Ask a question, get an answer

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Lefty, Sep 2, 2009.

1. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

1. Buy a hat brush. $20 and you are set or for less buy an orange open pore hat sponge. You will need these as ongoing maintenance anyways
    2. Check out the thread here in the Lounge on "Naptha Bath". It is the best way to clean a fur felt hat .
    3. Use the Naptha and it takes care of odours in the felt as well. The naptha gasses off and leaves no odour after a week or less.
    4. Don't immerse the leather in the naptha. Use a little bit of Lexol on the leather prior to the naptha bath as protectant and then when the hats dries give the sweat another treatment of Lexol.
    5. Yes steam is your best friend.
    6. If the liner is soiled and it is a modern hat then the liner is likely just glued in not sewn. Remove it and gently clean the liner in woolite or a gentle lingerie soap. Reattach with a double sided tape. If there is any moth nibbles there is also a good thread on repairing moth divots.

1967Cougar390 and SteveFord like this.
  2. Bill Hughes

Bill Hughes Call Me a Cab

Yes it’s 50s.

Ken David likes this.
  3. Woodtroll

Woodtroll Practically Family

I would add, if you can't do the naptha bath that Belfastboy suggested on all the hats pretty quickly, you should stick them in the deep freeze for 2-3 days to make sure any moth eggs or larvae are killed, before you bring them into the house for any length of time. As someone who owns a few nicer felt hats and quite a few wool shirts and pants, I'm scared to death of those little buggers, and even freeze new hats and shirts that come into my home.

Good luck!
    Regan

4. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

Yeah, I'd say mid- to late fifties with those dimensions and that re-order label. The liner tip is also indicative of a higher end 50s hat.

5. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

good point. I quarantine any old hats in my garage until I can clean them. I am paranoid about the little buggers.

1967Cougar390 likes this.
  6. Ken David

Ken David One of the Regulars

7. jonesy86

jonesy86 My Mail is Forwarded Here

Any suggestions for a travel hat?

I'm planning a trip to Italy and Greece 4 weeks, around the end of may-beginning of June, looking for a decent travel hat. Will be traveling light on planes, busses, trains and ferries with a small carryon back pack, and smaller day pack. Going to visit Rome, Athens, and several Greek Islands. Thinking of a foldable or packable hat.

Any ideas or suggestions welcome>

Peace

1967Cougar390 and deadlyhandsome like this.
  8. Stop by Agnoulita while in Greece. He has Milan and Panama straw hats as well as fur felt.

As for a hat recommendation, the foldable/packable requirement is quite limiting. How about a Tilley hat?

9. jonesy86

jonesy86 My Mail is Forwarded Here

Thanks DH
    I just went to the Agnoulita page and saw that he is featuring "The Deadly Handsome" hat LOL. I may stop by his shop on my way north from Crete, as I noticed that it is not far from where the ferries land near Athens.

Thanks for the suggestion on Tilley hats, I had not considered a cloth hat, but this one doesn't look too bad:

https://www.tilley.com/us_en/ltm6-airflo-hat.html

Are there any lesser quality foldable Panamas worth looking at? I have heard about foldable felt, but never seen one. Maybe I will see if I can crunch one of my plastic hats into a backpack if need be. Possibly my Akubra Country Club, or Dobbs Rosebud. The Akubra certainly seems indestructible.

Thanks again.

Blare and 1967Cougar390 like this.
  10. jlee562

jlee562 I'll Lock Up

I bought a foldable Hatco Stetson Forty Seven 'Panama.'

It was.....not great. It does fold, but the brim just never looked presentable to me.

JJ has some travel felts on clearance, but I've no idea on the quality
    https://jjhatcenter.com/collections/the-backroom/products/the-explorer-in-navy

1967Cougar390 likes this.
  11. Xylophile

Xylophile One of the Regulars

I needed a hat to travel with on motorcycle trips, and ended up with a linen eight panel cap. Linen for the warm weather and the cap for portability. I was taking an Akubra Country Club and wanted to avoid having to accommodate it. (for the curious, and because I can't find any pictures of my bike at the moment, here are some images of what I ride: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=henderson...com/listimg/img1_1215/12/img_M7H0l4HCA8_r.jpg)

12. Paycheck

Paycheck New in Town

Question from a new guy. Are there any good hat shops in NC, specifically the Raleigh area?

Ken David likes this.
  13. Bamaboots

Bamaboots

14. Hat and Rehat

Hat and Rehat Call Me a Cab

I have mission style dining furniture. Each chair is good for two hats.

deadlyhandsome likes this.
  15. Dotneck

Dotneck Familiar Face

I don't know of any good stores in Raleigh but there is a place in Greensboro called Mitchell's Clothing. Large selection of hats. The place is run by the original owner and his wife. They're kind of quiet until you get them talking. We ended up buying a handful of straw hats for my son's wedding. Its worth a look see if you are in the neighborhood.

16. Ken David

17. Ken David

Never heard of the store. Thanks for posting the info. I live near Greensboro and will have to check them out. What kind of hats do they sell?

18. The Shoe

The Shoe A-List Customer

I’m looking for some advice re Akubra hat size. You can’t buy them here in Japan, but I found a nice looking second hand Plainsman for a reasonable price.
    My head measures just under 59 cm (but over 58.5). I usually wear a 59 or 60cm hat. I have wool felt and soft straw Bailey hats at L size (59) and a stiffer Toho paper Bailey at XL (60). My Christys’ is a 59.
    The Akubra is a 59 and I think it’ll be a good fit, but I can’t try one at the shop, so advice from anyone who owns one would be great.

19. Lean'n'mean

Lean'n'mean My Mail is Forwarded Here

Since it's second hand, you don't know how the hat was used & stored. It's probably safe to presume that the sweatband/hat may have shrunk a little, so either it will fit or may need some gentle coaxing with a hat stretcher. If however, the previous owner left the hat in a car or next to a window in summer or dried it close to radiator when it got wet, etc. then it could be several sizes too small.

Hat and Rehat likes this.
  20. The Shoe

The Shoe A-List Customer

Thanks for the reply.
    Judging by the photos, it really looks to be in excellent condition. They’ve included pictures of the sweatband and it looks fine, too.
    Any particular questions I should ask?

Attached Files:

Bill Hughes likes this.