Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat and Rehat

Call Me a Cab
Here's another question. Has anyone found a perfect container for naptha baths?
A guy on YouTube used a 5 gallon bucket, but that's too small for a lot of brims.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Hat and Rehat

Call Me a Cab
That's what I use, but they get smushed up anyway and pretty much retain their old shape after the bath. Reflanging is sometimes called for.
Thanks.
Do you do more than one at a time?
Ol' Henri Epitinger did. I cant remember if the dirtiest went on the bottom or top.
I have the book.

Hat and Rehat

Call Me a Cab
Of you were to reblock the crown of a hat 70 some years old that had obviously not been babied, would the top of it be a little baggy on the block before steam and stretching?
2e74954dfc365d22b8cda2cd972163c9.jpg

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
Here's another question. Has anyone found a perfect container for naptha baths?
A guy on YouTube used a 5 gallon bucket, but that's too small for a lot of brims.

A big one of these is perfect, especially if it has a drain near the bottom. You can put two or three hats in there at the same time, and the cover keeps the naphta smell from stinking up the area.
When you're done, you can just open the drain and dispose of the dirty naphta, or try to filter it if you can.
17665cd7933e7b886c1d0a003ff7e7c8.jpg

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
Of you were to reblock the crown of a hat 70 some years old that had obviously not been babied, would the top of it be a little baggy on the block before steam and stretching?
2e74954dfc365d22b8cda2cd972163c9.jpg

That depends on whether the block is the same size and shape as the one used to make the hat.

Hat and Rehat

Call Me a Cab
That depends on whether the block is the same size and shape as the one used to make the hat.

Then that was a no, I guess. Or perhaps a maybe.
I was trying to make my block as true to an 0052 as possible. It was also supposed to be 7 1/8, 22 1/2". I didn't have a 7 1/8 hat. with the sweat removed, so used the 7 1/4 Mallory to help me refine the curves into the top of the crown. The Mallory open has almost the same shape as a lot of the crowns I open with a fairly straight top and one end breaking a little earlier into a wider radius curve than the other. The top itself is a little more convex than most though.
The to reproduce tag calls for a 5288 block, with another # 53 1/8 I assume is the flange.
The hat seems to be telling me I need to round the block more, but I dont quite trust it because other hats look flatter on top but otherwise the same.
I guess its all moot now, because I got chased inside by thunderstorms, then decided to strip sweatbands in need of work from two 7 1/8 hats. I didnt try them on the block yet, but at least have the control group I need to decode if the block needs modification.
Thanks for your response though.
Have you ever reblocked a faded hat inside out? Has anyone (this question is to the Lounge at large)? I'm thinking about it with the stratoliner I also stripped.

Hat and Rehat

Call Me a Cab
What did Ol’ Henri use?
That, I believe, he kept to himself. From the way he talks about stacking hats it might be as big as a trash can, or maybe a small oil drum. That may jave been the way "gasoline" was delivered in his time.
He used two of whatever it was, one for light and one for dark hats. If I remember correctly, the dark hat naptha never needed filtering or changing.
I should probably go review the pertinent chapter of his book.

Just A Hat Rack

Practically Family
Anyone have any firsthand experience with the Az-Tex hats that keep popping up on ebay? I’m most interested in their 5X Beaver hats, but any information would be appreciated.

7aad3b0924bb329b11d8e9aa3274fadd.jpg

151498e1f3a123eeba6e8f25ae1a67c7.jpg

5c24a5aa4257833111ec46edb68e5a68.jpg

807aaa38c748bcbc5ced7765600aa03a.jpg

576b67d790478f11b6421ebc61a4d8d4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I've been to their store in Scottsdale a couple of times. Of the few hats that I've handled, the hand seemed very nice. They aren't cheap either. I wouldn't mind owning one at all.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Just A Hat Rack

Practically Family
Anyone have any firsthand experience with the Az-Tex hats that keep popping up on ebay? I’m most interested in their 5X Beaver hats, but any information would be appreciated.

7aad3b0924bb329b11d8e9aa3274fadd.jpg

151498e1f3a123eeba6e8f25ae1a67c7.jpg

5c24a5aa4257833111ec46edb68e5a68.jpg

807aaa38c748bcbc5ced7765600aa03a.jpg

576b67d790478f11b6421ebc61a4d8d4.jpg

I should probably add that I was there before I joined the Lounge, so I was pretty ignorant in knowing the quality of craftsmanship with felts, sweats, etc. I do remember that the felt was very nice, and they had a lot to offer that tickled my fancy. I'm not sure if they have any factory offerings, but they do have some pre-made hats, as well as customs. They also do refurbishments. If the price were right, and my wallet was willing, I'd definitely love to get my hands on at least one from them.

I should probably add that I was there before I joined the Lounge, so I was pretty ignorant in knowing the quality of craftsmanship with felts, sweats, etc. I do remember that the felt was very nice, and they had a lot to offer that tickled my fancy. I'm not sure if they have any factory offerings, but they do have some pre-made hats, as well as customs. They also do refurbishments. If the price were right, and my wallet was willing, I'd definitely love to get my hands on at least one from them.

Thanks. I read a review by Dennis @DRB of their straw hats and I’ve been on their website, but there’s not a lot of good information on them. The seller is responsive, but doesn’t know much and has them listed as being made of wool. The blue hat looks interesting (I’m calling it periwinkle for a friend ;) )
The tan also looks good. They all have stampede strings, but that doesn’t bother me. Hmmm.

Hat and Rehat

Call Me a Cab
I clicked on "links to important hat topics" before, but had no immediate need to delve into an important topic, and that was the end of it.
Tonight I clicked it again, with a need, remembering that at the begining was a link about removing odors from hats.
It was right there, as I remembered.
When I click on it I get nothing, just a message I don't understand about needing a valid topic in my browser. Huh?

Bertie.Wooster

One of the Regulars
Question here.
For the zig zag stitch used to stitch the leather sweatband (not to the hat but you know the part where I mean) do I need some special sewing machine or should a regular household machine be able to stitch a zig zag into leather?

JessieJames

One of the Regulars
What type of crease is this? It's so nice and I've never seen anything like it, it's like a teardrop and a cattleman had a baby

And I want that hat, exactly as is, it's beautiful, the color, the shape, everything
from this video interview:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-05-28 at 10.08.44 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-05-28 at 10.08.44 AM.png
    66.6 KB · Views: 728
  • Screen Shot 2019-05-28 at 10.09.22 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-05-28 at 10.09.22 AM.png
    194 KB · Views: 605
  • Screen Shot 2019-05-28 at 10.09.44 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-05-28 at 10.09.44 AM.png
    162.3 KB · Views: 611
  • Screen Shot 2019-05-28 at 10.12.10 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-05-28 at 10.12.10 AM.png
    74.6 KB · Views: 745
Last edited:

humanshoes

One Too Many
What type of crease is this? It's so nice and I've never seen anything like it, it's like a teardrop and a cattleman had a baby

And I want that hat, exactly as is, it's beautiful, the color, the shape, everything
from this video interview:
Here's an awesome little chart from A.A. Callister. It shows some of the basic cowboy hat style bashes, but of course, the varieties are only limited by the wearer's imagination. Her hat appears to be a modified Dakota style bash.
Cowboy Hat Styles.jpg

Ed321

New in Town
Hello, this question concerns the Stetson Bogie Beaver. The brim is advertised as 2 1/2 inches. Has anyone actually measured it and, if so, can you tell me: Is it actually a full 2 1/2 inches, or is it a tad short, closer to 2 3/8, like the Chatham? Thank you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112