Ask a question, get an answer

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Lefty, Sep 2, 2009.

1. addison

addison One of the Regulars

Thank you!

2. jlee562

jlee562 I'll Lock Up

Does anybody have a pattern for making a hat liner?

I guess really I'm asking if I need a more circular or more oval top part and whether or not the side piece needs a radius.

Hat and Rehat likes this.
  3. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

Questions I ask, as well. I keep meaning to deconstruct an old one for reference.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Zombie_61 likes this.
  4. belfastboy

belfastboy My Mail is Forwarded Here

Our Dogman here in the Lounge makes great liners....I have a few. Perhaps he could chime in??

Cornshucker77 likes this.
  5. CaptainFach

CaptainFach New in Town

Thank you so much. Im going to make sure I dont use stiffener or put in the band until i like the shape.

BobHufford likes this.
  6. jonesy86

jonesy86 Call Me a Cab

7. jlee562

jlee562 I'll Lock Up

I saw that too and have no idea what the heck it is. I assume the JP is for Japan, but I don't remember seeing this On the Stetson Japan Instagram and it didn't feature in this spread from a Japanese men's magazine last fall:
    [​IMG]

Neat to see the repro tag.

8. AbbaDatDeHat

AbbaDatDeHat I'll Lock Up

Hey Jonesy:
    The JP on the sweat is indeed for the Japanese market as @jlee562 said. Imho this is a quality and desirable model. I believe it was a short run during the Deckard days. I’ve found his hats of that period to be outstanding hats. They are no more. I believe anyone would be happy with that hat. Seems a little pricey but a nice one to consider.
    Ymmv
    B

jonesy86 and Cornshucker77 like this.
  9. jlee562

jlee562 I'll Lock Up

Heck, if it were my size I probably would have bought it last night, and I don't even like Whippets!

If nothing else it's probably safe to assume this is a rare modern Stetson. Though it would also be a darn good marketing idea IMHO.

10. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

That's fantastic.

11. jonesy86

jonesy86 Call Me a Cab

Incoming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. AbbaDatDeHat

AbbaDatDeHat I'll Lock Up

Hey: good catch.
    I tried sending you a PM but it said i can not start a conversation with you.
    Odd, you can with me.
    B

jonesy86 likes this.
  13. jonesy86

jonesy86 Call Me a Cab

Sent you a PM. Thanks for the feedback B, et al.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AbbaDatDeHat likes this.
  14. pointsky

pointsky New in Town

hello everyone, I am new to these forums, and I am seeking a bit of info. Would anyone have any info on this stetson? From the research I have done the only thing I can come up with is that it is from the early 50's but I could be wrong[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk

15. TheOldFashioned

TheOldFashioned Practically Family

First, welcome to the Lounge!

There are plenty of members more knowledgeable than I am regarding dating vintage hats, but to my eye this doesn't look like a 50s era Stetson. At least not from the U.S. market. Can you explain how you came about this conclusion from your research?

I've never seen that style of size tag before on a vintage hat. Usually a 50s era Stetson had a keyhole black and manilla tag, and the size was only imperial. The majority of the decade only had the fractional amount (i.e. 1/8 or 1/2) listed on the tag, and the later years had a mixed fraction (i.e. 6 7/8 or 7 1/4). The U.S. hardly gives a crap about the metric system now and probably even less so back in the 50s. The dual imperial and metric tag has been used much more recently, though I don't know the exact timeframe this was introduced. Also, the thin gold piping on the sweatband is a more recent feature as well.

Do you have any additional photos of the hat? Are there any tags, labels, or other markings behind the sweatband? These are usually the best indicators of trying to help date a hat.

Regardless of age what ultimately matters is that you like the hat, so wear it proud!

16. pointsky

pointsky New in Town

I just went by the logos inside the hat, I have also read that they are not the most reliable thing to go on but that is all I was going off of, like I said, I had no idea but thanks for the answer, the hat only cost me 7 bucks canadian lol

17. Cornshucker77

Cornshucker77 Call Me a Cab

I can't speak for the age but it appears to me to be a Canadian size tag. Welcome to the FL. :)

Zombie_61 and pointsky like this.
  18. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

Well, the style looks 60s, the tag looks Canadian, the liner looks 50s (and gorgeous), and the sweatband looks 60s.

Canadian Stetson from the early 60s, maybe? Or maybe a 50s Alpine style?

Heck, I dunno.

19. TheOldFashioned

TheOldFashioned Practically Family

Since @Cornshucker77 and @Frunobulax pointed out that the hat looks to be Canadian the info I listed above can pretty much be thrown out the window. It's a nice heathered hat, and for $7 CAD a steal! :)

pointsky, Zombie_61 and Cornshucker77 like this.
  20. Cornshucker77

Cornshucker77 Call Me a Cab

Not all of it. :)

Zombie_61 likes this.