Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Decorative, yes, but I think it also lends support to the stitches closing the back of the sweatband.

Sent from my LM-X410(FG) using Tapatalk
Unless of course it’s a Disney where the bow is a single cord that serves to help close the sweat and continues around the sweat as a reed. In that case it’s decorative, functional and...comfy cooler! Imo
B

Hat and Rehat

Call Me a Cab
Thank you. Brown ribbon with the centerfelt looks nice to me too.
Bind the brim in contrast? You mean same colour as the ribbon? I don't know yet.
Traditionally hat band and brim binding matched. A more modern touch is to make a different statement with each one.
A bespoke hat is an investment. You want to be happy with it for a long time. Even if you choose to go bold, picture each element as something to draw attention, but dont let any element become the only thing you see.
My 2 cents.
Remember what it cost you.

Hat and Rehat

Call Me a Cab
Unless of course it’s a Disney where the bow is a single cord that serves to help close the sweat and continues around the sweat as a reed. In that case it’s decorative, functional and...comfy cooler! Imo
B
My only Disney got lifted at the mailbox. I wish my dog actually did bite the carrier.

Hat and Rehat

Call Me a Cab
belfastboy,

I tried this in the past with a shop that does clothes alterations and they totally botched the black band on a panama hat even though I provided them with the band and all they had to do was stitch it on. People simply do not wear fedora style hats here.
I have a female tailor from somewhere in the old Easten block. You can't joke around with her. Don't even try.
But she will sew anything I ask her to, even though she first scowl me out the door.

Thank you. Brown ribbon with the centerfelt looks nice to me too.
Bind the brim in contrast? You mean same colour as the ribbon? I don't know yet.
The middle hat because the color is more versatile--not too dark or too light for most clothing combinations. Mid-width ribbon on an uncreased 5.5" tall crown; brown is good, but only in a shade slightly darker or lighter than the felt to provide minimal contrast. Brim binding on a deeply flanged 2" brim color matched to the felt. Size 7-1/2 / 60cm. And when it's finished, let me know and I'll send you my shipping address. :D

Hat and Rehat

Call Me a Cab
The middle hat because the color is more versatile--not too dark or too light for most clothing combinations. Mid-width ribbon on an uncreased 5.5" tall crown; brown is good, but only in a shade slightly darker or lighter than the felt to provide minimal contrast. Brim binding on a deeply flanged 2" brim color matched to the felt. Size 7-1/2 / 60cm. And when it's finished, let me know and I'll send you my shipping address. :D
You dog!
Fisticuffs!

Pellie

One Too Many
Haha, okay i'll let you know... :)

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I have a female tailor from somewhere in the old Easten block. You can't joke around with her. Don't even try.
But she will sew anything I ask her to, even though she first scowl me out the door.
I also have a female tailor, but not from the Eastern Block. She makes my shirts, my trousers, my waistcoats, (vests) she can even secure wayward hatbands and sew embellishments on hats.
MG hat pin 003.JPG
She's called a wife, you can have a joke with her, but as the saying goes: Women & cats will do as they please, men & dogs should just relax and get used to the idea. (we have three cats)

Hat and Rehat

Call Me a Cab
I also have a female tailor, but not from the Eastern Block. She makes my shirts, my trousers, my waistcoats, (vests) she can even secure wayward hatbands and sew embellishments on hats.
View attachment 183535
She's called a wife, you can have a joke with her, but as the saying goes: Women & cats will do as they please, men & dogs should just relax and get used to the idea. (we have three cats)
My wife flunked "home ec", as it used to be called. She freely admits it. I wish she had saved the dress she made because it sounds like it was a real doozy.

Hat and Rehat

Call Me a Cab
Does anybody have a pattern for making a hat liner?

I guess really I'm asking if I need a more circular or more oval top part and whether or not the side piece needs a radius.
I just saw this again, Jared. I was "cutting the rug" in a joint my brother in law and the rest of "Shot in the Dark" had a gig the first time, and I gave you a flippant response.
This is something I've kicked around though.
I learned a bit from a woman on the internet who instructs on building a bucket hat. It was a while ago, so I might garble things a little, but I produced a pretty nice satin liner for a hat I modified for my wife. The woman provides links to a printable pattern, and does most of the calculation of bias and curve for you.
If you plug that into your search parameters, I think you'll find it, and find it valuable.
That said, afterward I found liner discussion here at the Lounge. It may be Tonyb, or perhaps Chicagovinnie, but someone in Tabletop Hatters did great liner work by cutting and sizing around their crown block. I wish I could offer you more specifics for a search, but it was quite a while ago.
I hope it helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner