Ask a question, get an answer

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Lefty, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Héctor Fernández

Héctor Fernández One Too Many

Hi guys, got this beater Knox Premier from Ebay and I want to know if this hat was originally a Homburg.

Thank you[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

M Hatman, steur, Blare and 5 others like this.
  2. TheOldFashioned

TheOldFashioned Practically Family

Hard to say for sure, but given the asymmetric brim binding possibly. That being said, not all brim bindings on fedoras was symmetrical, so you can't go by that alone. Does the brim seem stiffer than a "normal" fedora?

Also, that looks to be a 40s factory tag. That's probably some nicer felt for a beater. Good get, Héctor!

3. Steve1857

Steve1857 My Mail is Forwarded Here

My immediate response is no, but if it was, it's an interesting conversion. How thick is the felt, Héctor?

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Héctor Fernández likes this.
  4. Héctor Fernández

Thanks! No, the felt on the brim area is very pliable and when placed brim up, is not rolled or stiff like a Homburg.

I was curious because of the thickness of the binding in the underside of the brim. Thank you for your response.[emoji106][emoji106]

5. Héctor Fernández

Thanks Steve. Pretty thin and pliable.

Steve1857 likes this.
  6. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

That was never a Homburg. That brim binding treatment isn't that unusual.

7. Héctor Fernández

Thank you.

Steve1857 likes this.
  8. Steve1857

Steve1857 My Mail is Forwarded Here

So not a hommie. It looks more than a beater though, Héctor. Nice chocolate brown colour, ribbon and overall 40s shape.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Blare and Héctor Fernández like this.
  9. Héctor Fernández

Thanks Steve.[emoji106][emoji106][emoji275]

Steve1857 likes this.
  10. Blare

Blare One Too Many

That is beautiful Hector. Love it

Best,
    Joe

——— EVERY Day is HAT Day!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Héctor Fernández likes this.
  11. Héctor Fernández

Thanks Joe![emoji106][emoji106][emoji275]

Blare likes this.
  12. Arrowit

Arrowit New in Town

Yikes $75 for a sweatband change. I love JJ Hat Center and have spoke to Kevin a few times, and have bought a few hat from the boys but that price is steep. I just dropped off a Borsa for a new sweatband today at Henry The Hatter in Southfield Michigan, $35 and he asked if I wanted a Henry The Hatter sweat or a Borsalino sweat. I said Borsalino, I didn't know anyone had a borsalino replacement leather sweatband?

steur and deadlyhandsome like this.
  13. Arrowit

Arrowit New in Town

steur likes this.
  14. deadlyhandsome

deadlyhandsome I'll Lock Up

We tend to prefer open crowns, but the plastic Hat Shapers blocks are used by several of us. The straight sided dome is popular, and it’s what I own. I’ve thought that the blocks with the preformed crown shapes might be something to look at for Panama hats, but I’ve never pursued it. I have one of the plastic blocks that I filled with concrete to add strength when reforming thick western felts.

One of the tricky parts of ordering these blocks is that they come in small, medium, large (and other sizes), but they don’t come in actual hat sizes.

These blocks are talked about in lots of threads. A 30 second search brought up these:

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/plastic-hat-shapers-really-work.73413/

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/hatshapers-blocks-any-good.13251/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Steve1857 and jonesy86 like this.
  15. Arrowit

Arrowit New in Town

Thank You for all the information.

deadlyhandsome likes this.
  16. dkstott

dkstott One of the Regulars

Their prices went up after the first of the year. I agree that pricing might now be on the high side. I'm happy with the work that they did on my 2 hats.

JJ Hats were recommended to me by the folks at Delmonico hatter because they no longer do any hat repairs.

The options for reliable hat repairs are really dwindling. There's just some hat repairs that I need to rely on someone who knows what they're doing.

17. Arrowit

Arrowit New in Town

Yes I agree, I don't mind spending a little extra if they did good work for me in the past. Henry The Hatter is about an hour from me and I've used them before. They claim to be the oldest hatter is the USA. JJ Hat Center is supposed to be the oldest hatter in New York. They both have a lot of history and I wouldn't hesitate to send a hat to New York. My son and I are planning a trip to New York just to buy new hats from JJ Hat Center. I'll take a couple problem hats with me to have them reblocked at that time.

18. The Shoe

The Shoe One of the Regulars

B38E733E-1748-40A4-B0C4-2E830CB0CF67.jpeg Hello all. I decided to join The Fedora Lounge after your page popping up every time I did a search about anything to do with hats.
    Thanks for welcoming me into the group and I hope you can help me with a newbie question.
    I bought this hat from Christy’s and was very happy with it. It’s my first fur felt hat, I got it at a great price and with free shipping worldwide. The description didn’t say “snap brim”. Can I still wear it with the brim down at the front without damaging the hat?
    Also a question about Christy’s. While I love the hat, the customer service has been appalling. I have been trying to get an answer to the above question for about a month now. The live chat people don’t know anything, which is fine, but the always assure me that they’ve put in a ticket and that I’ll get a response within 72 hours, but most likely within 24 hours. No response has been forthcoming. I also replied to the email invoice for my hat and got an automated reply saying my mail had been received and would be replied to within 3 working days. That was a week and a half ago - no reply forthcoming. I’ve also put in my own ticket that I can follow online. These are also supposedly usually replied to within 24 hours, but may take up to 72 hours during busy periods. Guess what? Three full working days have passed and still no response.
    Has anyone else had experience with their customer service? Is this normal for them? I had my eye on the Christys’ Classic Fedora, but now I’m thinking of spending a little more for a Panizza Fedora.

Sorry my first post is so long. Well done for getting to the end and thanks in advance for your help and advice.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
    steur, Rmccamey, Blare and 4 others like this.
  19. Bill Hughes

Bill Hughes Call Me a Cab

Welcome to the group. You will find it very beneficial. And yes, you can wear the brim up or down. It will not hurt the hat.

20. The Shoe

The Shoe One of the Regulars

Thanks for that! I wonder why it’s such a difficult question for Christy’s!

Zombie_61 and Bill Hughes like this.