Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wyldkarma

One Too Many
It really comes down to personal preference. I was reluctant when I started using Tapatalk, but came to prefer it over the web version. I like not having to click from page to page. Everything is seamless scrolling, which is to my preference. I also find uploading pictures to be easier as well. It's not perfect by any means, but I like it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
I keep playing with it, trying to make it fit my needs. Just finding it slower than the web version in loading images. I'll keep pecking at it, but a very clumsy app.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Hat and Rehat

Call Me a Cab
I picked this up yesterday in the ladies' aisle at the thrift store. It's completely unconstructed, more of a hat body than anything. It's feather-light though, and a beautiful weave.
I'd love to find a source, and maybe buy a gross of them to see what could be developed. Does anyone know where hats like this can be found?
0806ebdec4d01c521eb94058377500ab.jpg
f1089df414f48839a9d7a654cf821f6a.jpg
e6757608066dc589d870f8697d07c595.jpg

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

humanshoes

One Too Many
I picked this up yesterday in the ladies' aisle at the thrift store. It's completely unconstructed, more of a hat body than anything. It's feather-light though, and a beautiful weave.
I'd love to find a source, and maybe buy a gross of them to see what could be developed. Does anyone know where hats like this can be found?

Hats by Leko has a multitude of unblocked straw hat bodies. None exactly like that one though.
https://www.hatsupply.com/hat-bodies-straw/sisal-hat-bodies/rami-sisal-2x2/

Last edited:

Cornshucker77

Call Me a Cab

I like the pattern.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Well, there is just no identifying information, even under the sweat. Only a few chalk marks and the union label on the back of the size tag. The brim is 2 5/8 and it has a 5 inch finished crown, so it is probably a 6 inch, or slightly larger, open crown.

OK, another "dating" question. I ran across this Stetson SB. Looks like maybe a 70's model. I want to say it is an OR but the crown seems a bit too tall, so maybe it is a Western model. The odd thing is that it has the logo on the liner and the JBS Royal Stetson on the sweat but nothing else. The sweat is completely blank otherwise; no name, numbers, store of purchase...completely blank. Any idea on what this might be?

View attachment 178091 View attachment 178092 View attachment 178093

What are the dimensions?^^^^^^^What he said. Late 50s, early 60s.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

First time I see an offer for a Borsalino "Mimosa Twenty Five"
Is that a hare / beaver fur-felt mix? Or does the 25 stand for something else?
Anybody know something about this model name?

I know it was common in the US market for hats to be named after their retail price; hence a Twenty-Five could be a hat that sold for $25. However, I don’t know anything about this specific Borsalino.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hat and Rehat

Call Me a Cab
Hats by Leko has a multitude of unblocked straw hat bodies. None exactly like that one though.
https://www.hatsupply.com/hat-bodies-straw/sisal-hat-bodies/rami-sisal-2x2/
I just ordered 85mm plastic reed, some reed tape, ferules and some vintage grosgrain from them.
I sometimes find completely unadorned woven straws in the women's hats. Are they retailed for wear like this, or is it safe to conclude they were purchased for millinery work that never happened?

Is it "square" like original BOTP?
4" crown and brim?

The seller didn’t provide dimensions and I don’t have the hat...I don’t expect to see it before October as busy as VS is right now. I can estimate dimensions, but not with any precision. When it returns it will have a 6 1/2 inch open crown at the expense of some of the brim width.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
Stratton is currently the dominant supplier of campaign hats in the US. I don’t know if they supply the RCMP.

I just started looking at this thread. The Stratton factory is about 200 yards from my place of employment. I can actually see the sign from our front door. I’ve been inside for factory tours several times but not lately. I remember them saying they had the contract for USMC drill instructors. We have a decent relationship with them so if anyone has any questions i may be able to get an answer.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
I just started looking at this thread. The Stratton factory is about 200 yards from my place of employment. I can actually see the sign from our front door. I’ve been inside for factory tours several times but not lately. I remember them saying they had the contract for USMC drill instructors. We have a decent relationship with them so if anyone has any questions i may be able to get an answer.
Welcome Bfd70 over to this thread. It’s good to see some more leather jacket guys. Thanks for the offer about Stratton. There is a Campaign hat thread that might appreciate the offer as well. Stratton does a lot of Campaign/Smokey/Trooper type hats for many law enforcement types. It would be neat to see their factory.
Thanks again.
Bowen

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
Anyone know anything about Cyrus Douglas Beaver Hats, St. Louis? I saw an old post (photos missing :( ) where @Dinerman suggested they were of recent manufacture.

49190a8d3b32df01b50e604710e952c6.jpg

624f4f13fcbb6a9372ddffe83d1bb9b3.jpg

eb8b9c964fbbc37d3d83cc9cdef7d1bf.jpg

It probably is a Clearwater Hats, hat. It looks like their 'Plantation' ($170) It's a small hat manufacturing co. founded in the late 1980's that specialize in 'historical' hats. They usually use a beaver/rabbit blend & most have that strange sweatband. From what I've seen, they like to use different non-existent hat manufacturer's logos in the linings, prehaps to give the hats a more 'authentically historical' or 'historically authentic' look in a fun way. Damn confusing though.:D

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points