Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
It probably is a Clearwater Hats, hat. It looks like their 'Plantation' ($170) It's a small hat manufacturing co. founded in the late 1980's that specialize in 'historical' hats. They usually use a beaver/rabbit blend & most have that strange sweatband. From what I've seen, they like to use different non-existent hat manufacturer's logos in the linings, prehaps to give the hats a more 'authentically historical' or 'historically authentic' look in a fun way. Damn confusing though.:D

Thank you for the info. I plan on having $120 into it including the VS rebuild...not a steal, but I think I’ll be happy with it. That sweat is indeed odd, and it will be replaced with a more conventional leather sweat by VS. I’ve been trying to avoid buying cheaper hats and stick to either customs or very nice vintage hats, but sometimes a hat just makes me smile.

JackTheClipper

New in Town
I really am fond of the Stetson Temple, it resembles the 40s Gangster hats of old, but I understand that hats these days are no longer the same quality.

What's the closest hat that matches that particular hat's setup/look without spending double or triple what a Stetson will cost?

Thanks in advance.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I really am fond of the Stetson Temple, it resembles the 40s Gangster hats of old, but I understand that hats these days are no longer the same quality.

What's the closest hat that matches that particular hat's setup/look without spending double or triple what a Stetson will cost?

A modern Stetson is as good as any other modern factory hat, IMHO. If you like the Temple, get the Temple.

If you can find a Stetson New York, it is an open crown hat in Stetson's excellent quality felt, which is among the best currently made. If you happen to be 7 1/4 or 7 5/8 one two Mini Ranch has it for you: http://www.one2miniranch.com/stetson-new-york-100-beaver-open-crown-fedora-hat/

JJ has some of the Royal Deluxe versions left
https://www.jjhatcenter.com/collections/stetson/products/the-grand-central-by-stetson

If you're ok with the pre creased look, Stetson also makes the Pinnacle, which is the same as the Temple but in excellent quality felt.

The other popular hat is the Fed IV:
https://hatsdirect.com/collections/the-federation-iv

TheGuitarFairy

Practically Family
hi friends,

currently, all i have is this pic and that it's a "royal stetson" ... is this an OR? i've tried to date via crest but no luck ... and finally whats a fair price?

thanks for the help!
mike

00707_jC9R5ee6zJO_1200x900.jpg

TheGuitarFairy

Practically Family
thanks jared,

i'm very much on steep end of learning curve and probably should have waited for more pics and details before bringing Qs here .. that said, besides approx. age / fair value, it seems this brim might be smaller than an OR's no? hence Qs

thanks,
m

thanks jared,

i'm very much on steep end of learning curve and probably should have waited for more pics and details before bringing Qs here .. that said, besides approx. age / fair value, it seems this brim might be smaller than an OR's no? hence Qs

thanks,
m

There just isn’t enough there. Without more information/photos there is no telling what it is or what it might be worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

A modern Stetson is as good as any other modern factory hat, IMHO. If you like the Temple, get the Temple.

If you can find a Stetson New York, it is an open crown hat in Stetson's excellent quality felt, which is among the best currently made. If you happen to be 7 1/4 or 7 5/8 one two Mini Ranch has it for you: http://www.one2miniranch.com/stetson-new-york-100-beaver-open-crown-fedora-hat/

JJ has some of the Royal Deluxe versions left
https://www.jjhatcenter.com/collections/stetson/products/the-grand-central-by-stetson

If you're ok with the pre creased look, Stetson also makes the Pinnacle, which is the same as the Temple but in excellent quality felt.

The other popular hat is the Fed IV:
https://hatsdirect.com/collections/the-federation-iv

For a while there they were also making an Excellent Temple; however, it wasn't open crown.
And if you can get your hands on a RD Stetsonian, I highly recommend getting it.

I’ve seen this discussed in the past, but I’ve never found a satisfactory answer:
What does the American Hat Company’s use of “Clear Beaver” mean? Is it a 100% beaver? This is a 3X so I don’t think it’s 100% beaver. Is it a bleached fur felt? I don’t expect it to compare to a Stetson Clear Beaver, but before I spend money on an online purchase I’d like to know what I’m getting. Any help?

fa18b00e6e22b9f8cda5b54bd5aaf898.jpg

b614e1af19bb296308aea651c2a6dc1c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
I recently discovered to my horror that my hand made Lucchese boots were covered with mold due to the very high humidity levels on this rock in the middle of the ocean. I have been warned and am afraid that my leather jackets will mold as well, not to mention my fur felt hats. Any suggestions on keeping things dry?

Peace.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
I recently discovered to my horror that my hand made Lucchese boots were covered with mold due to the very high humidity levels on this rock in the middle of the ocean. I have been warned and am afraid that my leather jackets will mold as well, not to mention my fur felt hats. Any suggestions on keeping things dry?

Peace.
That’s bad news Jonesy!! I know you have some very high dollar jackets!
I would think the problem is twofold:
1. Kill the mold
2. Prevent new mold from starting.
No idea what to use on #1 but #2 would have to be a controlled environment for storage which decreased relative humidity and temp. Lot of variables depending on your abode.
B

Peace.

Jonesy, what I use is distilled water (ph neutral) and Ivory liquid (ph neutral) and clean with a lint free cloth or sponge. Dry thoroughly in the sun. Maybe you can find some. Condition as needed. Try to create a controlled environment for your leather. Use the hell out of this stuff. It works!
https://www.googleadservices.com/pa...hUKEwij3ImkyNjjAhWUUs0KHeIGBWIQ9aACCD0&adurl=

Jonesy, what BB said. And I don’t know anything about your domicile but if you are living on a concrete slab keep your boots up off the floor. Run a dehumidifier in that room even if you don’t run or need AC. I had a friend who lived in a log home on the lake. He didn’t know he had a problem until one day he lifted up a pair of boots in the closet & the carpet was mildewed under the boots!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points