Ask a question, get an answer

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Lefty, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Ribook

Ribook New in Town

Haha
    Haha, yes, I realize. And I appreciate it!

Frunobulax likes this.
  2. AbbaDatDeHat

AbbaDatDeHat I'll Lock Up

To add to it.
    I googled “Stetson Streamliner the Fedora Lounge” and found the Mallory pic and a Stetson Streamliner pic sitting on a doctor’s bag in an old thread. Some discussion. I think it’s a pretty rare hat.
    Good luck searching.
    Very nice hat by the way.
    B

Frunobulax and Ribook like this.
  3. belfastboy

belfastboy My Mail is Forwarded Here

No, there is lots of room for you to speak to your experience and me to speak to mine. That your Akubras shrink and mine do not does not mean either statement is false only that the situation is perhaps not as cut and dried or absolute.

dkstott likes this.
  4. jlee562

jlee562 I'll Lock Up

As I said, if it's really grinding your gears, we'll go with "will probably shrink." I'm not aiming to falsify your statement(s), but this is beyond my experience with Akubra. I can't even believe I have to defend this point. It's even right on the Akubra website:

https://akubra.com.au/pages/caring-for-your-akubra
    It's great that your hats fit and haven't shrunk. That is atypical for Akubra, even with the highly unscientific sample size of the posts on the subject from today.

dkstott and Zombie_61 like this.
  5. belfastboy

belfastboy My Mail is Forwarded Here

Okay, I defer. You win. Satisfied?

dkstott and AbbaDatDeHat like this.
  6. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

All I can say is, this was my experience with all six of my Akubra hats:

[​IMG]

But I live in the Los Angeles area of southern California where the summer temperatures are regularly near or over the 100°F mark and seem to get at least a little higher as each year passes, so it's not at all difficult for me to sweat.

7. AbbaDatDeHat

AbbaDatDeHat I'll Lock Up

^^^^
    Lol
    I’m just a lucky guy i guess.
    3 Akubras, 3 diff models, 2 diff quality distinctions.
    All fit to size, no shrinkage and
    no stretching out of shape! Gasp
    There is no right or wrong just is.
    B

8. jlee562

jlee562 I'll Lock Up

If we want to quibble about the 100% certainty of my initial "will shrink up..." fair enough.

But again, I don't know why this is controversial today...

(emphasis added)

dkstott, Zombie_61 and 1mach1 like this.
  9. dkstott

dkstott One of the Regulars

I didn't intend to start any controversy.
    My 12 year old Stetson never shrunk, so I'm curious about why Akubra shrinks. If a hat rack is the normal for them, then I'll invest in one at some point.

Dm101 likes this.
  10. jlee562

jlee562 I'll Lock Up

It's the leather sweatband. It's not a very high grade. Certainly some people's sweat is more acidic than others and that has an effect on the rate of shrinkage, as does wear, but many Akubra hats end up shrinking some.

Archived version of hatsdirect.com
    https://web.archive.org/web/20160303203843/http://hatsdirect.com/pages/the-federation-iv

Dm101, dkstott and deadlyhandsome like this.
  11. Ribook

Ribook New in Town

Thanks. I also saw that photo on the doctor's bag in a "Still Life with Hats" thread from 2013. Certainly rare on the web...

AbbaDatDeHat likes this.
  12. addison

addison One of the Regulars

Hello friends,
    I'm considering buying a MODERN Stratoliner. I have a few vintage lids, but my only modern made ones are Akubras.
    My question is, how does the felt compare to Akubras? Is it similar quality and softness or is it perhaps a bit better?
    Other than materials, how would the quality of manufacture compare to Akubras? Are modern Stratoliners American made?
    Thanks.

dkstott and deadlyhandsome like this.
  13. deadlyhandsome

deadlyhandsome I'll Lock Up

My experience is only with the Premier Royal De Luxe Stratoliners. The felt is, in my opinion, a big step up from Akubra. They are made in the USA. If you look around you’ll find the Modern Stratoliner thread and the Premiere Stratoliner thread. Lots of good information with just a bit of work.

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/the-stratoliner-appreciation-club-modern.58325/

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/stetson-stratoliner-premier-open-crown.93347/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

14. Ribook

Ribook New in Town

I have a modern Stratoliner. I don't know if they are made in the USA, but I can tell you that the felt is not as heavy as the Akubra I own, and whereas Akubras are 100% rabbit fur, exact composition of the Stratoliners is a mystery as far as I know. My expectation is that the Stratoliner is not as durable/weather resistant as Akubras are known for. The Stratoliner also feels more flimsy. I was a bit shocked when I took it out of the box. Initially, it felt like a cardboard hat covered with a thin layer of felt. I've since taken more of a liking to it because it's a nice hat with a nice shape. Of final note, I ordered my size (7 1/4) and the Stratoliner in that size was a bit small for me. I had to stretch it.

Zombie_61, dkstott and addison like this.
  15. addison

Thank you!

dkstott likes this.
  16. addison

Thank you!

dkstott likes this.
  17. jlee562

jlee562 I'll Lock Up

I would recommend the Royal Deluxe premier strat. Stetsons are generally more finely pounced than Akubras, leading to a softer hand. My experience has been that Stetsons have less stiffener, but this varies in both Akubra and Stetson production runs. The Stetson Japan instagram account did post once that it was a 90% rabbit, 10% beaver mix, but that's never been confirmed.

They're very nice modern hats, and an improvement for Hatco over previous efforts. The open crown model was a bit of a passion project for their former lead designer Matt Deckard, who pops in here every so often. He wears his modern Stetsons in the rain.

Here he is talking about modern hats in the rain:
    Pt 1: https://www.instagram.com/p/BtGMkF3AdWm/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
    Pt 2: https://www.instagram.com/p/BtGN1gxAUP7/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
    Pt 3: https://www.instagram.com/p/BtGOHzOAFLr/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

18. addison

Thank you!

dkstott and deadlyhandsome like this.
  19. CaptainFach

CaptainFach New in Town

So im new here and had a question. If I block and shape my hat purely with steam, and mess it up, can i start over? Or will i be stuck with a messed up hat and need to buy another felt?

dkstott likes this.
  20. A good quality fur felt hat can been reshaped multiple times. Tight creases might leave a bit of ghosting that your might have to work a bit more to remove. There are many threads on hat shaping / creasing if you look around. I typically used a good misting of cold distilled water (almost to the point of soaking) to get the shape I want and use steam to set (activating any stiffeners used) or for tweaks. Avoid getting steam too near a leather sweatband.