Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Anyone know about Mirakal hats? I see some connection to Writes hats which may be connected to Beaver Brand. I saw one online and was about to disregard it as a wool felt hat, but something made me pause and look closer. Maybe a heather?

A950F653-FEE8-4627-920D-1EBFB4951BF4.jpeg
DBD34200-8FF0-410B-A638-63FEF23A01D4.jpeg
C77F1666-B39E-4072-A984-E5542C149185.jpeg
623AF832-36CE-4534-BA45-E705E340B162.jpeg
83DD05AC-E863-47E4-AD40-2737497FC1EB.jpeg
D84417EB-8A77-44FB-8472-4A2AC9E5CD14.jpeg
EDFE671E-4896-4258-8B81-9B76695DA2E3.jpeg

Héctor Fernández

One Too Many
It kind of looks like my Heather Mallory. I'll say you are probably correct.

Nice size, lol....

Anyone know about Mirakal hats? I see some connection to Writes hats which may be connected to Beaver Brand. I saw one online and was about to disregard it as a wool felt hat, but something made me pause and look closer. Maybe a heather?

View attachment 213857 View attachment 213858 View attachment 213859 View attachment 213860 View attachment 213861 View attachment 213862 View attachment 213863

View attachment 213857 View attachment 213858 View attachment 213859 View attachment 213860 View attachment 213861 View attachment 213862 View attachment 213863

The seller has included this:

3C7B0615-3D84-4E3C-BF00-28BAF1036ABD.jpeg

It’s $60 including shipping if anyone is interested. Max @drmaxtejeda ?

Heading to Browning Montana late this spring. It is the centre for the Blackfeet Nation...going to hang out there for a few weeks just to see what is there.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
There was a Rothschild that made some nice derby's but the font looks different so I'm not sure it would be the same company.

new2hats

A-List Customer
ok, age old question. Found some info on other sites but I want to be sure I have the best info...

I have acquired a bunch of hats from Ebay, all in varying condition. How should I treat them when I get them. By visiting this site and researching, I am thinking of doing these:

1. Brush hat with hat brush. I saw a reference about bunching up toilet paper to brush off, but that doesnt seem to work. Should I use a lint roller or pet hair remover.
2. Stick hat in washing machine (j.k.), but is it safe to use water to spot clean? sponge it off? Damp wash, or can I use alot of water. I guess it is used to rain so probably safe. How to clean the ribbon? Wipe lining clean, use water or anything else. I guess any ice would have died by now
3. Newspaper inside and store for a while to remove vintage odor
4. Lexol for leather sweatband?
5. Steam crown to shape, stretch with stretcher or padding if large
6. Anything else
7. put up pic on the FL!

Sorry for the newbie questions, thanks for any answers, or a link to answer my questions is appreciated!

Ken David

One of the Regulars
Factory_label.jpg
sweat1.jpg
Been a while since I posted in the hat forum....just don't come across many fedoras these days. Anyway I came across this Dobbs Twenty Guild Edge (Cavanagh Edge) in mint condition recently. Size 7 3/8 LO, brown. Posting a couple quick pics….from what I have read this appears to be from the 1950s (can somebody confirm- thinking the mid 50s??). Brim I believe is 2 ½ and crown 5 1/2 (not the desired 2 ¾ and 5 5/8 that commands more $) but not quite the stingy of the 1960s. Really nice hat too bad the brim was not ¼” wider (and crown a smidge higher) ☹

JUenwGb.jpg

Vf9Vmum.jpg

ANEWJoo.jpg

ok, age old question. Found some info on other sites but I want to be sure I have the best info...

I have acquired a bunch of hats from Ebay, all in varying condition. How should I treat them when I get them. By visiting this site and researching, I am thinking of doing these:

1. Brush hat with hat brush. I saw a reference about bunching up toilet paper to brush off, but that doesnt seem to work. Should I use a lint roller or pet hair remover.
2. Stick hat in washing machine (j.k.), but is it safe to use water to spot clean? sponge it off? Damp wash, or can I use alot of water. I guess it is used to rain so probably safe. How to clean the ribbon? Wipe lining clean, use water or anything else. I guess any ice would have died by now
6. Anything else
7. put up pic on the FL!

Sorry for the newbie questions, thanks for any answers, or a link to answer my questions is appreciated!
1. Buy a hat brush. $20 and you are set or for less buy an orange open pore hat sponge. You will need these as ongoing maintenance anyways
2. Check out the thread here in the Lounge on "Naptha Bath". It is the best way to clean a fur felt hat .
3. Use the Naptha and it takes care of odours in the felt as well. The naptha gasses off and leaves no odour after a week or less.
4. Don't immerse the leather in the naptha. Use a little bit of Lexol on the leather prior to the naptha bath as protectant and then when the hats dries give the sweat another treatment of Lexol.
5. Yes steam is your best friend.
6. If the liner is soiled and it is a modern hat then the liner is likely just glued in not sewn. Remove it and gently clean the liner in woolite or a gentle lingerie soap. Reattach with a double sided tape. If there is any moth nibbles there is also a good thread on repairing moth divots.

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here
View attachment 214029 View attachment 214030 Been a while since I posted in the hat forum....just don't come across many fedoras these days. Anyway I came across this Dobbs Twenty Guild Edge (Cavanagh Edge) in mint condition recently. Size 7 3/8 LO, brown. Posting a couple quick pics….from what I have read this appears to be from the 1950s (can somebody confirm- thinking the mid 50s??). Brim I believe is 2 ½ and crown 5 1/2 (not the desired 2 ¾ and 5 5/8 that commands more $) but not quite the stingy of the 1960s. Really nice hat too bad the brim was not ¼” wider (and crown a smidge higher) ☹

JUenwGb.jpg

Vf9Vmum.jpg

ANEWJoo.jpg
Yes it’s 50s.

Woodtroll

One Too Many

6. Anything else
7. put up pic on the FL!

I would add, if you can't do the naptha bath that Belfastboy suggested on all the hats pretty quickly, you should stick them in the deep freeze for 2-3 days to make sure any moth eggs or larvae are killed, before you bring them into the house for any length of time. As someone who owns a few nicer felt hats and quite a few wool shirts and pants, I'm scared to death of those little buggers, and even freeze new hats and shirts that come into my home.

Good luck!
Regan

View attachment 214029 View attachment 214030 Been a while since I posted in the hat forum....just don't come across many fedoras these days. Anyway I came across this Dobbs Twenty Guild Edge (Cavanagh Edge) in mint condition recently. Size 7 3/8 LO, brown. Posting a couple quick pics….from what I have read this appears to be from the 1950s (can somebody confirm- thinking the mid 50s??). Brim I believe is 2 ½ and crown 5 1/2 (not the desired 2 ¾ and 5 5/8 that commands more $) but not quite the stingy of the 1960s. Really nice hat too bad the brim was not ¼” wider (and crown a smidge higher) ☹

Yeah, I'd say mid- to late fifties with those dimensions and that re-order label. The liner tip is also indicative of a higher end 50s hat.

I would add, if you can't do the naptha bath that Belfastboy suggested on all the hats pretty quickly, you should stick them in the deep freeze for 2-3 days to make sure any moth eggs or larvae are killed, before you bring them into the house for any length of time. As someone who owns a few nicer felt hats and quite a few wool shirts and pants, I'm scared to death of those little buggers, and even freeze new hats and shirts that come into my home.

Good luck!
Regan
good point. I quarantine any old hats in my garage until I can clean them. I am paranoid about the little buggers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ