Ask a question, get an answer

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Lefty, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Hat and Rehat

Hat and Rehat One Too Many

I use tape first, then brush. But I see your point.

Sent from my LM-X410(FG) using Tapatalk

2. Hat and Rehat

Hat and Rehat One Too Many

I saw a lot of things about shellac as a stiffener. Reading Scientific Hat Finishing and Renovating, Ermatinger reserves shellac for traditional stiff hats, like Bowlers and top hats, or for a "board brim" like on a campaign hat.
    He used gum tragacanth on dress weight hats. After having difficulty applying shellac evenly, I purchased pre prepared tragacanth at Tandy leather. Leather workers use it on the cut edges of belts, etc.
    I like the moderate stiffening I got from it.

Sent from my LM-X410(FG) using Tapatalk

3. CaptainFach

CaptainFach New in Town

See the problem there is i live in the suburbs in missouri and we dont really have any leather shops or hat shops. Its a travesty really.

dkstott likes this.
  4. dkstott

dkstott One of the Regulars

Between this forum & YouTube there's a wealth of knowledge.

Check our Kevin at JJ hat company YouTube channel. He'll teach you how to stiffen a brim and shape a hat on your own in no time.

Donna Winslow likes this.
  5. nvilletele

nvilletele One of the Regulars

In case you are still looking at retail, there are a number of open crown fur felt hats that appear available at hatWRKS:
    https://www.hatwrks.com/collections/open-crown/fur-felt

Del Monico has the Biltmore Budapest left in a couple of sizes:
    https://www.delmonicohatter.com/product/BF5584.htm

Village Hat Shop has some others beyond the Borsa you earlier referenced, eg:
    https://www.villagehatshop.com/product/all/451139-190/bushman-fur-felt-open-crown-hat.html
    https://www.villagehatshop.com/prod...h-buffalo-fur-felt-open-crown-fedora-hat.html

Regarding your evolution, my first (and still only) custom is a Gannon.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  6. Boomerang

Boomerang New in Town

Thank you for the links! I forced my will upon my black Fed IV and actually got the crown the way I want it. With that done, the look of the dimensional brim has improved. I've covered the "needs" for now, and moving onto "wants."

Hat and Rehat and Zombie_61 like this.
  7. Donna Winslow

Donna Winslow New in Town

I also live in Missouri and I can’t find anywhere to buy beaver felt or anyone willing to give advice on making hats. I have researched you tube and watched numerous videos but seem to be leaving out steps or tips... any advice where to find a step by step to start with them trial and error?

8. jlee562

jlee562 I'll Lock Up

If I were a hatter, I'm not so sure if want to broadcast my "trade secrets" on youtube. Since most custom hatters are working with Winchester felts, a great deal of the value of a custom is how the individual hat maker finishes the felt and trimmings. There's a great video of Art Fawcett making a hat, but certain parts are indeed left out.

My understanding is that JW hats offers equipment and advice to hatters.

Sources of felt has been covered in this thread ad nauseum, the links are all here. The issue is getting on Winchester's customer list.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  9. I have no first hand knowledge or experience with his hats but Kansas City Hatters started less than 2 yrs ago from a Kickstarter campaign.

https://www.kansascityhatters.com/

Zombie_61 likes this.
  10. steur

steur I'll Lock Up

I've been reading about the state of California banning fur products as of 2023 and residents will no longer be able to sell or make clothing, shoes or handbags from fur as of that date. Now fur felt hats are made of fur obviously. Any ideas on how this will affect hat manufacture and sales in this state? As far as I've gathered the ban doesn't affect vintage items, but how would that work? And will this become a thing in other states as well?

11. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

I think there's a separate thread on this. Jared (@jlee) did some research and doesn't believe it will affect hats.

The beaver lobby is not especially strong in Sacramento, apparently.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Rmccamey, Bamaboots and steur like this.
  12. jlee562

jlee562 I'll Lock Up

Thread is here:
    https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/would-californias-ab44-ban-fur-felt-hats.98221/

The legislative text in question is:
    The SF Ban, which was passed in 2018, carries an almost identical definition for "fur."

I sent off an email to the SF City Supervisor who sponsored that bill, inquiring about its impact on Paul's Hat Works, and the reply I got back was:
    I am therefore extrapolating to assume that the statewide ban similarly does not target fur felt hats.

steur, M Hatman and Frunobulax like this.
  13. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

Thanks, Jared.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

14. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

There are some examples of animal products being banned. Coral for example, is banned throughout the US and the UK, it's probably a worldwide ban too. It wasn't that long ago that piano keys were made from elephant tusks, now most ivories are banned, helping the rhino and the walrus as well as the elephant. There are poachers of course, wherever there's a law, there's a law breaker, but the essence of the ban is to protect the species that have been over hunted.

steur and Zombie_61 like this.
  15. Farace

Farace New in Town

Guitar picks were once made from tortoise shell, which has been banned now for many years, and surviving tortoise picks are highly prized. Something I didn't know until recently is that it's even illegal to repurpose pre-ban tortoise shell into new uses, so that even if a tea tray made from a tortoise that's been dead for 100 years, one cannot now legally cut that tray into guitar picks. I suppose it makes sense, as there no way to know from looking at the picks that they came from pre-ban shell. I did have someone send me a piece from an old tea tray (before either of us knew better, thinking it was grandfathered), and I made a few picks. (Honestly, to me it didn't really sound any better than celluloid.) I wonder if it's the same with ivory; I once had a bunch of ivory key tops that I peeled from a ruined old pump organ. I ended up trading them to a luthier in exchange for some repair work.

16. Donna Winslow

Thank you

Rmccamey likes this.
  17. I am waiting for them to ban ANY animal hair products, skin attached or not.....then not only will fur felts go away, but........so will wool........and then they will act all surprised, like it was an unintended consequence......then never QUITE get it all resolved.......THEN we are stuck with paper and plastic hats......that is until they outlaw paper and plastic......if they had not already...........
    I think I will be fine wearing bamboo.......at least until it too.....becomes...........
    "endangered"o_O:eek::rolleyes:
    M;)

steur and Rmccamey like this.
  18. Donna Winslow

No plastic hats they will kill the sea life. Only paper

19. Donna Winslow

That was a joke.

M Hatman, Rmccamey and AbbaDatDeHat like this.
  20. drmaxtejeda

drmaxtejeda I'll Lock Up

No paper. Deforestation.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk