Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Was Roughwear The Original Manufacturer Of The Iconic Hercules Jacket?

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Great find.
Thanks but this is not my jacket. All credit goes to truvintage 102 retail shop. This guy takes amazing photos of the vintage jackets:

The 1941 Sears catalogue says length is 25.5", this vintage jacket is only 23.5" measured from the back neck down. So I think they measure things a bit differently then. I've gotta get myself one of these old Sears catalogue for the how to measure and order pages.

I kinda dig this version with the cleaner back panels, like Leathertog smashed together with a half belt, thought I post the photos. But all credit goes to that truvintage shop guy, he really takes much better photos than every other vintage shops I been through.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Roughwear Clothing adjustable collar. here is a similar back they patented.

1691217077099.png

Corresponds with the 1941 Sears Catalog image posted above. The jacket shows up 42 catalog then ends

sweetfights

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks for that incredible slideshow Terry; the clearer shots of the patent tags in better condition also helped me find those patents by Rough Wear:

View attachment 494773

https://patents.google.com/patent/US1993705A/en?oq=1,993,705
View attachment 494771
The second seems to only be tangentially related to the Hercules design; overly cautious maybe? It looks like the cutaway back facing to the main zip but on the real models it’s not a built-in muffler like in the patent:

https://patents.google.com/patent/US2056788A/en?oq=US2056788
View attachment 494772
So very cool.

RiteStuffBryan

One of the Regulars
Notice the difference in the pocket angles between these last two jackets. Which way are you going on your Kelso?

Good catch, I’ve asked for them to be more vertical as I’m thinking to make this a sort of 1938 model. I’ve also asked for rounded cuff adjusters, a ball and chain chest pocket zipper, rectangle side strap buckles, and a plaid lining:

IMG_0845.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran