Ask a question, get an answer

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Lefty, Sep 2, 2009.

1. hatsandcanes

hatsandcanes Familiar Face

I just talked with the restoration place and they are going to match the brim ribbon as close as possible to the color of the felt. Thanks for all your help!

scottyrocks likes this.
  2. scottyrocks

scottyrocks I'll Lock Up

Please let us see it when you get it back.

3. Rmccamey

Rmccamey Call Me a Cab

So I've been wondering about how a bowler is/was manufactured that is different than the typical fedora to give them the solid crown and stiff brim?

20191025_152158.jpg

Steinbockhase, Zombie_61 and M Hatman like this.
  4. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

More shellac.

5. AND a big crown press........;) 20190401_150358.jpg

6. Rmccamey

Rmccamey Call Me a Cab

That's about what I expected. With a uniform pattern and no creasing to be done, it seems like they could have been stamping derby's out with wooden blocks on a press almost since inception. Thanks.

Is the felt preparation the same? Do they/did they tend to make more from wool than hare or beaver? There doesn't seem to be as much chatter about the felts with derby's as with fedora's.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  7. You will find in Europe that Derby's and many more hats in general were made with wool felt and wool felt blends historically......

NOW, we have made a good many more fur felt hats here than in Europe (especially over the last 150 years) and currently even.

BUT, the vast amount of hats produced, even here, are the wool ones. Think of the many wool hats available in sports stores and men's shops (and I am not talking cloth, but wool felt) for example. Many from here start out with the hats of the Scala wool felts (many of which are really nicely designed, AND they have made a FEW fur felts) and even the Stetson wool hats.
    Even at the peek of hat wearing buying a good fur felt was something special.....the majority of people wore wool.......(and still do now).
    M;)

8. Rmccamey

Rmccamey Call Me a Cab

Good insight, thank you.

M Hatman and Zombie_61 like this.
  9. Hat and Rehat

Hat and Rehat Call Me a Cab

It was a relatively inexpensive wool Indy, then a $50, grey, Scala wool fedora that got me started.

Sent from my LM-X410(FG) using Tapatalk

Zombie_61 and M Hatman like this.
  10. dkstott

dkstott One of the Regulars

During a recent hike, my Akubra Stylemaster got pretty soaked in the rain. When I got home, I installed a hat jack to prevent any shrinking and did some minor reshaping. The hat was set aside to let it fully dry.

This morning I removed the hat jack. The hat used to fit me perfectly, but now it needs 2 foam inserts.

My guess is that I may have had the hat jack installed a little bit too tight.

Wondering if this is permanent or if the hat will shrink back after time? [emoji848][​IMG]

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

Steinbockhase and Bill Hughes like this.
  11. RetroStyle

RetroStyle New in Town

Anyone know of must-visit hat shops, vintage consignment stores, etc. in or near Madison, WI? I'm headed there for an interview next week.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

drmaxtejeda likes this.
  12. Bill Hughes

Bill Hughes Call Me a Cab

Steam it including the sweatband and let it dry. It should shrink up.

dkstott likes this.
  13. Rmccamey

Rmccamey Call Me a Cab

Any ideas, or a thread link, to remove permanent marker ink from a leather sweatband?

steur and Bill Hughes like this.
  14. hatsRme

hatsRme I'll Lock Up

About 90 minutes away is Milwaukee, home of Brass Rooster.
    https://www.brassrooster.com/
    I'd try to make the time if I were that close.

jlee562, Zombie_61, Rmccamey and 2 others like this.
  15. steur

steur

Spray a good amount of deodorant on a paper towel and then use it to clean off the marker, Randy. I never expected it, but it works like a charm.

16. Rmccamey

Rmccamey Call Me a Cab

Never thought of that, Stefan, I'll give it a try.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  17. Lgrant

Lgrant New in Town

Does anyone know a source for plastic fedora covers, like you use when you need to wear your hat in the rain? A few years ago, I found a place that had new-old stock from the ‘60s and I bought some, but I found that the vinyl had not stood up well to 50 years of aging, and they tended to split at the seams.

Thanks, Lynn

Rmccamey likes this.
  18. Rmccamey

Rmccamey Call Me a Cab

Most western stores in my area carry those for cowboy hats. I have not found any that I thought worked well on dress weight hats. Amazon probably has them, I have not checked.

Lgrant likes this.
  19. deadlyhandsome

deadlyhandsome I'll Lock Up

drmaxtejeda likes this.
  20. Xaq

Xaq New in Town

I just received a Stylemaster from hatsdirect in Bluegrass Green (the perfect color) which is very nice except the brim is propped up a bit much. (I wear mine with it snapped up). Does anyone know if the brim flattens out at all over time or if this could be fixed? I may have to sell it if I can’t bring the brim down a little(unsnapped). Any ideas? Thanks

Attached Files:

Bill Hughes and deadlyhandsome like this.