Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

Richard Morgan

One Too Many
C4EDAF9F-7D8A-4A79-9C65-FF0BD914F1AF.jpeg
E63A1792-9515-4B2C-9FCF-EB6A481946D7.jpeg
E63A1792-9515-4B2C-9FCF-EB6A481946D7.jpeg
Richard: nice very nice!!
Any way to get a closeup pic of the ribbon treatment if you have a chance?
B
Here you go. This is a great hat I just don’t wear enough. The ribbon is same felt as the hat with a real simple keeper.

Richard Morgan

One Too Many
Here are both hats side by side. I had the grey expanded yesterday.
e74383e1a52ef32def6b388dc9b152df.jpg
eaae587543022466cd7b5ea93c16b5a8.jpg
33b78571502e4ca7c59ef1bd3af61815.jpg
087fd9360f8c6081f0399afb55a29a1e.jpg
91954ccb6c05ec1a2bf69d9ca4a5d2b4.jpg

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk
Max, do the sweats have a Dobs logo or just the word Dobbs printed on them. If not they are probably replacement sweats. If they do then they are really unusual Dobbs. Our most authoritative source http://www.thehattedprofessor.com/datedobbspart2.html tells us that the only size tags from the 50s or 60s are the oval brown tag or one similar to those on your hats but using gold colored media

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
Unfortunately, I have to agree. Hopefully you'll be one of those rare individuals who comes through after the surgery with no lingering effects, but the odds aren't in your favor. That said, if pain management isn't getting the job done and surgery is your only viable option a neurosurgeon is definitely preferable to an orthopedic surgeon. I sincerely wish for the best outcome for you regardless of the treatment.
There is a surgeon in Mexico, Roberto DiLeo, who has an excellent reputation for back surgery. He operated on two friends of mine, who seemed unaware of the risks the surgery had... They took it for granted they would be alright, and they were.
One of them, my compadre Willy, who has enough money to be operated on by anyone he wished, anywhere in the world, plays golf with me often, and doesn't seem to have any limitation in turning his back. He showed me a copy of the metal structures that were put into his spinal column. It was a meccano style assembly, the height of two vertebrae.
I am surprised to hear that back surgery is still unpredictable. From what I heard from my friends, I thought technology had overcome that.

Last edited:
And then it was fall... almost over night it seems.
ff5ecf6a0d989c98c5f67486ebea0373.jpg

This hat had been used as umbrella many times. It seems to like it.
This one looks like it can handle it. Very cool image.

Touring out west of the Missouri again. My VS Bobby Blue has never been out this way, so I guess it was time.

7d7186b7d931d21c41ae9c67a937f187.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just gorgeous! Dig those shoes!

Flying to Baltimore today. Traveling in my Dobbs Cross Country. Seemed appropriate.

3e02ed71cc3f05207a9cd2f302f8736d.jpg

Appropriate indeed Jay. Have a good trip.

Good Sunday Morning. It’s gray and raining here today. I had to follow the lead and pull out and dust off the foul weather hat.
6296be87f9b2b0794903d226fd5247d8.jpg

Akubra “Campdraft Deluxe” in Moonstone. Have a great day!
Great looking workhorse D, perfect for a rainy Sunday.

Esther Weis loden green hunters felt
8486857e3fc4454c6505be88d726e811.jpg
Always love to see the Loden Harv. Such a great looking hat.

View attachment 136836 View attachment 136837 View attachment 136838 View attachment 136839 View attachment 136840 Marathon today. Probably 40s with the pleated liner and oilskin tip protector. 3” brim and one of my favorites
Very nice old Marathon Richard. Interesting lineage with a Stetson name connection. The use of "Ultra" is also something to research, don't see that word much in the 1940s.

Thanks Red. I think it was happy to get out into the woods. Also has the added appeal of being the same age as me.

Today, or this morning at least, I'm going with Gordon
DSCN5193 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
DSCN5176 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
DSCN5175 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
I ran out of whole bean coffee yesterday, so I think a resupply mission is getting penciled in for today.
DSCN5191 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
Michael
I would say that is more of a rescue mission. The Gordon looks so cool with that ensemble.

View attachment 136845 View attachment 136846 View attachment 136846
Here you go. This is a great hat I just don’t wear enough. The ribbon is same felt as the hat with a real simple keeper.
Great detail shot of that finish. Nice.

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
Thanks. I have a 7 1/8 head size. I always see a lot out there, but unfortunately living in Canada has put most vintage hats out of reach. Even modern ones are becoming too expensive with shipping + import fees.
Import fees? From the US to Canada? I didn't know there were any. Why don't you have your hats sent to a friend or relative in the US, and then invite them over, or go pick them up?

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
Thanks on both counts. I know there are a lot of us here that worry about our animals. The bandage is mighty big on Nellie but the actual cut and scar is about the size of my wife's palm of her hand may be 3x3" now. But because of where it is at you have to bandage dang near her entire leg to keep a bandage on. Looks worse than it really is. Just glad it wasn't any worse.

Another one of our wayward crew today....this is Boo. She is our other 2 year old filly. Both are sweethearts we've had with us since they were weaned.
42389309_514711532270201_6249354209418805248_n.jpg

If you like Appy's or just horses and blue sky take a look here. We are no doubt very blessed.

https://www.facebook.com/Elkhorn-Ranch-at-Ten-Mile-159297984478226/
See me on Google Maps! https://maps.app.goo.gl/PeIMMe9SU2KJ2ifS2

I thought it would be interesting to post the route I would have to drive to visit you, yahoody.

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
Max, do the sweats have a Dobs logo or just the word Dobbs printed on them. If not they are probably replacement sweats. If they do then they are really unusual Dobbs. Our most authoritative source http://www.thehattedprofessor.com/datedobbspart2.html tells us that the only size tags from the 50s or 60s are the oval brown tag or one similar to those on your hats but using gold colored media
Neither of the sweats has a dobs logo. They each have a marking that says "Sommers Hat Co. Billings, Mont."
Only the brown hat has a liner.

Took some quick pictures of the new haul arriving today. Stefan outdid himself on this one. The details will be added to the appropriate threads later. He also tossed a couple of his macabre liners, have to get pictures to show.

Mayser Panama, I'll have a chance to wear this one next week some.
View attachment 136627 View attachment 136628

Lodenfrey (Store name) Lord's Hat (ish) probably made by P.C. Habig
View attachment 136629 View attachment 136630

Barbisio in a wonderful finish. So soft and supple. Kind of a taper to the crown.
View attachment 136631 View attachment 136632

Gray Bowler from Dunn & Co. Probably modern (maybe 1970s?) Great lines and brim curl. Needs a stretch.
View attachment 136633 View attachment 136634
Been away for a few days and there's a whole new thread in place! Can't get rid of me that easy. Good that the hats made it across, Mike. Pity that the bowler runs so small.

Most excellent, Mike! Stefan is a wonderful source for continental hat. I image every block has a couple of antique store packed the the gills with cheap vintage hats. I guy can dream, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
That would be something, Brent. It's only every other block though:D

I wish I had their problem. Sheesh. It's like hearing my friend Willy complaining about the intricacies and troubles of investing his money.

Hey, I've got serious storage space problems here! ;)

Qrowin

Familiar Face
Import fees? From the US to Canada? I didn't know there were any. Why don't you have your hats sent to a friend or relative in the US, and then invite them over, or go pick them up?

Duty/taxes that are very high are basically import fees. Unfortunately I have no friends or relatives in the US. But my mother has married an American, so once she has her green card and moves to Texas later this year, that will be my in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider