Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Snobbery in the Lounge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Story

I'll Lock Up
HoosierDaddy said:
On a forum...the standing up against a snob has greater effect if several rise to the occassion and politely point out the transgression.

I am Snobbacus!

Kirkdouglas_spartacus.JPG

Feraud

Bartender
Foofoogal said:
Seriously agree. My very best friend is one of those woman who men and woman from 12 to 99 look at her when she comes in a room. Drop dead gorgeous. Most all when we were younger thought she was a real snob. She wasn't. She was just really shy and self conscious.Women loathed her mostly and men couldn't speak around her. So sometimes even in real life we get it wrong if we go in with preconceived notions.
Good point. If we misjudge people standing in front of us how are we supposed to judge them online?

An online identity displays less of a person's true self than meeting them in person. This narrow picture is further blurred by intentionally created phony online personalities.

It makes you wonder how/why we have spent so much time trying to figure out something that cannot be figured..

surely

A-List Customer
Story, that verges on . . . (I can't decide which superlative to use) Nothing like a good early morning laugh! If I may, I would add, I am Snobbacous, the Snob Buster.

I'm getting it from all sides this morning. First as I'm walking into the kitchen the wife says "don't say anything" (she was listening to a relevant news bit) and now as I entered this thread I'm greeted with, in effect, shh, it's best not to address this topic. When you're a taboo buster it goes with the territory. At times I may speak out of turn & for that I apologize--I'll try & learn from my mistakes.

FoofooGal & Feraud (ff) & others are making a point which we should listen to for I imagine it to reflect the thinking of many on the lounge: "Look, we're having nice, interesting, informative, innocuous conversations, why do you have to come here and disrupt our tranquility with your incessant bantering, punning & in general ruckus & irreverent behavior and with you ceaseless & useless inquiry into unanswerable questions." Did I get that right?

If so, were at what these days is called a pivot point. What do we do? If we were face to face, we could be glaring at each other, defiantly standing our ground or we could be siting, in a relaxed mood perhaps having a drink or toke, and seeking a compromise. Or we could walk away in a huff.

I'd rather talk Feraud, how about you?

Doran said:
Your family has dimples. He has a hole. Looks like a tracheotomy that went too high. (How's THAT for snobby?)

Well, it doesn't rise quite as high as Jeremy Brett's comment about having to unfold a wrinkly face. ;) :p
His ears are just too big to me. Maybe its because they are so low down on his head in that picture. I suppose he had to keep from pointing them into a heavy gust of wind for fear of flying away. Ok, that was perhaps my entry for snobby. :p

surely

A-List Customer
You probably know that ears never stop growing.

And I think your permanent entry is : "People think they are so rebellious and original, when really they are just banal, boring and dumb.":p

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My ears are monstrous and my daughter's huge, too.

Surely, for the record let me state that I think you are raising interesting points which are worthy of pondering carefully. And which can make us into better people.

I have no idea what to say about the desire to joke around here as there is nothing wrong with it, but I suppose it does detract from the issues at hand.

Feraud

Bartender
surely said:
FoofooGal & Feraud (ff) & others are making a point which we should listen to for I imagine it to reflect the thinking of many on the lounge: "Look, we're having nice, interesting, informative, innocuous conversations, why do you have to come here and disrupt our tranquility with your incessant bantering, punning & in general ruckus & irreverent behavior and with you ceaseless & useless inquiry into unanswerable questions." Did I get that right?

Sorry to disappoint. I never used words as innocuous, disrupt, incessant, irreverent and a few others.
I do not see nor am I phrasing the conversation in those words. I do think your choice of words is interesting in how you perceive the conversation. This is only your perception.
Aside from some good gags I see little content being expressed here.

surely said:
perhaps having a drink or toke, and seeking a compromise. Or we could walk away in a huff.

I'd rather talk Feraud, how about you?
A toke?? Is this what precipitated these posts?
Lay off the stuff man, it'll fry your brain. There is no conflict therefore a compromise is unnecessary.

surely said:
You probably know that ears never stop growing.

And I think your permanent entry is : "People think they are so rebellious and original, when really they are just banal, boring and dumb.":p

My tag line was actually obtained from a member here so I can't take full credit for it----darn it. :( :p
If his ears never stopped growing then years later he must have looked like Dumbo. :p ;)

surely

A-List Customer
Doran, thank you. I will respond to your earlier post once I deal with these brush fires.

Feraud: "Sorry to disappoint. I never used words as innocuous, disrupt, incessant, irreverent and a few others.
I do not see nor am I phrasing the conversation in those words. I do think your choice of words is interesting in how you perceive the conversation. This is only your perception.
Aside from some good gags I see little content being expressed here."

Feraud, I know you never used such words, they were verbal grace notes. You seem to be very laconic, (a trait I admire), and thus do not seem to enjoy witty turns of phrase, inho. Well then, what are the words you are using to phrase this conversation?

Of course it's my perception. I asked you if it fit with yours. Obviously not. Would be nice if you would clarify
Are you saying that a thread with "little content being expressed" should what: cease & desist? scuttle over to the corner in shame?

"A toke?? Is this what precipitated these posts? Lay off the stuff man, it'll fry your brain."
I wondered if you would pick on that as a behavior that allows you to discount what is being said.
This is not the time though it may be the place to discuss the validity of your statement. However, I do sense an honest & sincere feeling in your statement.

"There is no conflict therefore a compromise is unnecessary."

This is confusing to me. Would you expand?
[/QUOTE]

alexandra

Practically Family
surely said:
I wondered if you would pick on that as a behavior that allows you to discount what is being said. This is not the time though it may be the place to discuss the validity of your statement.

You probably shouldn't bring things like drug use up in a thread about snobbery if you don't want it to be scrutinized!

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
alexandra said:
You probably shouldn't bring things like drug use up in a thread about snobbery if you don't want it to be scrutinized!

Surely is from a different generation. Autres temps, autres moeurs, etc.

The Dame

One of the Regulars
Feraud said:
Good point. If we misjudge people standing in front of us how are we supposed to judge them online?

As best we can given the day, our mood, our circumstances, their mood, their circumstances ... proximity helps us avoid some misjudgments but certainly not all. We're subjective beings and how we perceive others and ourselves is also subjective and influenced by myriad variables. The sin is not in bringing our own perception to the table, but in believing that perception can ever be anything but subjective. Wherever possible we have to make allowances for that. I'm not perfect - my perception of some members' answers in a thread yesterday was that they were being snotty. Their perception was that they were being honest. So whose perception defines reality?

Feraud said:
An online identity displays less of a person's true self than meeting them in person. This narrow picture is further blurred by intentionally created phony online personalities.

Perhaps, but that premise rests on the assumption that we ever reveal our 'true selves' either in person or via other means. I think it could be argued, e.g., that what we wear and the things we buy can be as much mask as window into who we are. I'm not sure I even understand why it's necessary for us to know another person's true self - half of us don't know our own true selves. And again, perception cannot be excised. Perception is reality in most cases.

Feraud said:
It makes you wonder how/why we have spent so much time trying to figure out something that cannot be figured..

Because we're human. Because Eve sought knowledge and ate the forbidden fruit from the Tree of Knowledge and talked Adam into taking a bite, too. Whether a thing can be figured out or not shouldn't keep us from trying. The journey, not the destination, KWIM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24