Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
Interesting. That sweat looks a lot like the sweat in my Shudde OR 3X. I wonder if they installed their own sweats. Does it feel a tad thicker and more cushiony to than a normal Stetson sweat?

No, Joe, this one’s not especially thick, or cushiony. But it’s very, very nice and in mint condition.
Your sweatband is reeded with a sewn rear seam and definitely a Stetson product, I imagine. Probably a Stetson built hat sold at the Shudde store with their embossment.
I’m not sure about this one. It’s reedless and has a taped, only, rear seam. A high quality hat, to be sure.
Whoever made it!

No, Joe, this one’s not especially thick, or cushiony. But it’s very, very nice and in mint condition.
Your sweatband is reeded with a sewn rear seam and definitely a Stetson product, I imagine. Probably a Stetson built hat sold at the Shudde store with their embossment.
I’m not sure about this one. It’s reedless and has a taped, only, rear seam. A high quality hat, to be sure.
Whoever made it!
Gotcha. Something just felt a bit different with mine. Can’t exactly put my finger on it. Your new Shudde looks great and great on you Randall. Enjoy.

Snowman

Practically Family
View attachment 296070 The hat I wear today is one you all have seen before, except now it sits on another head.
I bought this Shudde Brothers (jobber?) hat from professor Randy McCamey.
Another hat that I’ll be naming, “My MacKamie”.
It’s a high quality OR styled hat, and is the best felted western I’ve ever held. I’d like to know which hat company built, or might have built it, but there’s absolutely no info in the hat.
I’ve read a bunch about the Shudde store in Houston, haven’t found anything telling me what I’d like to know. Do any of y’all know who they may’ve used to build this hat?
They did custom work, but I’m not sure if they built hats from scratch.
The paper tag you may notice behind the reedless sweat is an address sticker that I’ve placed there as a reminder and was on the box sent from Randy. I’ve wrote it’s new name on the back.
I’m guessing this one to be an early 50s hat, but don’t have any real idea.

View attachment 296067 View attachment 296074 View attachment 296075
Great hat, and it looks great on you.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Whoever made it!
I believe i’ve read in scattered threads and discussions that Stetson and Resistol were used but no documented clarifications of when or who did what. I could be mis-remembering.
Nevertheless, Shudde Bros. provided some fine felted hats of distinction for a long time. I have a Pure Beaver SB OR style that is the equal to 7X CB ORs all be it somewhat stiffer.
B

Miller Western

63004430-2BC4-492F-88D8-9323F16121F0.jpeg
366062E4-5DEA-4861-BDBE-46BFE52CE9E4.jpeg

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Oh, please do! Congrats Daniele!

The main man, congratulations on the article! Well deserved recognition, Daniele.

Very nice Daniele!!!

Very nice Daniele. I will be anxious to read the translation.

How could we not??
Please do kind Sir.
B

Congratulations on the recognition, Daniele. Please do translate it.

Congratulations on the recognition. I’d love to read the article in English.

Of course we want a translation, if you would be so kind, Daniele! You’re now international news!!

Beautiful homburg Daniele. I look forward to your translation

This is the presentation of the newspaper
“Tipi Veronesi” is a Sunday proposal by the Corriere di Verona which intends to tell, through the story of more or less famous people, the evolution of our city. A look at the past turned to the future entrusted to the pen of our collaborator Lorenzo Fabiano. For any reports write to corrierediverona@corriereveneto.it or lorenzo.fabiano@me.com

A little note from me
It was a two hour long interview with a friend and he made a resume with sense, some parts are a little bit too simple, but anyway it works. He is a journalist specialize in social and sport with a favourite subject: life and its stories.

Here is the translation, hoping it has enough meaning
As soon as possible I will also put you some photographs of that period

"In the photographs I put my life"

The gray hair that pops out under the inevitable hat: "I have an immense collection. When I was young, the old people wore the hat. I am 67 years old, so… ». The stamp of irony, to the point that you never know if it's serious or not; the wisdom of those who have seen and lived so many; the clarity of mind of a romantic, an incurable idealist who the world would like to see him as it dreams of. Nice guy Daniele Tanto, photographer, intellectual of those who don't pull it off, rock in his veins: "Voice in the bands, but more than a singer, I was a can-Tanto" he laughs. The hills of Avesa, its Strawberry Fields: «Area of services and miners, where everything revolved around the parish. My father, who had worked as a teleprinter at the American command, was transferred to the Ministry of Defense in Padua; my working mom at Glaxo; I grew up in my grandparents' house, open people who opened the doors of knowledge to me ». The love for photography blossomed precisely in those days: "They were subscribers to Epoca, I was captured by those photos. I stayed with them until the end of middle school ». Daniele earns freedom soon, he is still a kid but he comes and goes from home independently. He studies his first camera in 1968 as a correspondent company expert in foreign languages: «My father's Comet Bencini, very simple. In 1972 when I graduated, they gave me a Minolta SRT 101 reflex camera as a gift ». English rock by the Animals, the Kinks, the Rolling Stones and the Who; loves French poetry, Italian and foreign literature; his grandmother used to say to him: «You have small hands, son. They are made to study”, and he studies, Lettere Moderne in Padua, where he enrolled in 1972: «In Avesa we were the long-haired, alternative boys hungry for the world and new frontiers; people went on trips to India, but it seemed a fashion to me, and I stayed here ». In the universities turbulence breaks out: «Clashes and unrest; I saw shooting in the streets. The student spirit was no longer there, violence and militancy had taken hold: I believe in respect between people, in the confrontation between different ideas, but I hate prevarication ". It is a world that no longer feels its own. He lives a love affair with a girl from Avesa, a Catholic and conservative family: "Her parents didn't see me well, they asked me if I wanted to marry her and I said no. She was thrown out of the house, I wanted to help her, so I started looking for a job”. He finds it together with his friend Riccardo Ceranto: "In an advertising agency. Within a day, Riccardo and I started earning our first money”. The love story ends in separate ways, but there is no turning back. Hired by a photographic studio in factory district of Verona, he left the university in 1978; he and Ceranto set up their own business and open their own studio: "Riccardo told me that there was a friend who wanted to open a photo studio: he had super equipment, we looked for a suitable location and found it at the Village in Viale Sicilia. Gianni Burato worked with us as a graphic designer. So in 1979 Chato ( a sub-chief of Geronimo Apache Mescalero-Chiricahua) was born “ Here you see the Chato Photo&Grafica crew
Chato.jpg

Daniele will remain there until 2001: “Advertising investments suffered a decline. Our world became less and less analog and more digital, until it crumbled”. No condemnation for online, on the contrary: "Until ten years ago the tangible medium was the book; today there are beautiful reproductions online; I like this thing, it is a diffusion of photography that can reach many eyes”. Closed with advertising pictures, Daniele takes care of the artistic side; he founded the Photographer's Laboratory, an association dedicated to the dissemination of photographic culture, and holds courses in schools: «Beautiful. I was able to convey to the boys what the expression means and become aware of it. You decide that that is your photo, not the photo that comes from you. Photography is an expression of your reminiscences, of your experiences, you put everything you have seen and experienced in your life into it ". Monica has been at his side since 1984: "Daughter of artists, she is the first person I have had close with whom I was able to develop cultural exchanges". They have two children, Davide with a degree in Philosophy, and Geneva with a degree in Oriental Languages. Monica, graduated in theoretical physics, deals with training for managers. In the seventies Daniele put on the 45 rpm as a DJ at Radio City One: today he does it on social media: "On Radio Scampoli, just to have fun". And to have fun, he never stopped. As? Never taking yourself too seriously. An art.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
It's a beauty, Daniele. I may not be telling you anything new here, but it only just occured to me this week :rolleyes: that Ragondia is nutria felt (Rat Gondin) and they just made the name a bit fancier. A maker like Tirard actually had it priced higher than their beaver felt (named castoria). It can be seen on this pre-war poster (under "chapeaux souples).
Thanks for the information about the Tirard definition of the felt quality. I thought some time ago of the assonance between the two words: rat Gondin and Ragondia, but I had not come to any conclusion. Well, old ads are good for something. I think I have others of the same type :)

Borsalino Petrol (I made the name up: it doesn't have a label)
img_2859-jpg.296079
Molto bello! Penso di conoscerlo...I wish it was my size :rolleyes:

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
I believe i’ve read in scattered threads and discussions that Stetson and Resistol were used but no documented clarifications of when or who did what. I could be mis-remembering.
Nevertheless, Shudde Bros. provided some fine felted hats of distinction for a long time. I have a Pure Beaver SB OR style that is the equal to 7X CB ORs all be it somewhat stiffer.
B
B

Thanks, B, for the info. I had heard or read somewhere that they may have used Stetson for their jobbers, but I wasn’t positive. If this is an early 50s hat, I would submit that the ribbon attachment is done a little differently than Stetson. I’m not very familiar with Resistols of this era, but I will say that Harry Rolnick did especially good work.
Could it be that they bought Stetson or Resistol hats—sans liners, hatbands and binding, then Shudde’s in house custom hatters added them?
I’d judge the felt of this hat to be of better quality than any 3x and add that it’s very supple and soft, yet holds a shape especially well.
I’ve never held a 7X , so I’m not able to make a judgement, but I’ve owned at least 30 ORs and as many clones. None of those come close to this hat.
I’m impressed with the hat, no matter who made it. Wish we knew!

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
Taking a break from taking down our Christmas decorations. Bluegrass Stylemaster was the hat of choice for today.

View attachment 296196

Have a safe and joyful evening!

Steven

Nice hat, Steven. Decoration removal can be a job needing several breaks!

And speaking of Bluegrass Stylemasters;
Tony Rice, The premier progressive Bluegrass guitar legend passed away at age 69 on Christmas Day while making coffee. We don’t yet know what caused his “painless” demise, but he will be painfully missed in the BG genre. A master at lead and rhythm guitar who changed the way all of us proceeding guitar musicians played.
He was a perfectionist who invented and perfected a highly technical, powerful, yet tasteful style and “brand” of his own.
We think of him as a modernized Bill Monroe or Earl Scruggs. Innovators who will forever live in future musicians who try to immulate Bluegrass style masters!

Last edited:

1967Cougar390

Practically Family
Nice hat, Steven. Decoration removal can be a job needing several breaks!

And speaking of Bluegrass Stylemasters;
Tony Rice, The premier progressive Bluegrass guitar legend passed away at age 69 on Christmas Day while making coffee. We don’t yet know what caused his “painless” demise, but he will be painfully missed in the BG genre. A master at lead and rhythm guitar who changed the way all of us proceeding guitar musicians played.
He was a perfectionist who invented and perfected a highly technical, powerful, yet tasteful style and “brand” of his own.
We think of him as a modernized Bill Monroe or Earl Scruggs. Innovators who will forever live in future musicians who try to immulate Bluegrass style masters!

Thanks for sharing that information Randall.
Steven

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, B, for the info. I had heard or read somewhere that they may have used Stetson for their jobbers, but I wasn’t positive. If this is an early 50s hat, I would submit that the ribbon attachment is done a little differently than Stetson. I’m not very familiar with Resistols of this era, but I will say that Harry Rolnick did especially good work.
Could it be that they bought Stetson or Resistol hats—sans liners, hatbands and binding, then Shudde’s in house custom hatters added them?
I’d judge the felt of this hat to be of better quality than any 3x and add that it’s very supple and soft, yet holds a shape especially well.
I’ve never held a 7X , so I’m not able to make a judgement, but I’ve owned at least 30 ORs and as many clones. None of those come close to this hat.
I’m impressed with the hat, no matter who made it. Wish we knew!

Shudde Brothers thread.
Some similar discussion.
B
94FBD87A-19F2-4E27-96F0-16BA55D512F1.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails