Ask a question, get an answer

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Lefty, Sep 2, 2009.

1. The Shoe

The Shoe A-List Customer

While in Osaka for the weekend, I went to the Bunjirow shop. I don’t know how well known this hat brand is outside of Japan, but they make order made fur felt hats. The hats looked pretty nice, but they didn’t fit me. Apparently they use a circular block that better fits the Japanese head. Anyhow, while their hats were nice, the ribbons were stunning. It got me wondering; I’ve been thinking about ordering a Hornskov at some stage. Is it possible to order a hat without a ribbon and then go to another hatter for the ribbon? Obviously I would have to contact the two hatters directly, but generally speaking is it something hatters would do?

Bill Hughes likes this.
  2. Bill Hughes

Bill Hughes Call Me a Cab

It should not cost more to get a ribbon. So, I would buy it with a basic ribbon then send it to the other hatter and get the ribbon replaced. Hatters replace ribbons all the time. And of course post a picture so we can enjoy the outcome.

jlee562 likes this.
  3. Robieman

Robieman A-List Customer

Anyone ever see a Stetson with a gold rectangular size tag? Saw one on the bay this weekend, and didn't see anything about them in the "Size Tag" thread.

4. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

One aspect is the added cost of the extra postage. I have commissioned just ribbons from custom hatters and then attached them to the hat myself. It is much cheaper to mail a ribbon than an entire hat.

5. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

Got a link? Or, if you don't want to expose the auction, can you grab a pic?

6. Robieman

Robieman A-List Customer

7. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

Judging by the sweat imprints, it's a pretty recent hat, I think. Can't remember seeing one of those before, either. Perhaps somebody has another one.

8. Louis Mountbatten

Louis Mountbatten One of the Regulars

I have seen the gold size tags on Stetsons. Seems to me it is a 60s/70s/80s thing. Maybe a contractor thing?

Robieman likes this.
  9. Anyone know about Mirakal hats? I see some connection to Writes hats which may be connected to Beaver Brand. I saw one online and was about to disregard it as a wool felt hat, but something made me pause and look closer. Maybe a heather?

A950F653-FEE8-4627-920D-1EBFB4951BF4.jpeg DBD34200-8FF0-410B-A638-63FEF23A01D4.jpeg C77F1666-B39E-4072-A984-E5542C149185.jpeg 623AF832-36CE-4534-BA45-E705E340B162.jpeg 83DD05AC-E863-47E4-AD40-2737497FC1EB.jpeg D84417EB-8A77-44FB-8472-4A2AC9E5CD14.jpeg EDFE671E-4896-4258-8B81-9B76695DA2E3.jpeg

10. Héctor Fernández

Héctor Fernández One Too Many

It kind of looks like my Heather Mallory. I'll say you are probably correct.

Nice size, lol....

deadlyhandsome likes this.
  11. Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  12. My question is did it originally come with a label that’s not on it now? Like those criminals who remove the tags from mattresses! ;)

Just A Hat Rack, SteveFord and Blare like this.

13. The seller has included this:

3C7B0615-3D84-4E3C-BF00-28BAF1036ABD.jpeg

It’s $60 including shipping if anyone is interested. Max @drmaxtejeda ?

drmaxtejeda likes this.
  14. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

Heading to Browning Montana late this spring. It is the centre for the Blackfeet Nation...going to hang out there for a few weeks just to see what is there.

BobHufford and deadlyhandsome like this.
  15. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

[​IMG]

16. drmaxtejeda

drmaxtejeda I'll Lock Up

Nah. I don't like the shape.

17. Ah, to be able to be so discriminating with vintage hats. :)

drmaxtejeda and Rmccamey like this.
  18. Rmccamey

Rmccamey My Mail is Forwarded Here

There was a Rothschild that made some nice derby's but the font looks different so I'm not sure it would be the same company.

19. new2hats

new2hats One of the Regulars

ok, age old question. Found some info on other sites but I want to be sure I have the best info...

I have acquired a bunch of hats from Ebay, all in varying condition. How should I treat them when I get them. By visiting this site and researching, I am thinking of doing these:

1. Brush hat with hat brush. I saw a reference about bunching up toilet paper to brush off, but that doesnt seem to work. Should I use a lint roller or pet hair remover.
    2. Stick hat in washing machine (j.k.), but is it safe to use water to spot clean? sponge it off? Damp wash, or can I use alot of water. I guess it is used to rain so probably safe. How to clean the ribbon? Wipe lining clean, use water or anything else. I guess any ice would have died by now
    3. Newspaper inside and store for a while to remove vintage odor
    4. Lexol for leather sweatband?
    5. Steam crown to shape, stretch with stretcher or padding if large
    6. Anything else
    7. put up pic on the FL!

Sorry for the newbie questions, thanks for any answers, or a link to answer my questions is appreciated!

20. Ken David

Ken David One of the Regulars

Factory_label.jpg sweat1.jpg Been a while since I posted in the hat forum....just don't come across many fedoras these days. Anyway I came across this Dobbs Twenty Guild Edge (Cavanagh Edge) in mint condition recently. Size 7 3/8 LO, brown. Posting a couple quick pics….from what I have read this appears to be from the 1950s (can somebody confirm- thinking the mid 50s??). Brim I believe is 2 ½ and crown 5 1/2 (not the desired 2 ¾ and 5 5/8 that commands more $) but not quite the stingy of the 1960s. Really nice hat too bad the brim was not ¼” wider (and crown a smidge higher) ☹

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]