Ask a question, get an answer

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Lefty, Sep 2, 2009.

1. the uncowboy

the uncowboy New in Town

I've lost patience and decided to try the "nuclear option." The hat got a hot bath today.

bath.jpg

Given what they do to my clothes, I don't trust the local dry cleaners. So I decided to do something that I can control. If I ruin it, so be it. Ran a hot bath with a tablespoon of laundry detergent. Soaked the hat for about 5 minutes, then scrubbed it down with a natural bristle brush. Gave it a hot water rinse, and it is now out drying in the sun. Looks OK so far. Fingers crossed.

Steinbockhase and Bill Hughes like this.
  2. The Jackal

The Jackal One of the Regulars

I couldn't find a dedicated thread on it, so I'll ask here.

Any suggestions on a hat to wear to the pool?

My buddy is opening his pool up for the summer next weekend, and that's one place above all others that I've not been without a hat since I started wearing them again. I don't want to break that streak just cause I may end up wearing the hat on a floaty with a drink in my hand.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Zombie_61 likes this.
  3. deadlyhandsome

deadlyhandsome I'll Lock Up

My choice for brimmed hats around water is polypropylene. Make sure it’s well-vented as it otherwise won’t breath and your head will be a sauna. I like my Akubra Country Club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Zombie_61 and Rmccamey like this.
  4. Hat and Rehat

Hat and Rehat One Too Many

Sometimes you have to be bold! I hope it works out well.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  5. Rmccamey

Rmccamey One Too Many

I don't know that I would dry in direct sun, however.

Zombie_61 and hatsRme like this.
  6. hatsRme

hatsRme I'll Lock Up

Here...

https://www.delmonicohatter.com/product/63117.htm

7. jonesy86

jonesy86 Call Me a Cab

Anyone know a source for quality modern hats in Germany?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Greencanoes

Greencanoes New in Town

I have been reading through campaign hat threads but have come up empty.

My question is, does anyone know who is the CURRENT supplier of "stetsons" to the Royal Canadian Mounted Police?

As far as I could see, Biltmore in Canada were a supplier, but not currently.

Attached Files:

deadlyhandsome likes this.
  9. deadlyhandsome

Stratton is currently the dominant supplier of campaign hats in the US. I don’t know if they supply the RCMP.

10. Michael Sayers

Michael Sayers New in Town

Where is a good place to buy a Stetson hat pin. My new Stetson Panama hat did not come with one and I like the look.

11. Robieman

Robieman One of the Regulars

I have found them on Ebay in the past.

12. Michael Sayers

Michael Sayers New in Town

Ok, I will look into that. Thanks

13. itsallgood

itsallgood Familiar Face

Last summer, somewhat on impulse, I bought a Stetson Barnstormer at the outlet store in Garland. This is a modern, fur, Royal Quality, short brim, teardrop hat. Love the cornhill color, but have come to the conclusion it's not the best look for my face. If I steam the crown thoroughly, pop it out, and reshape to a centercrease or centerdent, do you think it will stay? Or, will the embedded shellac and what-have-you always show a crease line and want to return to the original bash?

14. mayserwegener

mayserwegener

Seems photo resolution is reduced (I could be wrong). It appears the resolution is correct when the photo is expanded (click on it). The photo is Large 1024 (1024 x 678) (Flickr link). I believe this started when the board was updated.

[​IMG]

Steinbockhase and Bill Hughes like this.
  15. Bill Hughes

Bill Hughes One Too Many

It should stay but you very well may have a crease line from the original factory set crease.

16. deadlyhandsome

+1

17. itsallgood

itsallgood Familiar Face

Thanks Bill. Is there any way to get around that? I don't have a block to stretch the rather short crown over, nor do I want to increase my investment in this hat, which is about $49. Would a swish in Coleman white gas do anything to dissolve the hat stiffener that may be wanting to hold that crease line? Any other suggestions?

18. Bill Hughes

Bill Hughes One Too Many

The problem will not be the stiffener. The factory set crease is not done by hand. It is pressed in with machinery. If an old line shows it’s because the felt was compressed. Kind of like if you dent/scratch a piece of leather. It will still be soft an flexible but the mark will show.

19. deadlyhandsome

Lots of steam and some vigorous brushing against the grain helps. It’s possible to remove most all of the old crease with time and work. If you can find a hard domed item to press out from inside the hat you’ll have an easier time of it. If it’s a well-used hat, the harder part for me is removing the staining from where the old crease was.

Hat and Rehat and Rmccamey like this.
  20. itsallgood

itsallgood Familiar Face

Well that would be good news. The hat is as new, essentially unworn. It's been taken out once or twice to run an errand, but that's it. I think it would get a lot more use with a taller crown and a center dent. If I do it, I'll post before and after pictures. Thanks.