Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I
That's what I was afraid of. Thank you. Couldn't find much info from previous comments about cleaning hemp.

I'll try the baking soda (and dryer sheet), but I think I need to disinfect more than deodorize. I'm guessing that the smell is from some kind of bacteria on the sweatband.
I've used the Air Sponge for nasty tobacco/cigarette/mystery meat melanges before. It took awhile, but the smell finally went away.

https://www.officesupply.com/cleani...DDVgQRZPIbcWaqbm_OXoW5O79bjoOKvhoCPigQAvD_BwE

The Jackal

One of the Regulars
I recently used Aussie brand hairspray with relatively good results on a straw hat. It is holding shape far better than it was previously, although I am still looking for something more permanent as I fear this will eventually give out in the Georgia heat.

The seller of this hat has contacted me several times trying to get me to buy her hat. I would hav, but it’s too small for me. I can’t find much information on “Panapore” either. Does anyone else have a Stetson Genuine Panapore hat? I wonder if it was just Stetson’s name for one of the common types of “straw.”

da092ae9d56e0904a5b938bd72e88988.jpg

a0a5d24571d7593187b234203f6f7811.jpg

286ce37a7a783ba0a1a870bb2426603d.jpg

293b82098e376e42f30d7b7bbb9be9f0.jpg

Its probably worth the $35 she’s asking (free shipping!), but I don’t think it’s going to grow the couple sizes I’d need it to for it to fit me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The seller of this hat has contacted me several times trying to get me to buy her hat. I would hav, but it’s too small for me. I can’t find much information on “Panapore” either. Does anyone else have a Stetson Genuine Panapore hat? I wonder if it was just Stetson’s name for one of the common types of “straw.”

da092ae9d56e0904a5b938bd72e88988.jpg

a0a5d24571d7593187b234203f6f7811.jpg

286ce37a7a783ba0a1a870bb2426603d.jpg

293b82098e376e42f30d7b7bbb9be9f0.jpg

Its probably worth the $35 she’s asking (free shipping!), but I don’t think it’s going to grow the couple sizes I’d need it to for it to fit me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I have never heard of "Panapore" either......BUT.....like you...IF it was my size...for $35 including shipping I certainly would give it a try!!! I actually like the look of it a lot!!

Hat and Rehat

Call Me a Cab
I have no idea about Panapore either, but that line is a step up from Stetson's entry level straw, which has a fabric sweatband.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

buler

I'll Lock Up
It's after the Stetson purchase of Mallory in 1946. You can go thru these two Mallory threads and use the ads and the logos to try to narrow the date. Also, you can sometimes use the seller's name (usually stamped on the sweatband) to help with dating.

Placing a value is very subjective. The XV is a desirable hat. Color, condition, size, dimensions, and age all play into value. Selling on ebay is the best way to determine what someone is currently willing to pay for it.

B

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/the-mallory-mile.41370/

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/mallory-madness-chronological-ads.58995/

Victor 15

New in Town
It's after the Stetson purchase of Mallory in 1946. You can go thru these two Mallory threads and use the ads and the logos to try to narrow the date. Also, you can sometimes use the seller's name (usually stamped on the sweatband) to help with dating.

Placing a value is very subjective. The XV is a desirable hat. Color, condition, size, dimensions, and age all play into value. Selling on ebay is the best way to determine what someone is currently willing to pay for it.

B

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/mallory-madness-chronological-ads.58995/
That’s some good information right there! Thanks for taking the time to reply. This fine hat was inherited and researching it has been interesting. The Mallory story would make a good documentary. Take care.

Hat and Rehat

Call Me a Cab
That's what I was afraid of. Thank you. Couldn't find much info from previous comments about cleaning hemp.

I'll try the baking soda (and dryer sheet), but I think I need to disinfect more than deodorize. I'm guessing that the smell is from some kind of bacteria on the sweatband.
Did you resolve the problem with your hat?
My last suggestion was that you remove the sweat band to figure out if it was the offender. I saw your post again this morning and thought I would suggest that you 'Google' naptha bath along with Fedora Lounge. Hatters used to bathe hats overnight in what was then called gasoline to deep clean them. We call it white gas now. Basically, its camping fuel. It's like dry cleaning, and later dry cleaners took over the hat cleaning trade.
You could research the naptha bath, because there are precautions, but it might be easier to talk to a dry cleaner and see if they can help.

Victor 15

New in Town

B

Wow , nice collection of Mallory ads!

Who here is a size 7?
I've picked a few eBay hats now that were advertised various ways, but usually included a "size 7 or 7 1/8".
I bid, made an offer, hoping for the 1/8.
Usually, no such luck!
(I know I need to frame this as a question)
Who has 7 1/8 hats they'd like to trade for 7s?

I am a size 7 and have the reverse problem:) I bid on hats hoping the sizing is not as roomy, but I do end up with 7 1/8 hats that are just that: too wide for a size 7. PM me to see if there is something we could exchange.

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
So I have a hat brush, but now that my collection is slowly growing I have a couple more on order. Reading through threads I know at a minimum I should have one for dark hats and one for light hats. I was thinking of even subdividing this further into black, brown, grey, and light. At what point does this become overkill? For instance, I have dark, medium, and light grey hats. Do I use a grey brush for all three? A light brush for the light grey (and also for a tan hat instead of a brown brush)?

Also, is there any significance to using a black hair brush for dark hats and a natural hair brush for light hats? Is it just a visual cue to help remember which is which? From a purely functional point of view I don't see why bristle color would even matter, yet I often read that a natural brush should be used for light hats.

Thanks in advance.

therevran

New in Town
Not sure if this the place to post this or not. If not tell me where I can post this question.

Does anyone know of a place where I could buy western style felt hats in bulk at a wholesale price? Domestic or foreign it does not matter I just want a decent quality hat.

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Not sure if this the place to post this or not. If not tell me where I can post this question.

Does anyone know of a place where I could buy western style felt hats in bulk at a wholesale price? Domestic or foreign it does not matter I just want a decent quality hat.
I see you live in Dallas. Try the HatCo Outlet in Garland. HatCo makes all the Stetsons, Dobbs, Knox, etc... They have an outlet store on site. You will pay about 1/4 to 1/2 price. But they are mass produced hats and the quality will not match vintage (pre 1970) nor custom. There is a dedicated thread for the outlet store.

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/the-hatco-outlet-store-in-garland-tx.24063/

the uncowboy

New in Town
Did you resolve the problem with your hat?
My last suggestion was that you remove the sweat band to figure out if it was the offender. I saw your post again this morning and thought I would suggest that you 'Google' naptha bath along with Fedora Lounge. Hatters used to bathe hats overnight in what was then called gasoline to deep clean them. We call it white gas now. Basically, its camping fuel. It's like dry cleaning, and later dry cleaners took over the hat cleaning trade.
You could research the naptha bath, because there are precautions, but it might be easier to talk to a dry cleaner and see if they can help.

Not yet, but thanks for asking.
Right now, the hat is in a giant ziploc bag with a bowl of baking soda. I'll leave it there for a few days and see if it makes any difference. A couple days ago I sprayed the interior down with 90% rubbing alcohol and put it out in the sun for about 8 hours. I don't think it helped. Prior to that I wiped the interior down with some wipes designed for dogs/pets. They are scented, and those actually seemed to be most effective in removing odor. With all the various things I have tried, I think the overall odor is reduced by about 70%, so progress is being made. It still smells just enough that it bothers me when I wear it, especially out in the sun. If the baking soda doesn't do it, I will consider removing the sewn-in sweat or the naptha/dry clean or just getting a new hat!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Takatāpui