Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Road to Perdition style vintage men's ankle boots...advice please

Edward

Bartender
Thought this might be an appropriate place to post with regards to some boots I just recently picked up on OFAS. They're patterned brogue dress boots, over the ankle, non-fast-lacing. Mine are black:

821b_1.JPG

They're also available in a brown which (assuming my monitor and their photography to be accurate) is what I'd call russett - could look great with khakis and an A2!

I'm presuming that I have understood the house rules re eBay here, and that positng this is ok because a] it's a closed 'auction' and b] in any case the seller puts up multiples at a fixed BIN, but here's a link to the closed sale - I paid the standard price of GBP43.50, plus a few pounds shipping - bascially ninety five dollars plus some cents all in.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=330178073773&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=014

Seller "Shoeandbootman"

The seller will only post to the UK, but I thuoght this was worth posting for the benefit of other UK Loungers. I do now have the boots in my possession. We'll see how they wear over time, but on first inspection they seem to me to be every bit as good as similarly styled items I have seen selling at up to GBP120 in central London. I can't find any branding on the boots at all (aside from sizing and the leather mark on the sole). There is one very slight imperfection on the leather on one of the boots. Nothing as noticeable as the inevitable 'first scuff' that happens to new shoes, and in any case it's up on the side of the boot covered by the trouser leg. Nothing to worry about, it's something I would call a slight imperfection rather than a damage. Just makes me wonder whether these are actually a much more expensive boot that are what a very-picky QC spec would term a 'slight second' and are therefore being sold off unbranded?

I will of course post my own photos at first opportunity. We'll see on the durability front.

Alan Eardley said:
Repeat until darkness falls. Do again next day. After a week or two of this, you will begin to wonder why, as ammo boots were not made to take a polish in the first place.

I presume (looking at it from the perspective of a civilian who's never been in the military) that it's designed as one of those requirements that don't have any practical purpose but to build discipline.

One thing that sticks in my head.... in Taxi Driver, before he goes out on the shooting spree at the brothel, Travis Bickle polishes his boots in preparation. This appears to be approached as more a ritual than anything - it's not a simple "oh, my shoes need polishing" affair. Notably, he sets light to the polish itself still in the tin, then puts it out quite quickly with the lid before applying the polish with a cloth. Bickle of course was meant to be ex-military (a Para trooper? I have something in my head about paratroopers and the distinctive mohican he adopts for the shooting. I can't remember..... something about a King Kong unit? I believe the characters was a Vietnam vet). I had presumed that this was a military way of dealing with the boots - was this the US Army equivalent of the bulling process, heating the polish itself rather than applying heat to the boot with the spoon?

Another thing I've often wondered is whether bulling an Oxford dress shoe would have the same end look as a patent shoe? (Much more work for the same result, I know, but for the sake of argument, or say I fell into possession of a pair of superb shoes that I wanted to use for evening wear).

PADDY said:
So, I'll be turning the clock back somewhat when I take that hot spoon and Kiwi polish to these boots of mine (it would have been the 1980's when I last wore ammo boots with the old wrap around puttees, like something from the days of the Raj!!).

Would I be wrong in saying (as I think I've gathered from various army surplus stores) that DMS boots came in post WW2 for field use (becoming longer length post Falklands), with ammo boots being dress uniform kit from thereon (and still today)?

I've been tempted to buy a pair of Ammo boots as like much army surplus new they're still much cheaper than an equivalent quality civilian pair. What makes me wary, though, is that they don't seem to be available without the metal toe and heel pieces (I've seen some for sale without the hobnails). I don't think that would worry me but for the fact my home flooring is mostly wood laminate.... concerned that they would scratch that terribly?

Marty M.

Vendor
Great find.

Edward said:
Thought this might be an appropriate place to post with regards to some boots I just recently picked up on OFAS. They're patterned brogue dress boots, over the ankle, non-fast-lacing. Mine are black:

821b_1.JPG

I will of course post my own photos at first opportunity.

Great looking boots Edward. Please do post your photo's when you have them. By the way, what doe's OFAS stand for?
Marty Mathis

Edward

Bartender
Marty M. said:
Great looking boots Edward. Please do post your photo's when you have them. By the way, what doe's OFAS stand for?
Marty Mathis

I've picked it up round these parts, it's a common FL way of referrring to eBay, aka Our Favourite Auction Site. :)

Edward

Bartender
Well, no photos of the boots yet, but I took the plunge and wore them to the office and then out for the evening on Tuesday; same again today - and so far, fabulously comfortable. :)

Jerekson

One Too Many
It may sound strange, but I find that 1980's military-issue boots make a nice alternative.

Here are some examples from the eBay seller mrhaney4, who frequently sells them among other boots.

1220_11%20030.jpg

1220_8%20369.jpg

1220_8%20408.jpg

Maybe I'm just crazy.

Rooster

Practically Family
Corchoran jump boots are a good alternative too. Cap toe with a punch detail at the cap seam. I wear mine quite a bit.

Badluck Brody

Practically Family
You're the man Paddy!!!

Before seeing this thread, I was talking to a cobbler about having a pair of lowquarters made into a boot. Not just because of the Road Movie, but because here in Wisconsin we have all the snow and it's hard not to get a soaker just going to and from the car!!!

Just for the record, I have done lost of business with River Junction... Good folks whose main customers are Wild West reenactors and CAS shooters. Good folks to work with and their shops (and hotel) are very sharp!!!

But I love what you picked up!!! How is the traction on those boots???

Chas

One Too Many
I like the Sable Tip. I'm pretty sure that there are very similar boots in my 1930's catalogs. I will check them and scan 'em when I get some free time, if they match up.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
My Mike Sullivans have been out.

YEP..it's that time again for those Road to Perdition boots ;) Wind, rain and sleet are the friends of these babys'. So on with the Fedora, the wool great coat and the ankle boots.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for bumping this one, Paddy. These thread has boots that are more in line with what I'm looking for.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Sounds more like boats you're after Lefty...

Two boats might do the job better ;) But worth reading through this thread again, as I often forget just how much good stuff is buried in these places if you are after a specific item. And I do like the style of many of the black boots that have been showcased in here as a formal boot or a semi work that you can wear over winter.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I also just re-read the balmoral boot thread, which is pretty similar, but far more educational.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Guess it must be OCTOBER again (I've just realised, it's October each year these babies keep coming out to play...!!). Just need some Chicagoesque 'Road to Perdition' snowfall..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic