Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage/Retro Cosmetic brands?

Rebecca D

One of the Regulars
Oh my gosh, Jitterbugdoll! I bought the Aussie freeze spray and used it for the 1st time yesterday. I walked 45 minutes to a meeting (in San Francisco, this is a hair destroyer), walked from there to the gym, worked out for 2 hours and sweat quite a bit, took a shower, then walked all over town and went to dinner, and I still had a beautiful wave! This stuff is genius! And I still have enough curl left this morning to wear a rosie scarf without rewaving my hair. I love this stuff! Thanks for the advice.

The weather was nice yesterday, but I'm looking forward to seeing how well this stuff holds up to the fog.

And I'd like to take back what I said about Tabu lipstick. I've been wearing the Granada color and I really, really like it. After it sets the color lasts forever, and Granada looks authentically vintage on me.

magneto

Practically Family
dollfaced said:
I..was..in..longs..drug..store..and....was..told..they...will..be..discontinuing..COTY,Airspun..face..powder..Is..that..true??????

Didn't someone post (maybe here?) that although Coty are changing their line,the Airspun is staying... oh, from JitterbugDoll in the "vintage lipsticks" thread...

{{BEGIN QUOTE}}
This is from the Web site:
Q.WHERE CAN I FIND YOUR LINE OF COTY COSMETICS (LIPSTICS, MAKEUP, ETC.)?
A. Thank you for your interest in Coty. A corporate decision has been made to discontinue all Coty cosmetics with the exception of Airspun Loose Face Powder. Please note all remaining inventory is depleted at this time.
{{END QUOTE}}

EDIT: I checked the website (cotyshop.com) and the above Q&A is still posted... the Walgreen's person was probably confused.

magneto said:
Didn't someone post (maybe here?) that although Coty are changing their line,the Airspun is staying... oh, from JitterbugDoll in the "vintage lipsticks" thread...

{{BEGIN QUOTE}}
This is from the Web site:
Q.WHERE CAN I FIND YOUR LINE OF COTY COSMETICS (LIPSTICS, MAKEUP, ETC.)?
A. Thank you for your interest in Coty. A corporate decision has been made to discontinue all Coty cosmetics with the exception of Airspun Loose Face Powder. Please note all remaining inventory is depleted at this time.
{{END QUOTE}}

EDIT: I checked the website (cotyshop.com) and the above Q&A is still posted... the Walgreen's person was probably confused.

I hope this is true. It is still available at Walmart, in fact they recently put up a new end of the aisle display for it that is vintage looking and had a drawing of a woman in 1920's clothing. I don't think they would put out new displays if they were discontinuing it. It is possible Walgreen's might not carry it any longer, they have recently stopped carrying Max Factor.

magneto

Practically Family
CherryRed said:
I hope this is true. It is still available at Walmart, in fact they recently put up a new end of the aisle display for it that is vintage looking and had a drawing of a woman in 1920's clothing. I don't think they would put out new displays if they were discontinuing it. It is possible Walgreen's might not carry it any longer, they have recently stopped carrying Max Factor.

I noticed that! :rage: ...Well I think I'd better buy a few extra Coty boxes next time at the store, just in case (powder seems to keep well if in a cool dry place...I have some very old Lanvin powder that is still good, but it was in a sealed container up 'til I bought it.)

Lola Getz

One of the Regulars
I know this is an old thread but thought I'd let any of my fellow Coty(users)-in-Arms know that you can find the Airspun powder online at drugstore.com. I love this powder so much! The scent, the packaging, everything. :)

~*Red*~

Practically Family
I was just at Kmart today and they had tons of the powder.. in the green and yellow boxes. Even had it's own display as well as it's regular place.

Mrs Beattie

New in Town
Cosmetic Brands of 1930s/40s

Hello everyone, please excuse me if I am repeating a topic (I searched and could not find it).
I was wondering what makeup brands were survivors of the 30s/40s. As much as I would like to, I cant afford designer brands, so we are talking mid range here. Makeup goes off obviously, so I would not want to wear 60 year old lipstick.
I may not be able to afford a new dress every couple of weeks, but a new lipstick or nail varnish can cheer a girl up too. I would be particularly interested if the packaging had not changed much either.
Looking forward to your replies. :)

Mrs Beattie

New in Town
Thank you so much :eusa_clap , here I go on tab number 2 to spend some money. I will report my findings. :)

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
318544762_f1360af4d4.jpg

"Honey" (U.K} magazine gave instructions to create this FRIZZY set using pipe-cleaners in 1973, you need to divide the hair into six sections

Cosmetics
At the start of the 20th Century, it was thought improper for respectable women to wear make up. Cosmetics were often sold 'under the counter'. However, Selfridges changed this by becoming the first store to openly sell powder and rouge. Gradually, wearing make up became more acceptable.
During the Suffragette Movement of the 1910s, many women wore bright red lipstick as a symbol of their defiance. The influence of the film industry in the 1920s and the glamour of Hollywood actresses, created a new demand for a variety of cosmetic products.
In 1931, the "Daily Mail" reported that 1,500 lipsticks were being sold for every 1 purchased in 1921.
At the start of the 20th century, it was thought improper for respectable women to wear make-up. Cosmetics were often sold ‘under the counter’. However, Selfridges changed this by becoming the first store to openly sell powder and rouge. Gradually, it became more acceptable to wear make-up.
During the Suffragette Movement of the 1910s, many women wore bright-red lipstick as a symbol of their defiance. The influence of the film industry in the 1920s and the glamour of Hollywood actresses created a new demand for a variety of cosmetic products.
In 1931, the Daily Mail reported that 1,500 lipsticks were being sold for every one bought in 1921.
During the Second World War, cosmetics were not rationed, but they were extremely scarce. During these austere times, make-up fulfilled an important role in providing affordable morale boosters.
During the 1960s and 70s, there was a growing interest in the use of natural ingredients in cosmetic products. The Mary Quant cosmetics range was launched in 1966 and the ‘Special Recipe’ range reflected this new interest. Some of the organic ingredients used in the Quant cosmetics were honey, almond oil, parsley seed oil and herb extracts.
Towards the end of the 20th century, there was growing consumer unease concerning animal testing for beauty products. The Body Shop, founded in 1976, sourced for its cosmetic products only those ingredients that had been developed without involving animal testing.
Many cosmetics manufacturers have been based in London throughout the 20th century. Yardley, founded in the 18th century, is one of London’s oldest soap and perfumery firms. By the 1930s, it had glamorous retail premises in Bond Street and a large Art Deco-style factory in Stratford, east London. In the 1960s, the factory moved to Basildon in Essex, where it continued until its closure in 1999.
Established in London in 1834, Rimmel is one of the world’s oldest cosmetics brands. Eugene Rimmel was an expert perfumer and cosmetics visionary. The Parisian cosmetics company Coty (created in 1904) opened a subsidiary branch in London in 1922. Another London manufacturer was F S Cleavers and Sons Limited, of 32 and 33 Red Lion Street, Holborn. In 1970, the fashion label Biba launched its own range of cosmetics, available from all Dorothy Perkins stores as well as the Biba flagship store in Kensington, it was beautifully packaged in Black and Gold, as was everything in the store including Baked beans and dog food!!, I had a lovely bottle of cologne that i threw away never imagining it would become a collectors item!""

"Big Biba (now Marks N Sparks) was amazing, one was able purchase anything as long as it was packaged , in black and gold, Heaven!

biba9.jpg

jetgirl

One of the Regulars
Biba! My favorite! I have a couple of makeup containers from the original Biba. Sad, but true.

Offenbach

New in Town
Hi RetroMom,

You are blond, green eyed w/fair complexion and you don't look good in light pink? Are you sure?? Try again with vintage or retro '60s/'70s white dress. It worked for Nancy Sinatra.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner