Ask a question, get an answer

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Lefty, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Hat and Rehat

Hat and Rehat One Too Many

I'm sure that goes over well on a NY subway at 3AM.

Sent from my LM-X410(FG) using Tapatalk

Zombie_61 likes this.
  2. Fivesense

Fivesense One of the Regulars

This could go in the Open Road forum, or even Western, Anyone? but it's more about material than anything.

I'm evaluating my Open Roads in 6X (Silver belly) and Royal Deluxe (Sage). They are both sharp as can be.

My question is about breathability. The 6X (somehow) seems to breathe better; it somehow feels less warm on the head than the Royal Deluxe, which feels like it holds the heat from my head. I've never noticed this with my Chatham Royal Deluxe.

I know this is a subjective question, but I'm interested to hear thoughts.

3. Hat and Rehat

I found this beaver pillow.
    How many Xs should I give it?[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Hat and Rehat

I have come across a really nice hat print.
    The seller, unfortunately, had a misshap and created two tears on the upper left side after I bought it.
    I took it at a significant discount rather than walk away.
    Should I try to make some reproductions of this 16x20 print?

[​IMG]

5. Hat and Rehat

Yesterday I mentioned 5 Stetson hats I picked up. Two are 3x ORs. One I believe was made specifically for Shepler's western store. It has a unique liner.
    The other is silverbelly, with no liner. At some point an attempt to keep a liner in it was made with white glue, and there's quite a bit of dried white glue inside.
    Has anyone found a good method for getting white glue out of felt?
    The glue is old enough that water doesn't soften it much.

6. J Williams

J Williams A-List Customer

Beaver pillow quality designations are hard to track and are written in Z’s rather than X’s

That’s a 7Z CBP you’ve got there. Good pull.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. pairrothead01

pairrothead01 New in Town

Folks, I have a question about hat liners.
    I am trying to make one.....
    struggling somewhat.
    Are there patterns that can be acquired to make them?
    Do I need to have a hat block or a foam hat form?
    I tried searching inside the lounge...didn't come up with anything I could use.
    Help or some direction would be appreciated.

Sent from my nami using Tapatalk

dkstott likes this.
  8. Bamaboots

Bamaboots I'll Lock Up

Contact @DOGMAN. He makes some great liners.

9. Hat and Rehat

Thank you.
    Sometimes you ask a question and never get an answer.
    Now I know what to tell my wife when she demands to know why I brought THAT home.

10. Hat and Rehat

I don't believe there's a pattern out there for hat liners. There are patterns for hats that might help you calculate the curve, etc..
    I used one about bucket hat's. Other people build them around a block. If you think about it, though, you could build one around a bowl or ball of similar dimensions.

pairrothead01 and dkstott like this.
  11. pairrothead01

I spoke with Dogman as advised by Bamaboots
    Practice, practice, practice.
    If possible, remove an existing one and use as template.
    That is what I have started doing because I really do not like the plastic peice in the Akubra hat liners....so I am now on the journey to replace but also have them more removable friendly.
    First try took 4 separate efforts and the inclusion of my 80+ mother in law to complete.
    Functional, what I had in mind but not with the clean look you come to expect on a purchased hat with liner.
    More trials to have, hope that success comes sooner than later.

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk

12. deadlyhandsome

deadlyhandsome I'll Lock Up

Or you can spend $7.95 and buy a replacement liner.

https://hatterssupplyhouse.com/hat-crown-liners/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

13. pairrothead01

What would be the fun in that.....
    The thing with hats that have picked up in this form is the story that can be shared afterward.

14. deadlyhandsome

deadlyhandsome I'll Lock Up

Bless you for being the handy guy who can do for himself. It looks like a lot of frustration and time to me; my sewing skills aren’t much to brag about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

15. pairrothead01

I will continue the quest....success will be mine....but at some point, time spent to achieve success over and over again.....will translate to a cost....then I will weight in on how much work must be done against the cost of $8. I will keep the link handy as my backup.....and I thank you for sharing it.

16. humanshoes

humanshoes Vendor

Here's an older thread that may answer your question.
    https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/sandpaper-or-emery-paper.55618/page-2
    I use a combination of plain old 3M sandpaper and wet/dry emery paper. Every hatter will have their own preferences. I think you're correct about the 600 grit giving you the smoother finish you're looking for, but pounce with care JJ. Oversanding is irreversible.

Hat and Rehat likes this.
  17. Hat and Rehat

That's a good price. I've seen them elsewhere for about twice that., with significant shipping on top.

18. dkstott

dkstott One of the Regulars

JJ hat has replacement liners for $10. I'm not sure what their shipping costs are.

19. Hat and Rehat

A thread exists somewhere around here in which the "Great Stuff" foam homemade hat blocks are discussed. I first learned of them on YouTube, from millinary sources rather than makers of men's hats. I made a block by using a cheap hat as a "mold", which I removed from the foam block, as suggested.
    I now jokingly call these "Wana-blocks" because they might work fine for wet felting a hat, but if you try to stretch a hat body over them with puller downers, pusher downers and cord, you end up wih a misshapen block, bulging in places, and a blocked hat with all of the same distortions.
    Fortunately I learned this with wool hoods that I made by tossing cheap (I mean really cheap) thrift store hat's into a bucket of water to sort of "dissolve" away their manufactured form.
    I am still experimenting with foam blocks and ways to make them more rigid. I bought a few cans of foam on clearance at Wal-Mart and made foam blobs that I can carve with serrated kitchen knives, then sand into spongy hat blocks. Fiberglass resin seems to be promising for firming them up.
    However, to cut to the chase, a spongy foam block, perhaps even flat on top and crudely finished, could work pretty well as a form to build liners around. Instead of having to calculate bias on flat fabric you could pin the satin to the foam, then cut it in sitsu, using the foam to tack everything together before taking it off for final sewing.
    I learned another block possibility in that thread I mentioned. One Lounger refined the idea of construction foam blocks.
    He bought a hat one size small, stiffened it, filled it with foam, then left the hat on the foam. I have a couple of blocks made this way for reforming straw over, and it was a clever idea.
    When blocks run as high as $175 each, it makes sense to splurge on one's you will use frequently, but innovation to produce one that might get used rarely makes sense.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
    Rmccamey and Zombie_61 like this.
  20. JessieJames

JessieJames One of the Regulars

What do you man "with care"? speed? quantity? hardness?