Ask a question, get an answer

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Lefty, Sep 2, 2009.

1. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

There is a post on this thread / previous page. JJ Hats in NY City charge $75, Henry the Hatter in S Michigan charge $35. In my experience $35 is a decent price. I think the lowest I paid was $25 but that was from a custom hatter I have ordered many hats from and he did it as a favour. The only hatter I know of on the east coast is Alley Kat in Pennsylvania, not sure if he does repairs...but maybe worth a check. FineVintageFedoras on Etsy do good work and he does refurb work at a reasonable price.

hatsRme and Arrowit like this.
  2. DaveProc

DaveProc One Too Many

Thank you!

3. The Shoe

The Shoe A-List Customer

Further to this, the question remains unanswered by Christys’ after a week. It’s been a full month altogether. I got on the live chat again last night and explained the process I’d been through and also mentioned I’d joined a hat lovers group and got an answer within 5 minutes. I also told them that because of this I wouldn’t be purchasing the Fedora I had my eye on, but had ordered a Panizza instead. The live chat person was apologetic but the live chat people are always friendly. They just don’t know anything.
    Anyhow, it finished with him telling me to “pop back in” if there’s anything else they can help with. I told them I didn’t think that would be happening!

AbbaDatDeHat and Bill Hughes like this.
  4. I just received a Stetson Forty fedora today. I’ve done a Google search of The Lounge looking for other examples. I’ve seen several HCA hats with the Forty designation, but no other Stetsons. Was this a short-lived model? Anyone else have one?

Rmccamey likes this.
  5. deadlyhandsome likes this.
  6. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

Zombie_61 and deadlyhandsome like this.
  7. Rmccamey

Rmccamey My Mail is Forwarded Here

Zombie_61 and deadlyhandsome like this.
  8. David Hill

David Hill New in Town

I have a hat sizing question. My head measures exactly 22 inches. Should I get a 7 1/8 or a 7? A 7 is 21 7/8 and a 7 1/8 is a 22 1/4. Thank you

deadlyhandsome likes this.
  9. when you are between sizes it’s normally best to go up to the larger size.

Zombie_61, M Hatman and Rmccamey like this.
  10. David Hill

David Hill New in Town

That is what I have always done and with my Akubras they eventially fit perfect. I have a Stetson in a 7 1/8 which hasn't shrunk at all.

11. jlee562

jlee562 I'll Lock Up

Yes, Akubras are notorious for shrinkage as they use a lesser quality leather. Most Stetsons currently are coming with Roan leather sweatbands, which is the upgrade offered on Akubra's heritage series.

It's not uncommon to have a hat that is not perfectly sized, but Brent's advice is sound. I'm at about 22" as well and haven't had a major issue with most size 7 hats I encounter.

12. jlee562

jlee562 I'll Lock Up

New Catalog is live now.

http://www.hat-co.com/perch//resources/f20-stetson-city-no-prices-1.pdf

Excellent Quality "Pure Open Road" is nice...except for the pre-formed crown. The hat I was hoping would be in the style of the Stetson Japan repro Boss of the Plains is actually called the "Pike's Peak." They've also adapted vegan leather sweats on some models. Will be interesting to see the durability of it on hat bands. Premier Strat is the only open crown fedora.

Hat and Rehat and deadlyhandsome like this.
  13. Thanks, Jared. The pure beaver offerings are tempting. I wonder how much crown the OR has if the crease is pushed out?

14. new2hats

new2hats One of the Regulars

Hi, I have a hat storage question that I didnt see anywhere so far. I have a bunch of hats and space is getting limited in my closet. I keep them all in boxes. My question is, how are hats if I store the boxes on their side? I guess that hat would be either upright or upside down in the box since that's how they are sitting in the box. Anyone with experience or expertise on side storage? I can fit a lot more in my closet that way!

15. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

I would say it depends on the box. A traditional, old-style commercial hat box - oval with the support in side - seems kinda dodgy if turned sideways. Without the inner support (not all still have them), you might as well just store your hat on the side, which would affect it's shape. I think you'd have better luck with the newer, square boxes with the full insert/support. Still not ideal. Sit one up on it's side for a week and check the hat for "damage."

Frankly, I just advise getting a bigger house. Or all that pesky furniture; it's just getting in the way of your hats anyway.

16. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

If I got rid of my wife I would gain the entire other half of the closet! 50 more hats worth!

17. humanshoes

humanshoes One Too Many

That would just make you a fool with 50 more hats.

18. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

Now, now...I didn't say that. Just get her a She Shed.

Depends on the wife.
    And the hats...

Zombie_61 and jlee562 like this.
  19. Bamaboots

Bamaboots

I can attest to both.

Robieman, Zombie_61, Rmccamey and 3 others like this.