Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Snobbery in the Lounge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CassD

One of the Regulars
As this thread has gotten somewhat serious, I will repeat something I said when this thread first started, I have not experienced snobbery here to a point where it would bother me or make me stop posting. I don't find it an issue. I don't think it's swept under the rug and I don't think there's any cause for concern. Yes, it does happen, but it is dealt with in a polite manner and it is usually unintentional. It's no different than dealing with people I meet on a day to day bases.

And now, as I think life is far to serious anyway, I end my serious posts on this thread. On to more merry-making.

Surley I didn't notice that boulder on her finger, but then, I'm too classy for diamonds. I prefer pearls, you know, to vacuum in while I'm wearing my high-heels and baking a pot roast for the husband. ;) lol

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
By "first and last pages" I meant "first pages and last pages." I read the first 8 or so pages and the last 5 or so. Sorry for the lack of clarity.

mtechthang said:
So far today I seem incapable of deep thinking (and I sure haven't been funny!). :eusa_doh: But to add to what jamespowers said, isn't this extended quote on first and last pages kind of like eating the two pieces of bread and commenting on the sandwich? ;) :eek:

:cheers1:

alexandra

Practically Family
Tango Yankee said:
Snobbishness is based upon opinion. Websters defines a snob as "an individual, often a social climber, arrogantly convinced of the superiority of his own tastes and interests." The difference between the snob and the opinionated is that the snob's opinion is that what they prefer is superior simply because that's what they (or those they aspire to be like) have decided that it is, whereas the opinionated persons opinion is (hopefully) based in fact, experience, or both. Of course, that's not to say that the strongly opinionated person cannot come across as an arrogant jerk, but I suspect that when that happens they're crossing over into snobbishness.

I myself am quite guilty of snobbishness towards the area I currently live in. I don't fit in here in rural southern Ohio. I wouldn't know how to even if I tried. I do a lot of the same things others do around here, such as driving a tractor to mow the fields, but look with distaste at things many people around here do for fun that they don't see is wrong. Things like trespassing on other people's property to ride their 4-wheelers (tearing up fields in the process) is one example. I am also a beer snob. Given the choice between a soda and the usual offerings of Bud, Bud Light, Miller, Miller Light, etc I'll take the soda every time. :beer:

We see snobbishness across these forums--against wool hats, baseball caps, modern clothing, and more.

A certain amount of snobbishness abounds in everyday life. We know it's there, sometimes we'll call someone on their attitude, often we just ignore it. Perhaps there are times when we shouldn't ignore it, but I don't think of it as being something that's swept under the rug here in the Lounge. I don't necessarily think it's a problem that needs to be fixed, either. It's just a part of life.

That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it! :p

Cheers,
Tom

A lot of things are based on opinion. To make the connection between strong opinions and being snobby just because some snobby people have snobby opinions is a bit of a stretch. You can't base your opinions on fact because it would then no longer be an opinion, it would simply be a fact. Opinions are supposed to be differing.

What I was mainly referring to with my statement was the whole conflict of "It makes you a jackass and a snob to tell someone that their thread is silly." To me, that thing was pretty ridiculous for a great number of reasons. Whether you think it was or it wasn't is an opinion, and as there is no way to prove either as fact, they will have to remain opinion.

I don't feel that having strong opinions makes me a snob. I don't feel that telling people my honest opinion makes me a bad person, either.

surely

A-List Customer
Doran, your fingers are obviously more adept than mine so it make take me some time to fully reply. And in due course I will. And thanks for that clarification, I was wondering.

But I will make one point. I think that you are confusing intent with behavior. Your excellent example of the way a snob may think (& I did ask) is not what this thread is all about, though it is relevant in understanding a snob (presuming, of course, I'm not one. (hmm, I'll think on that).

What I think we should focus on are the behaviors that in fact constitute snobbery. What a person thinks or feels is their private business; but when they enter the public arena [such as FL] how they behave towards others is subject to open scrutiny by the membership.

:eek:fftopic: Look people these thoughts keep appearing in my mind.[huh] I don't want to still the turbulent waters of mirth. Carry on

mtechthang

One of the Regulars
James, James, James. . tch, tch, tch

jamespowers said:
Figures from you Academics in your Ivory Towers. ;) :p
Geez, I love snobbery. I never knew it could be so much fun. :p

I can't speak for other academics, but I work in neither tower nor in the proximity of Ivory (yes, I know the derivation of this term from the Song of Solomon, "Your neck is like an ivory tower"!). But this thread is about snobbery. We are the ones, clearly on high ground. :rolleyes:

In my own Ivory Tower world, I've been carpenter, worked as a VW and bicycle mechanic, built sheds, done landscaping, managed for a corporation and assorted other jobs. That's just while in college and grad school. And I must say, that most of my colleagues are not snobs- but those who are do so well enough that the stain spreads to those of us with feet planted more firmly on terra! :eek: :eek: :eek: I think I just proved your point!!! :eusa_doh: :eusa_doh: :eusa_doh:

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
jamespowers said:
Figures from you Academics in your Ivory Towers. ;) :p
Geez, I love snobbery. I never knew it could be so much fun. :p

Where I spend many of my days...

300px-IL_leeds.university.jpg

(University of Leeds, that's the Parkinson Building and Parkinson Tower)

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
One antonym for snob, according to my 1980-something leatherette thesaurus, is chawbacon.

I don't believe I've ever had the opportunity to use that word before. I thank this thread for making it possible today.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Harley Quinn said:
Ever read Jeremy Brett's comment on Dame Maggie (they were OLD friends...)

"Maggie Smith used to have excellent skin. Have you seen her face lately? In a few more years, they'll have to unfold it to find out who she used to be."

Well, if you look at Brett as Freddie in My Fair Lady compared to Brett not that many years later as Sherlock Holmes...perhaps a bit of the pot calling the kettle black?

mtechthang said:
I can't speak for other academics, but I work in neither tower nor in the proximity of Ivory (yes, I know the derivation of this term from the Song of Solomon, "Your neck is like an ivory tower"!). But this thread is about snobbery. We are the ones, clearly on high ground. :rolleyes:

In my own Ivory Tower world, I've been carpenter, worked as a VW and bicycle mechanic, built sheds, done landscaping, managed for a corporation and assorted other jobs. That's just while in college and grad school. And I must say, that most of my colleagues are not snobs- but those who are do so well enough that the stain spreads to those of us with feet planted more firmly on terra! :eek: :eek: :eek: I think I just proved your point!!! :eusa_doh:

lol lol lol lol lol

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
alexandra said:
A lot of things are based on opinion. To make the connection between strong opinions and being snobby just because some snobby people have snobby opinions is a bit of a stretch. You can't base your opinions on fact because it would then no longer be an opinion, it would simply be a fact. Opinions are supposed to be differing.

Apparently I wasn't as clear as I thought I was. I wasn't making a connection between having strong opinions and being snobby; I was attempting to point out the difference between the two. However, there is no doubt in my mind that someone with a strong opinion can come across as appearing to be a snob. That doesn't mean that they automatically will come across that way.

Certainly I can base opinions on fact. For example, I can say that in my opinion the earlier Mazda Miata models with the hidden headlights are better looking than the newer models with the exposed headlights. That is an opinion based on the fact that Mazda changed the headlight treatment of the Miata. Someone else may have a differing opinion based upon the same fact.

alexandra said:
What I was mainly referring to with my statement was the whole conflict of "It makes you a jackass and a snob to tell someone that their thread is silly." To me, that thing was pretty ridiculous for a great number of reasons. Whether you think it was or it wasn't is an opinion, and as there is no way to prove either as fact, they will have to remain opinion.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this paragraph. It wasn't clear (to me, anyway) that your post was referencing that specific incident.

alexandra said:
I don't feel that having strong opinions makes me a snob. I don't feel that telling people my honest opinion makes me a bad person, either.

I don't believe so either, and to the best of my knowledge I did not allege that either one was the case.

Regards,
Tom

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
surely said:
Tom, I agree with your first paragraph. Next you confuse feeling snobby and acting that way. That is, the actual behavior is what we can safely look at..

No, I don't think I confused the two; I simply didn't point out that though I felt that way, I tried not to show it. My general point was that it is likely that everyone has some area in which they feel snobbish; it doesn't mean they show it (or show it intentionally) but it is there none the less.

surely said:
I want to say something here even though I haven't thought it out yet. I treat snobbery as a serious social wrong on the level of racism. Reflect a little: racism is discrimination based on race and extended to gender etc. Snobbery is discrimination based on wealth, status, intellect or taste.

I have to disagree with you on this, Surely. All it takes to be a snob is to be "arrogantly convinced of the superiority of his own tastes or interests." Take the other side of the beer snob equation, for example. There are those who will loudly proclaim that they don't understand how I can drink the stouts or porters that I prefer, claiming that they taste horrid. They are just as much a snob on the subject as I am. I suppose that you could make a case for discrimination of some sort if I didn't hire someone because they don't drink the same kind of beer I drink, but I'm not sure it would go far.

surely said:
Snobs can think and feel whatever and whenever they want, it's when they engage in snobbery behavior in public that they become accountable.

True, but generally snobbery boils down to simply being bad manners.

Regards,
Tom

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Story said:
Have you noticed the inordinate amount of roadkill besmirching the shoulders of Route 70?

I figured the local critters got so bored with those flatlands, they commited chrome-plated suicide.

I don't travel route 70, but I live on route 104. Lots of roadkill here! Unfortunately, some of it gets brought home by my wife's dog. *yucky*

My wife, who grew up here and returned here after retiring from the Air Force, once commented that she'd never seen a live oppossum; just roadkill ones. Last year I was able to tell her I'd seen a live 'possum... then it went "thump thump" under the tires. It had cleared my side of the road, then turned around and ran back in front of me just before I got to it. shakeshead Maybe it was committing suicide, at that!

CassD

One of the Regulars
jamespowers said:
But is it ivory? :p

Answering in the stead of a hubby whose computer is off, no, it's not ivory, but it was being built while JRR Tolkien was teaching at Leeds Uni and writing Lord of the Rings, so it's still fairly snobby. ;)

surely

A-List Customer
OK Yankee lets Tango. Tom, you're right about the definition of snob. But this thread is about snobbery, an act, a type of behavior. That is, a snob could act in quit a civil manner, and a non-snob could be guilty of snobbery.

The question remains, when is behavior so offensive that it becomes snobbery?

To avoid any slippery slope or when does a difference in kind results in difference of substance type arguments, my position is: as we all are prone to snobbery, and thus subject to incur the wrath of ..... (fill in the blank), it's a good idea to know how we should not behave. Or, how better to hide your true feelings.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24