Ask a question, get an answer

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Lefty, Sep 2, 2009.

1. My sister's husband Jim is simply known as "Dammit Jim".

[​IMG]

Blare, AbbaDatDeHat, steur and 6 others like this.
  2. The Shoe

The Shoe A-List Customer

So this hat popped up on a second hand site I use over here in Japan. It says it’s a vintage hat from the 1960s, that the felt is in beautiful condition and the only damage is small scratches on the sweatband. The pictures, though seem to show some spots on the felt. Olive green with a black ribbon.

It’s going for 9000 yen - that’s about $83 US.

I’m wondering what people can tell me about the hat, the brand and if it’s worth considering. I may be able to knock the price down a little.

On a side note, is there a hard and fast definition of the term vintage hat? Over here where the hat culture isn’t so strong, people tend to call anything that looks vaguely like a fedora a vintage hat.

IMG_2526.jpg IMG_2527.jpg IMG_2528.jpg IMG_2529.jpg IMG_2530.jpg IMG_2526.jpg IMG_2527.jpg IMG_2528.jpg IMG_2529.jpg IMG_2530.jpg

steur, hatsRme, M Hatman and 3 others like this.
  3. drmaxtejeda

drmaxtejeda I'll Lock Up

Hahahaha!
    I haven't been able to enter the lounge as much as I used to lately, because of Tapatalk being down.
    Sorry if this has already been asked, but is there any news on the subject?

AbbaDatDeHat likes this.
  4. AbbaDatDeHat

AbbaDatDeHat I'll Lock Up

Hey Max:
    Being a person that entertains conspiracy theories from time to time in opposition to coincidental occurrence theory....
    An argument could be made that Tapatalk tried to put the squeeze on Lounge members to upgrade, having failed to prevail, “glitches” mysteriously appeared causing havoc with the servers. Not being able to eat, the Lounge tapped out on Tapnbalk...err..Tapatalk. No tip either.
    Hearings will begin to get to the bottom of this, heads won’t roll and today is tomorrow’s good old days.
    Still down i think Max.
    B

M Hatman, Frunobulax and Rmccamey like this.
  5. Rmccamey

Rmccamey My Mail is Forwarded Here

If you search for Tapatalk you will find articles where other forums have dropped them because they collect user data in opposition to forum policies, excessive ads, and security issues.

6. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

Maybe Tapatalk was being used in Iowa last night?

M Hatman, Zombie_61, hatsRme and 7 others like this.
  7. drmaxtejeda

drmaxtejeda I'll Lock Up

I paid for the service. It wasn't much, but I paid. And other forums in Tapatalk are up and running, like the Golf forum. It's jus the FL that doesn't work.

deadlyhandsome likes this.
  8. KarlEscobar10

KarlEscobar10 New in Town

Hi guys! I just wanted to ask those of you who order hat bodies from Fepsa, how was the process of ordering? I emailed them a couple days ago regarding an inquiry I have but still no response. I want to source my hat bodies from them as they provide great prices for it but I want to get in touch with them first so I know how the ordering process is. Any advice?

9. Rmccamey

I have a situation with a hat where the liner is sagging onto my head when I'm wearing it. I assume this is partly due to age, storage methods over its lifetime, and the weight of the liner top itself (and the cellophane). What are recommendations to keep the liner "attached" to the top of the hat?

10. Staples? Oh ... a good idea. Umm ... maybe fabric starch?

Frunobulax and Rmccamey like this.
  11. Rmccamey

This is my backup plan...

WTF hat.jpg

12. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

If it's taped in, take it out and put some double-sided tape on top. If it's sewn in, it's up to yo whether you want to take those stitches out.

Sometimes, if you open the crown over a block and give it a good steam ironing, it will help the liner stay in.

Put a light cloth, like a hankie, between the iron and the felt.

Rmccamey likes this.
  13. AbbaDatDeHat

AbbaDatDeHat I'll Lock Up

I’m going with hairspray....again. Kinda the coat hanger and duct tape of hats. Works but gets no respect. Lol
    B

Rmccamey likes this.
  14. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

Fepsa only deals in volume and are not interested in speaking to you unless you are prepared for an opening order somewhere over $10K. Once you do that I am not sure how onerous are their reorder requirements. I think most custom hatters in the US would love to offer Fepsa beaver but the opening order is just too big a bite.

15. new2hats

new2hats One of the Regulars

I have a question. I bought some new old stock from RMR when they went out of business. Now they are very nice, but I dont seem to want to wear the hats because they are the last of their kind. Museum quality? Are these like the last new ones on Earth? Partly I want to keep as unworn for value, partly want to wear (seize the day). Any thoughts?

Rmccamey likes this.
  16. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

It is a personal choice there is no right/wrong answer. What gives you the most joy, looking at them on a shelf or wearing them?

17. David Hill

David Hill New in Town

I am having David Gibson make me a custom hat, but in the meantime I saw a whippet on sale and it just arrived. The specifications as I know them is the crown in front should be 4 inches and 4.5 inches at the highest point on the sides. This one is 3.75 inches in front. Is it normal for Stetsons to be off like that?

18. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

You don't specify if modern or vintage. That would make a difference.

19. David Hill

David Hill New in Town

It is a modern one from Delmonico.

20. Héctor Fernández

Héctor Fernández One Too Many

Enjoy them!