Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
For all those who kindly asked for a translation of the article I published yesterday, I say: do not despair I am working on a translation that has meaning in English :)
Tirard Glasgow 1.jpg

Continuing the Homburg & Festivity series between a shower of rain and another today I wore a Diplomatique (or Homburg) Tirard.
Tirard Glasgow 2.jpg

The hat arrived new from Strasbourg a few years ago in what was the mother of all my finds of antique hats.
Tirard Ragondia - Maison fondé en 1780. The size is 60 cm or 7 1/2 in US.
Tirard Glasgow 3.jpg

The felt is of medium consistency and easy malleability and has ribbons adorning it of the same color.
The felt has a nouance called Glasgow and some other information on the paper label.
Tirard Glasgow 4.jpg
The address of the A. Meer store is the one that was in use from the late 1940s to the 1980s.
Tirard closed the doors in 1956 so the hat is from the late forties, early fifties.
Tirard Glasgow 5.jpg

Thanks for the likes and congratulations to all of you for the hats you show me every day

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
I never get tired of that one, Michael. Looks like a nice warm suit.
It's one that is easy to get used to. And yes, that is definitely a winter suit.

Good to see it again, Michael. Mine will have to wait until Italian week is finished.
Surely there has to be a Hanover Square somewhere in Italy? But as long as you are thinking of the Dobbs while you show off the fine Italian collection it probably won't feel too neglected.

Thanks,
Michael

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
A beauty, Jonathan!

View attachment 295647 Today I use an interview photo. It was made in these days for a newspaper, the Corriere di Verona attached to the Corriere della Sera, which published it yesterday.
It is a summary of my life as a photographer and other forms of expression ;)
For those who want I can also translate the text :rolleyes:
Well deserved exposure for the photographer who is te best advertising for the city of Verona.

Charles Knox in a bit of fresh snow.
IMG_0016 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
IMG_0015 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
IMG_0017 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
12-28-2020 Today's Clothes by Michael A2012, on Flickr
Have a good day,
Michael
The best weather for it, Michael. Fluffy goodness!

Two very different hats, but with quality in common. Very nice, Joe.

My girls and me, keeping our appointment at Untermeyer Park to see the Christmas lights tonight. VS black cherry. Not too cold, not too crowded and not too spectacular. Was nice to get out all together though. View attachment 295851 View attachment 295852
Nice hat and nice pics, Alan.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
A classic design and color, Daniele. You wear it well and I must say that style of hat seems to suit you.

For all those who kindly asked for a translation of the article I published yesterday, I say: do not despair I am working on a translation that has meaning in English :)
View attachment 296048
Continuing the Homburg & Festivity series between a shower of rain and another today I wore a Diplomatique (or Homburg) Tirard.
View attachment 296049
The hat arrived new from Strasbourg a few years ago in what was the mother of all my finds of antique hats.
View attachment 296055
The felt is of medium consistency and easy malleability and has ribbons adorning it of the same color.
The felt has a nouance called Glasgow and some other information on the paper label.
View attachment 296056
The address of the A. Meer store is the one that was in use from the late 1940s to the 1980s.
Tirard closed the doors in 1956 so the hat is from the late forties, early fifties.
View attachment 296057
Thanks for the likes and congratulations to all of you for the hats you show me every day

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
C6210477-6572-4CEC-9B12-2152217DD597.jpeg
The hat I wear today is one you all have seen before, except now it sits on another head.
I bought this Shudde Brothers (jobber?) hat from professor Randy McCamey.
Another hat that I’ll be naming, “My MacKamie”.
It’s a high quality OR styled hat, and is the best felted western I’ve ever held. I’d like to know which hat company built, or might have built it, but there’s absolutely no info in the hat.
I’ve read a bunch about the Shudde store in Houston, haven’t found anything telling me what I’d like to know. Do any of y’all know who they may’ve used to build this hat?
They did custom work, but I’m not sure if they built hats from scratch.
The paper tag you may notice behind the reedless sweat is an address sticker that I’ve placed there as a reminder and was on the box sent from Randy. I’ve wrote it’s new name on the back.
I’m guessing this one to be an early 50s hat, but don’t have any real idea.

5057A1DC-FD54-4708-9E83-080259CB958F.jpeg
347C80C2-8E6A-445F-8F05-7F37C3B46A88.jpeg
9F43D5FA-990B-467E-9250-48EBBE39796F.jpeg

Last edited:

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
That Shudde looks right at home on you, Randall.

View attachment 296070 The hat I wear today is one you all have seen before, except now it sits on another head.
It’s a high quality OR styled hat, and is the best felted western I’ve ever held. I’d like to know which hat company built, or might have built it, but there’s absolutely no info in the hat.
I’ve read a bunch about the Shudde store in Houston, haven’t found anything telling me what I’d like to know. Do any of y’all know who they may’ve used to build this hat?
They did custom work, but I’m not sure if they built hats from scratch. View attachment 296067 View attachment 296074 View attachment 296075

View attachment 296048
View attachment 296049
View attachment 296055
View attachment 296056
View attachment 296057
It's a beauty, Daniele. I may not be telling you anything new here, but it only just occured to me this week :rolleyes: that Ragondia is nutria felt (Rat Gondin) and they just made the name a bit fancier. A maker like Tirard actually had it priced higher than their beaver felt (named castoria). It can be seen on this pre-war poster (under "chapeaux souples).

upload_2020-12-29_19-33-14.png

View attachment 296048
View attachment 296049
View attachment 296055
View attachment 296056
View attachment 296057
Beautiful homburg Daniele. I look forward to your translation

Two very different hats, but with quality in common. Very nice, Joe.
Indeed. One was my wear for the first half of the day. The other arrived on the doorstep and I couldn’t resist putting right to work for the evening. Thanks Stefan.

View attachment 296070 The hat I wear today is one you all have seen before, except now it sits on another head.
The paper tag you may notice behind the reedless sweat is an address sticker that I’ve placed there as a reminder and was on the box sent from Randy. I’ve wrote it’s new name on the back.

View attachment 296067 View attachment 296074 View attachment 296075
Interesting. That sweat looks a lot like the sweat in my Shudde OR 3X. I wonder if they installed their own sweats. Does it feel a tad thicker and more cushiony to than a normal Stetson sweat?

View attachment 296067 View attachment 296074 View attachment 296075
Very nice, Randall.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails