A while back, the wardrobe department of a photoshoot I was on had this gorgeous bakelite necklace with these absurdly HUGE cherries on it. The model who was wearing was complaining about how ugly and gaudy it was. I wanted to sneak it away in my purse!

Speaking of bakelite, I recently acquired a gorgeous bakelite/rhinestone hair ornament... it's rather strange, as it sorta slides into the hair. I wish I could post a photo, as it is very unusual. I got it at a steal -- only $10! I remember similar pieces were going on eBay a few years back for $100s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy