Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Slow cooking

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Do you use a crock pot or slow cooker? I have recently received one and am fascinated by the idea of having no dinner prep to do when I get home.

Please share your slow cooker / crock pot recipes with me. Vegetarian recipes preferred, though I can convert most any recipe, so all are welcome.

Lilredrooster

Familiar Face
chili

My fav. Thing to do in the crock pot is a vegetarian chili, you cant make it taste bad!

I use the flame broiled Boca burgers and all I do is cook them in a pan then chop them up, toss them in the crock pot with…

1 can chili beans (I use the one with chili seasoning in it)
2 cans crush tomatoes
1 can whole corn
1 small can mushrooms
1 can black beans
1 packet chili seasoning
¬? cup chopped onions
And one zucchini all chopped up
I also add 1-2 cans of water or tomato juice and some more seasoning if I want it hot.

I put it on low and let it cook till im ready to eat, top with some cheese or sour cream and it’s great!

You can also toss in any other veg you like or have, I will some times toss in a yellow squash if I have a ¬? of one in the fig that needs to be used, my mom even tossed in left over pasts if we had macaroni the night before. Some days she would even toss the cheese right in it and just let it cook.

IT'S SO GOOD!

My hubby likes it as well but when i make it for him and my self i will use ground turkey.

Dagwood

Practically Family
I bought my slow cooker about 2 years ago, and use it almost every weekend.

My favorite receipe is simple - just throw in all the vegetables you can find (potatoes, corn, onions, mushrooms, etc.) and some herbs (basil and chives). Fill to top. Cook for 6-8 hours on high and its done!! Can also throw in some tofu (firm or extra firm) if you like...

Enjoy the slow cooker!

P.S. I would highly recommend using a slow cooker liner. It will prevent your slow cooker from getting dirty, and clean-up is super easy.

The Shirt

Practically Family
KittyT-
I have a couple of word docs with 100 or so crockpot recipes if you'd like. PM me if you're interested. I've tried a few and been pleased with the results.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You know, I just used it Saturday night for a roast I ate Sunday. I don't know how big your crock pot is so I won't give any specific numbers. Anyway, I just fudge it all anyway.

Get some beef broth and a roast (rump roast, eye of round, chuck, whatever you like) place the raw roast into the crock pot and then fill with broth until about 1/3 full. Cut up some carrots, celery and potatoes and add them. I also like to add pearl onions, or boiler onions. Add whatever seasoning you like, I prefer salt, pepper, coriander seeds, thyme and rosemary with a touch of basil and garlic.

I let that thing cook for about 20 hours on low and when I got home from a long night of work, I was able to sit down to a great meal. And I haev plenty of leftovers to eat for lunch and dinner too!

I love crockery cookery!

Ugarte

A-List Customer
Crockpot Roast

Take a beef or pork roast, put it in the crockpot.
Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Pour in one (1) packet of your favorite powdered onion soup mix.
Pour in 1/4 to 1/2 cup of water.
Throw in a double handful of baby carrots.
Add a pile of clean mushrooms. I like the fresh ones.
Fill to the top with cubed potatoes.
Cook, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are soft.

I also like to mix up a little flour or cornstarch and water to add late in the process. It gives you a bit of body to the gravy.

Vegetable Beef Soup

Put a pound or two of stew meat in the crockpot. I like to slice mine up a bit to give me smaller pieces.
Salt and pepper to taste.
Add a small bag of frozen mixed vegetables (corn, carrots, lima beans, green beans, that kind of thing).
Top off with cubed potatoes.
Fill to the top with tomato juice.
Cook until potatoes are soft.

Enjoy!

I've also done chicken and dumplings, Brunswick Stew and a lot of other stuff in my crockpot. In fact, I need to break out some other recipes.

Mark.

Slicksuit

One of the Regulars
Here's a vegetarian recipe for ya!

One of my favorite crock pot recipes is something a little different - overnight oatmeal! It is really easy, and tastes phenomenal! It uses steel cut (aka. Irish oatmeal), which is superior to that instant crap-ola sold at the grocer.

Overnight Oatmeal:
1c Steel cut oats
4c Water
1/2c Half-and-Half
1-2c dried fruit of your choice
spices, as appropriate

Combine all ingredients and cook on low heat for 8-9 hours. Stir before serving.

It works best if you put the ingredients together in the cooker before going to bed for the night. I usually do a combination of dried apple rings (cut up) and cinnamon. A little brown sugar goes in to taste when I spoon it up.

You can also do combinations of dried fig and cranberries, dried blueberries, etc....anything your heart desires. You can also just cut fresh fruit into it in the morning. It's really hard to mess up.

Let me know how much you like it, if you try it!

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Slicksuit said:
One of my favorite crock pot recipes is something a little different - overnight oatmeal! It is really easy, and tastes phenomenal! It uses steel cut (aka. Irish oatmeal), which is superior to that instant crap-ola sold at the grocer.

Overnight Oatmeal:
1c Steel cut oats
4c Water
1/2c Half-and-Half
1-2c dried fruit of your choice
spices, as appropriate

Combine all ingredients and cook on low heat for 8-9 hours. Stir before serving.

It works best if you put the ingredients together in the cooker before going to bed for the night. I usually do a combination of dried apple rings (cut up) and cinnamon. A little brown sugar goes in to taste when I spoon it up.

You can also do combinations of dried fig and cranberries, dried blueberries, etc....anything your heart desires. You can also just cut fresh fruit into it in the morning. It's really hard to mess up.

Let me know how much you like it, if you try it!

Thank you for thiis, I have been wondering about trying making oatmeal in the slow cooker, but never looked for a specific recipe.

KittyT, I always make chili in mine, and just tend to chuck in loads of beans, tomatoes, assorted veg and spices until it's full, and then see what happens!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Fleur De Guerre said:
KittyT, I always make chili in mine, and just tend to chuck in loads of beans, tomatoes, assorted veg and spices until it's full, and then see what happens!

I think I'm going to try it out for the first time tomorrow - vegetarian chili. I figured I'd just throw the stuff in and leave it on low all day and it should be fine (I hope!)

MB5

One of the Regulars
I use one for brisket and stew.

Stew:
Meat (Floured [flour, salt & pepper] and browned)
2 Potatoes
2 Carrots
2 beef bullion cubes (dissolved in 2 cups water)
Dump remaining flour mixture into crock pot
Celery (Optional)
Red Cooking wine (Optional)

Cook on high 1 to 2 hours, then bring down to low.
-----------------------
I am going to have to try that Oatmeal recipe! It would be great to have breakfast ready when I wake up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21