Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
That's about what I expected. With a uniform pattern and no creasing to be done, it seems like they could have been stamping derby's out with wooden blocks on a press almost since inception. Thanks.

Is the felt preparation the same? Do they/did they tend to make more from wool than hare or beaver? There doesn't seem to be as much chatter about the felts with derby's as with fedora's.

More shellac.

AND a big crown press........;) View attachment 192869

That's about what I expected. With a uniform pattern and no creasing to be done, it seems like they could have been stamping derby's out with wooden blocks on a press almost since inception. Thanks.

Is the felt preparation the same? Do they/did they tend to make more from wool than hare or beaver? There doesn't seem to be as much chatter about the felts with derby's as with fedora's.

You will find in Europe that Derby's and many more hats in general were made with wool felt and wool felt blends historically......

NOW, we have made a good many more fur felt hats here than in Europe (especially over the last 150 years) and currently even.

BUT, the vast amount of hats produced, even here, are the wool ones. Think of the many wool hats available in sports stores and men's shops (and I am not talking cloth, but wool felt) for example. Many from here start out with the hats of the Scala wool felts (many of which are really nicely designed, AND they have made a FEW fur felts) and even the Stetson wool hats.
Even at the peek of hat wearing buying a good fur felt was something special.....the majority of people wore wool.......(and still do now).
M;)

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Good insight, thank you.

You will find in Europe that Derby's and many more hats in general were made with wool felt and wool felt blends historically......

NOW, we have made a good many more fur felt hats here than in Europe (especially over the last 150 years) and currently even.

BUT, the vast amount of hats produced, even here, are the wool ones. Think of the many wool hats available in sports stores and men's shops (and I am not talking cloth, but wool felt) for example. Many from here start out with the hats of the Scala wool felts (many of which are really nicely designed, AND they have made a FEW fur felts) and even the Stetson wool hats.
Even at the peek of hat wearing buying a good fur felt was something special.....the majority of people wore wool.......(and still do now).
M;)

Hat and Rehat

Call Me a Cab
Many from here start out with the hats of the Scala wool felts (many of which are really nicely designed, AND they have made a FEW fur felts) and even the Stetson wool hats.
M;)
It was a relatively inexpensive wool Indy, then a $50, grey, Scala wool fedora that got me started.

Sent from my LM-X410(FG) using Tapatalk

dkstott

Practically Family
During a recent hike, my Akubra Stylemaster got pretty soaked in the rain. When I got home, I installed a hat jack to prevent any shrinking and did some minor reshaping. The hat was set aside to let it fully dry.

This morning I removed the hat jack. The hat used to fit me perfectly, but now it needs 2 foam inserts.

My guess is that I may have had the hat jack installed a little bit too tight.

Wondering if this is permanent or if the hat will shrink back after time? [emoji848]
8bf1c7b1c37c98d3fadb94fe68856a65.jpg

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here
During a recent hike, my Akubra Stylemaster got pretty soaked in the rain. When I got home, I installed a hat jack to prevent any shrinking and did some minor reshaping. The hat was set aside to let it fully dry.

This morning I removed the hat jack. The hat used to fit me perfectly, but now it needs 2 foam inserts.

My guess is that I may have had the hat jack installed a little bit too tight.

Wondering if this is permanent or if the hat will shrink back after time? [emoji848]
8bf1c7b1c37c98d3fadb94fe68856a65.jpg

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk
Steam it including the sweatband and let it dry. It should shrink up.

Lgrant

New in Town
Does anyone know a source for plastic fedora covers, like you use when you need to wear your hat in the rain? A few years ago, I found a place that had new-old stock from the ‘60s and I bought some, but I found that the vinyl had not stood up well to 50 years of aging, and they tended to split at the seams.

Thanks, Lynn

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Most western stores in my area carry those for cowboy hats. I have not found any that I thought worked well on dress weight hats. Amazon probably has them, I have not checked.

Does anyone know a source for plastic fedora covers, like you use when you need to wear your hat in the rain? A few years ago, I found a place that had new-old stock from the ‘60s and I bought some, but I found that the vinyl had not stood up well to 50 years of aging, and they tended to split at the seams.

Thanks, Lynn

Xaq

New in Town
I just received a Stylemaster from hatsdirect in Bluegrass Green (the perfect color) which is very nice except the brim is propped up a bit much. (I wear mine with it snapped up). Does anyone know if the brim flattens out at all over time or if this could be fixed? I may have to sell it if I can’t bring the brim down a little(unsnapped). Any ideas? Thanks

Attachments

• 0BA48F14-8E68-4D38-96E7-32310FEA9131.jpeg
    0BA48F14-8E68-4D38-96E7-32310FEA9131.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 682
I just received a Stylemaster from hatsdirect in Bluegrass Green (the perfect color) which is very nice except the brim is propped up a bit much. (I wear mine with it snapped up). Does anyone know if the brim flattens out at all over time or if this could be fixed? I may have to sell it if I can’t bring the brim down a little(unsnapped). Any ideas? Thanks

Have you tried steaming the brim and manually flattening the brim to your desired flange?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Xaq

New in Town
I figured there was a way to reduce the cupping on the brim, which is why I asked (I have limited knowledge and there are many experts on here)... so just steam the brim and push down?

I figured there was a way to reduce the cupping on the brim, which is why I asked (I have limited knowledge and there are many experts on here)... so just steam the brim and push down?

Steam and go slow. Lots of small applications/modifications are better than big ones. The steam makes the felt more workable...it’s not tough, just go slow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot