Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yipes- Stripes!

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
I was over at Northwest Hats this morning and Mike was finishing up this hat a customer had brought in. It had a 3 inch brim and he wanted it cut down with an edge binding put on. Mike wanted to try something he hadn't done before. So he did an edge binding with two contrasting colors, one overlaid on the other with a matching ribbon. I was pretty impressed with the stitching. If you didn't get the second one overlaid and sewn on perfectly it would really show up. It was perfect, no variance at all anywhere around the brim. I'm going to have him do one for me. I hope the owner doesn't mind me posting pics of it.

DSCN0812_zps2b3cc90a.jpg

DSCN0813_zps998e2a41.jpg

fedoralover

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
VERY cool, Fedoralover. I've seen that treatment on some vintage hats, but I don't believe I have seen a modern day hatter try it. I can imagine it must be extremely difficult!

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
It may be too much for some people but I really like it. It took an ordinary looking hat and put some "POP" into it. I have a thin ribbon Stetson that I'm going to have this done to.

fedoralover

Alive'n'Amplified

Call Me a Cab
Mike's getting a lot of attention here. Thanks for these shots, fedoralover! I'm extremely confident that Mike will do some great things with my hats that I recently sent.

I've done that double-binding thing a few times. The first one started as a wide binding in white, which, besides being awfully stark, was also kinda impractical for use in the real world, where people are known to eat fried chicken (for instance) with their fingers and then handle their hats. So I put a narrower binding in a blue color atop it.

It's pretty cool in its way, but I can't say that I've had much call for it.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
I think it's going to be something for those of us that have a lot of hats and want to have something a little different in the mix. Not something I would want on all my hats, but nice on at least one. Also a way to jazz up an other wise so so looking hat.

Tony, I think a blue over white would look pretty sharp, do you have any pics?

Last edited:

scooter

Practically Family
Well, I, for one, like it. I think it's a unique and stylish look. Of course, I suppose I should like it, it's my hat! :D

I came up with this particular color combination along with Mike's help. I suppose it's not for everyone, and I agree, you probably wouldn't want every hat you owned to sport this look, but I am very pleased and can't wait to wear it.

seabass

Call Me a Cab
Scooter,
This is Nice ! & i cant wait to see more detail of this hat.

Fedoralover, Thanks for posting this up.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Neat. I have a really terrible and misshapen wool fedora with double binding from Hats in the Belfry. The binding, though modern ribbon, was rather well done. Will post pics later.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Here you go-- this would be a very cool hat if it weren't soft, pet fur attracting wool... but my wife actually got this one for me, so here it stays.

019wbm.jpg

017copylg.jpg

023gw.jpg

This is the nicest it has ever looked. It won't stay like this for long!

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Well, I, for one, like it. I think it's a unique and stylish look. Of course, I suppose I should like it, it's my hat! :D

I came up with this particular color combination along with Mike's help. I suppose it's not for everyone, and I agree, you probably wouldn't want every hat you owned to sport this look, but I am very pleased and can't wait to wear it.
DSCN0812_zps2b3cc90a.jpg

I'm glad you didn't mind me posting a pic of it. I thought it was pretty cool and whenever Mike has time he's going to do one for me. I'm only about 5 minutes from Mikes shop so I stop in frequently just to see what he's working on.

fedora

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo