Ask a question, get an answer

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Lefty, Sep 2, 2009.

1. drmaxtejeda

drmaxtejeda I'll Lock Up

How rare is this one I just bought?
    Imperial Stetson Tijuana.
    I like it.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

2. drmaxtejeda

drmaxtejeda I'll Lock Up

Did anyone see "The Blacklist" episode where Reddington buys Winston Churchill's hat in three million dollars?

3. Hat and Rehat

Hat and Rehat Practically Family

Another way to look at it is like an auto body man would look at a dented fender (back when they used to fix thrm, not just oorder a new one). The pressing Bill described stretched and compressed the felt unequally, because some force was very direct, while some was more lateral. Molocules of metal in the fender are moved from place to place.
    The old body man adage was, first in, last out. So they would use the hammer and dolly to compress the sections that became thicker in the crash (the new convex bends) before raising the point of impact (a new concave bend, which is now thinner.)
    I took cheap, used, wool hats I bought at the thrift store and soaked them in water. They look like a hood that a hatter would order before starting a hat. After trying to restrech a couple, but on "wannablocks" (as in wannabe) made at home from construction foam, I found thicker areas from prior creasing. Foam blocks have too much give to really stretch a felt, or even to press one. I started using a hard ball as close to crown radius as possible wrapped in foil, which was a softball that hadn't been hit much. Then I used the body man adage, trying to picture how a press would have moved the felt from the thin areas to the thick ones, kneading and pushing it back as much as I could.
    Some thick wools wouldn't lose all of it. On fur I was able to get all the memory out of a cowboy weight, and I raised a Sovereign crown at the front for a tighter pinch and teardrop. That's when I realized what deadlyhandsome mentioned. If the crease was there long enough dirt accumulated unevenly enough to leave a shadow from staining.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Rmccamey, Zombie_61 and Bill Hughes like this.
  4. Hat and Rehat

I've been working on blocks now instead of felt, trying my hand at making hard ones myself.
    As I thought about the staining shadow on my Sovereign a thought came to me. I did give it a naptha bath, but only for an hour. I was trying not to soak the sweat, and only had the top submerged, but realized it was wicking into the entire hat. The staining remained. I had already steamed that stain into the felt though by then, in the process of erasing the original crease. Maybe if I did everything to address the dirt first, then blocked the top of the crown, I would have less shadow.
    I'm a little nervous about full immersion in naptha. One guy on YouTube eliminated all of his embossing on the sweatband. Maybe it was just a cheap hat.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

5. deadlyhandsome

deadlyhandsome I'll Lock Up

I’ve never seen naptha remove the debossing; I’m assuming you mean the foil and not the actual imprint. Then again my experience is very limited.

If the leather is in good condition the naptha shouldn’t damage it. It will strip the leather of all its oils so a good conditioning is needed (some folks condition before and after, but at a minimum condition it after). If the sweatband has dry rotted, even if it still looks perfect, the naptha can cause the leather to fall apart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bill Hughes likes this.
  6. Hat and Rehat

me out he was pretty happy, but it did mess up something, and I believe it was sweat band markings.
    I think Sovereign and my Silverbelly. It worried me enough I tried to only do the crowns.
    I'll have try to find the video for review. I do remember that Kevin, from JJ Hat, who has a pretty big youtube following, was aghast at using strong chemicals on your hat. He commented in that section.

7. Hat and Rehat

Alert! Missing text.
    I'm not sure what happened there. I don't have time right no to write it over presently.

8. itsallgood

itsallgood Familiar Face

Thanks. I like the image of moving the felt. Moving and kneading. I get that. Reminds me of a materials class I took over 40 years ago in my engineering program. Metal can flow, I suppose the interlocking fibers of felt can as well. A clean softball is probably as good a proxy for a block as any that I'll find laying around the house.

9. Xylophile

Xylophile One of the Regulars

I would second that on the Akubra Country Club, should work fine for the pool. I'll mention you can steam them kind of like felt to shape them. I needed to raise the crown to keep it from pushing down on my hair and interfering with the venting action.

deadlyhandsome likes this.
  10. Rmccamey

Rmccamey One Too Many

Body man, now that's a term I have not heard in a while. My dad, uncle, and grand dad were all body men for many years during their lives. I've done many a days work with a body hammer and sanding block myself. Maybe I'll have to give it a try with a few felts :)

Hat and Rehat and Zombie_61 like this.
  11. drmaxtejeda

drmaxtejeda I'll Lock Up

12. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

drmaxtejeda likes this.
  13. Rockwater

Rockwater A-List Customer

drmaxtejeda likes this.
  14. Greencanoes

Greencanoes New in Town

Thanks for the reply. I ended up delving into the wonderful world of RCMP government tender processes and discovered the last contractor for RCMP "hats, felt" was Biltmore Hats based in Garland Texas. The last contract was for some 450 hats and was in 2017.

Rmccamey likes this.
  15. scottyrocks

scottyrocks I'll Lock Up

When I (used to) go in the water, I would bring/wear a cloth bucket hat because they can get wet with no damage . . . no, not no damage, but who cares if it gets wet and fades/loses shape, etc, it's a cloth bucket hat.

Zombie_61 and drmaxtejeda like this.
  16. scottyrocks

scottyrocks I'll Lock Up

I've had very good (although not perfect) results using the bottom of a stainless steel tablespoon on felt hats that been pulled down on a block and steamed, and then carefully smoothed over the crease with the bottom of the spoon. Several steamings and massagings often do the trick, although there is sometimes a mark that takes time to go away.

17. itsallgood

itsallgood Familiar Face

The body man visual was very helpful. I had a little time today so went ahead and did it.

Here are two with the original machine-driven factory crease:

a (1).JPG

a (2).JPG

I pulled out the liner, steamed the crown and popped it out. Let things dry, repeated two more times. This was a little tricky. I didn't feel like rummaging around the shed to find a softball, so I used an apple that was sitting on the counter. Getting into the edges aggressively with my fingers left gobs of felt on my hand when I pulled away. But, then remembering the body man visual, and quite frankly remembering what it was like playing with the kids and their Play-Doh, kneading adjacent areas into the crease worked. Steaming over the tea kettle and then three fingers up into the inside of the crown and three fingers outside rolled perpendicular had the most success.

a (3).JPG

Here it is with a simple centerdent. It's a little difficult trying to represent the change because the photos foreshorten the perspective, but in person, the change is a significant improvement. To say I'm pleased would be an understatement. Thanks for your help guys.

a (4).JPG a (5).JPG a (6).JPG

18. drmaxtejeda

drmaxtejeda I'll Lock Up

I have a question about wpi.
    According to the seller, there are about 1100 here.
    I count 1600... Am I counting wrongly?[​IMG][​IMG]

Zombie_61 and deadlyhandsome like this.
  19. deadlyhandsome

deadlyhandsome I'll Lock Up

I love you like a brother, Max, but I’m not counting those tiny weaves. My eyes give me enough trouble as it is. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rmccamey, Zombie_61 and drmaxtejeda like this.
  20. drmaxtejeda

drmaxtejeda I'll Lock Up

Hahaha. I will send you a PM in a bit.

deadlyhandsome likes this.