Ask a question, get an answer

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Lefty, Sep 2, 2009.

1. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

dkstott likes this.
  2. dkstott

dkstott One of the Regulars

The shop also has a size 61 in stock. From what I have read, that'll be way too big for me.

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

3. Ribook

Ribook New in Town

Haven't uploaded photos before so we'll see how this goes. I'm looking for help identifying this Stetson. No style indicated on the sweatband as far as I know. (I don't have the hat in my possession or I'd know for sure and also could provide more photos.) Brim is 2", crown is 4 1/2. Closest thing I've found to its looks is the Playboy, but those don't seem to have a lining and the style usually is stated. Please let me know if you have an idea about what this might be. Thanks!

4. Steinbockhase

Steinbockhase A-List Customer

"Playboy" or what ever; it looks like a winner if you can get it for a reasonable price :)

Rmccamey likes this.
  5. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

Yes, 1 size up is the max...passed that and the gap is too great to shim.

dkstott and Rmccamey like this.
  6. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

dkstott likes this.
  7. Ribook

Ribook New in Town

I agree! Said to be in great condition and I'll have a chance to take a look at it tomorrow. Now as for reasonable price... ;)

8. jlee562

jlee562 I'll Lock Up

Unless there's model name on the sweat, there's not really much to "identify." We can really only speculate/guess about hats with no markings.

That having been said, there is a model called the Wanderer that this resembles. It had a similar ribbon to the Playboy, but with a bound edge.

[​IMG]

See: https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/they-call-me-the-wanderer.47675/

9. Ribook

Ribook New in Town

Good point about having no choice but to speculate, Jared, and thank you for the suggestion! Looks promising and I'll see what more I can find out about the Wanderer.

dkstott likes this.
  10. AbbaDatDeHat

AbbaDatDeHat I'll Lock Up

Bantam looking as well.
    Would be interesting to see the tags with block # etc.
    B

Ribook likes this.
  11. Ribook

Ribook New in Town

Hadn't heard of the Bantam but you're right, it has a similar look. Seems that like the Playboy, most Bantams I've been able to see photos of (since reading your post) have 'Bantam' on the sweatband and are without a liner. But it's also clear, and kind of crazy, that Stetson appears to have been more than willing to mix things up with their hat lines. Thanks for the suggestion!

I'll post more photos when I have the hat in hand.

AbbaDatDeHat likes this.
  12. AbbaDatDeHat

AbbaDatDeHat I'll Lock Up

Well just a heads up.
    If you ever see a Wanderer or a Bantam in your size you might want to jump right on it if you can. They are few and far between.
    Good luck with your searches and welcome to the lounge.
    Keep coming back.
    B

Cornshucker77 and Ribook like this.
  13. Ribook

Ribook New in Town

Thank you! I appreciate the welcome and the advice.

AbbaDatDeHat likes this.
  14. Herb Hawkins

Herb Hawkins New in Town

Need help identifying a hat. All I have is a picture that I found online so it may be a long shot but any thoughts to get me closer to finding a similar hat would be appreciated. I posted this to another thread but it wasn't getting much attention. Sorry for the re-post.

jon bellion hat.jpg

Dm101 and deadlyhandsome like this.
  15. Cornshucker77

Cornshucker77 Call Me a Cab

I just ordered one. I don't have much space so the casters allowing it to move easily was attractive to me.

AbbaDatDeHat and deadlyhandsome like this.
  16. jlee562

jlee562 I'll Lock Up

we can't really tell much from one pic of the exterior. All the identifying marks would be On the inside. Moreover, this looks like a modern outdoors-ish kind of hat which is not exactly the main focus here.

It doesn't match anything from the current Stetson line up, that's about all I've got.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  17. deadlyhandsome

deadlyhandsome I'll Lock Up

Have you looked through all the hat manufacturer’s catalogs? I’m not familiar with the hat...we rarely see fedoras with grommeted vent holes. If you really want the same hat you can commission a custom made version. It could also be that the person in your photo is wearing a custom hat or a production hat that has been customized. It could also be a stock production hat that has since been discontinued and won’t be found in current catalogs.

In the thousands of hats I’ve seen posted in this forum I don’t recall ever seeing something like the hat you’re looking for. It’s not a style that many of our members would take notice of.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Zombie_61 and dkstott like this.
  18. dkstott

dkstott One of the Regulars

As a follow up, it appears that in the Akubra world of sizing, I'm a 58. .

On a whim, I took a drive down to Delmonico hatter and tried on several different Akubra models in the store. A size 59 in every model fell down over my ears. Size 58 was perfect. I also learned that I prefer the carbon grey over the fawn acorn color. The Adventurer is a nice hat, but that 3 inch brim is too big for my head. I'm going with the Stylemaster.

19. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

You can't beat being able to try the hat on, always preferable. The Stylemaster is a great hat and that $110 price is a great price.

Zombie_61 and dkstott like this.
  20. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

Yes, I echo this. The hat itself is available at most hat shops, nothing special about it except for the vent holes. You could pick up such a hat online and send it out to a hatter to have the grommets installed for not too much money.