Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Snobbery in the Lounge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

surely

A-List Customer
Miss Neecerie said:
Wait...this was a topic?
Aww come on Miss Neecerie, the waters fine, come play with us.
Snobbery is a hot topic, put on some oven gloves.
Yes this is a serious topic and we have miles to go before its contours are drawn and we color in the meaning.
I think this thread is a treasure trove and I hope to mine it soon
It just occurred to me that the title of the thread is subject to differing interpretations. Perhaps a better title: Snobbery & the Vintage Lifestyle.This would take the focus away from the dynamics of the lounge which understandably raises the bartenders' hackles.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Sorry....but I would personally really much rather discuss actual vintage things, then to discuss why people -think- they are better then others....either here or elsewhere.

I save my personal mental contemplation for close friends.

The Dame

One of the Regulars
Doran said:
This is untrue. Thucydides, the father of scientific history, wrote the history of the Peloponnesian War. He was an Athenian. The Athenians lost that war. Polybios was an Achaean. The Romans took over Achaea and took him captive. Yet he wrote a history of the Roman military involvement in Greece. Which Greece lost.

I'll defer to your greater knowledge in this respect, but by and large, those are exceptions, not the rule, and furthermore are not to be considered any more objective than if they'd been written from the victor's perspective, unless of course, all personal and political and social bias was entirely lacking from their 'historical recitations' of events in their time. How can we know for certain they were?

Doran said:
As for value questions such as the moral poison of atomic bombs, these are not facts. They are up for interpretations. Of course subjective views are important. However, the physical poisonousness of atomic bomb fallout is not a subjective issue but a factual one.

Here are more objective facts. The earth goes around the sun. The moon goes around the earth. No subjective impressions bear the slightest amount of importance in these facts. They are objectively true. They constitute part of the (huge) body of objective truth that exists for us to discover.

I think I understand what you're getting at: The earth was round even when the commonly held belief was that it was flat. The factual reality of its sperical nature was not impacted one way or the other by the perception that the earth was flat. Gotcha.

But to go back on topic, when it comes to issues of snobbery, one man's act of snobbery is another's honest expression of opinion. Where're the facts here? A thread was started. Replies were posted. Those facts do not resolve the dilemma - did snobbish behavior occur? Or to continue Surely's thought: Is a preference for vintage things snobby? Those of us on FL are likely to say no. Everyone else? Perhaps yes.

Facts can only get us so far - too much of what is important to us as a society moves into the realm of subjective perception. That's messy.

surely said:
Yes this is a serious topic and we have miles to go before its contours are drawn and we color in the meaning.
It just occurred to me that the title of the thread is subject to differing interpretations. Perhaps a better title: Snobbery & the Vintage Lifestyle.This would take the focus away from the dynamics of the lounge which understandably raises the bartenders' hackles.

It ain't raising my hackles. Its hilarious.
You have the eggheads in their ivory towers arguing about existential philosophy. The filthy hippies smoking dope and the non-sequitors sitting back, smoking a cigar joking and having a tiddly while turning up our noses.;) :p

alexandra

Practically Family
Doran said:
This is untrue. Thucydides, the father of scientific history, wrote the history of the Peloponnesian War. He was an Athenian. The Athenians lost that war. Polybios was an Achaean. The Romans took over Achaea and took him captive. Yet he wrote a history of the Roman military involvement in Greece. Which Greece lost.

Not to mention that even though a lot of history widely believed by people has been proven inaccurate, it's not difficult to read up about these things. The perpetuation of ignorance continues because people often refuse to check their sources.

Like how many people still believe that the building of the pyramids is some inexplicable thing, when in reality it was a relatively simple task.

Feraud

Bartender
surely said:
It looks to me like the only thing being raised are funnybones.

Why don't you contribute something specific to the topic of Snobbery & the Vintage Lifestyle. You should add the color and contour you obviously want others to add.
Stop beating around the bush and asking others to do the dirty work.
Jump in the water is fine.

surely

A-List Customer
jamespowers said:
Sure. Riiiiiiiggghht. :rolleyes:
That's right! Come for a visit & I will introduce you to them. I mean it. Vancouver, it's a wonderful town.

I would like to know what image you have of a hippy. PM me if you like so we don't start of on another tangent. I was a participant observer of the origin of hippies. They were mostly well educated middle to upper class people who sought to gain a better understanding of themselves. What you may be referring to are the poor souls who were not able to cope with the mainstream's negative reaction.

The Dame

One of the Regulars
jamespowers said:
And THAT is the problem, which will never be resolved, influenced or corrected by society as it never has been in our history and never will be. End of story.

Don't you mean the never ending story? ;)

surely said:
That's right! Come for a visit & I will introduce you to them. I mean it. Vancouver, it's a wonderful town.

I would like to know what image you have of a hippy. PM me if you like so we don't start of on another tangent. I was a participant observer of the origin of hippies. They were mostly well educated middle to upper class people who sought to gain a better understanding of themselves. What you may be referring to are the poor souls who were not able to cope with the mainstream's negative reaction.

That's your problem. You are in Vancouver. You should have been in the Bay Area here. Then you would see Filthy Hippies all.
Hippy.jpg

surely

A-List Customer
Miss Neecerie said:
Sorry....but I would personally really much rather discuss actual vintage things, then to discuss why people -think- they are better then others....either here or elsewhere.

I save my personal mental contemplation for close friends.
That's nice, but with all due respect, this thread is not about "why people -think- they are better then others." It is about the nature of snobbery and how it manifests in behavior "here or elsewhere."

And if you would prefer to discuss vintage things please due. I notice that you are not a bartender here so I guess you don't have to be looking at this thread.

There are others who wish to continue in the spirit of serious inquiry and serious fun. Let the games continue!

mtechthang

One of the Regulars
Ahhh, James. Sigh.

jamespowers said:
It ain't raising my hackles. Its hilarious.
You have the eggheads in their ivory towers arguing about existential philosophy. The filthy hippies smoking dope and the non-sequitors sitting back, smoking a cigar joking and having a tiddly while turning up our noses.;) :p

Filthy hippies is a redundancy (was one) ;) but smoking dope was optional!! Also, arguing existential philosophy seems an oxymoron!!!

But what I really enjoyed was the image I got (not your problem, James, it is my screwed up sense of humor but worth sharing!) from the sentence "The non-sequitors (sic) sitting back, smoking a cigar". lol lol lol lol

Now that's funny, right 'dere. I don't care who you are!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany