Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BIGG SHOW

Familiar Face
Hello,
is this the right place to “ask a question” ? I’m not too tech savvy and I’m not sure I’m posting in the right way/spot? please let me know... anyone! Lol
Cheers!

howdydoodytime

New in Town
Hi, I'm new to this forum and have a question and thought this would be the thread to ask it (excuse me if I'm wrong) I hope someone can help me! I'm trying to track down this hat here that Ben Lee is wearing (musician). I've looked at a few Brands already eg. Goorin Bros, Jaxon & James, Brixton though nothing seems to have the same shaped crown. If anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-25 at 7.11.04 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-25 at 7.11.04 pm.png
    384.8 KB · Views: 444
  • Screen Shot 2020-03-25 at 7.11.12 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-25 at 7.11.12 pm.png
    349.4 KB · Views: 408
  • Screen Shot 2020-03-25 at 7.11.20 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-25 at 7.11.20 pm.png
    707 KB · Views: 461
  • Screen Shot 2020-03-25 at 7.11.31 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-25 at 7.11.31 pm.png
    259.7 KB · Views: 526

BIGG SHOW

Familiar Face
Ok,
I’m making an assumption that this IS the correct place on the lounge to ask a question so I’ll proceed...

I’m ready to order a Akubra Fedora from Hatsdirect. I’d order from David Morgan seeing as I’m in the USA but I want the Burnt Oak color so that isn’t an option. My two Stetson fedoras are a 7 3/4 size and fit perfect. I’m between a 7 5/8 and a 7 3/4. I’ve tried a few 7 5/8 hats on that just don’t fit. Too small. I’ve read that folks say to “size up” one size with Akubra hats. Yet, technically, the 7 3/4 is a tad “up” for me. Should I order this same size when purchasing an Akubra Fedora? A size up from a 7 3/4 will be too big. I’m simply wondering if I should order a
7 5/8 rather than a 7 3/4 (if Akubra hats run larger)? I know it’s better to have a hat a tad bigger than a hat too small. I just worry it’ll be too big? I’m actually beating myself up way too much over this decision.. I need some solid advice from members with first hand or (head ) knowledge when it comes to Akubra sizing.
Any thoughts and information would be greatly appreciated!
Cheers

BIGG SHOW

Familiar Face
Perfect spot to ask a hat related question. Anything of deeper or greater import is generally above our pay grade
Perfect spot to ask a hat related question. Anything of deeper or greater import is generally above our pay grade
Thank you Sir! I appreciate the response. Perhaps you have a experience with Akubra hats and can provide an answer to my just now posted question with regards to the sizing of the brand?

Hi, I'm new to this forum and have a question and thought this would be the thread to ask it (excuse me if I'm wrong) I hope someone can help me! I'm trying to track down this hat here that Ben Lee is wearing (musician). I've looked at a few Brands already eg. Goorin Bros, Jaxon & James, Brixton though nothing seems to have the same shaped crown. If anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated!
It looks to me that it may have started out life as a 'pork pie' styled hat with the round telescope bash. Mr Lee has since reshaped it into a more 'fedora' like bash. Have you perused Ebay for fur felt hats in your size? You may be able to score one similar in overall dimensions and then have some fun reshaping it to suit your desires.. Stingy brims are ubiquitous on Ebay at generally very low prices and offer better value than Goorin type hats. Depending on your size this can be true of vintage hats.

Ok,
I’m making an assumption that this IS the correct place on the lounge to ask a question so I’ll proceed...

I’m ready to order a Akubra Fedora from Hatsdirect. I’d order from David Morgan seeing as I’m in the USA but I want the Burnt Oak color so that isn’t an option. My two Stetson fedoras are a 7 3/4 size and fit perfect. I’m between a 7 5/8 and a 7 3/4. I’ve tried a few 7 5/8 hats on that just don’t fit. Too small. I’ve read that folks say to “size up” one size with Akubra hats. Yet, technically, the 7 3/4 is a tad “up” for me. Should I order this same size when purchasing an Akubra Fedora? A size up from a 7 3/4 will be too big. I’m simply wondering if I should order a
7 5/8 rather than a 7 3/4 (if Akubra hats run larger)? I know it’s better to have a hat a tad bigger than a hat too small. I just worry it’ll be too big? I’m actually beating myself up way too much over this decision.. I need some solid advice from members with first hand or (head ) knowledge when it comes to Akubra sizing.
Any thoughts and information would be greatly appreciated!
Cheers
There is a loooong thread in The Lounge about Akubra sweat bands shrinking. In general the shrinkage seems to occur most often and is the severest with those who sweat a lot. Hatsdirect is a quality seller so I would suggest you give them your head measurement in centimetres as it is a more exact measure. Ask their opinion on which size hat would fit you best. They are sized in CM rather than US sizes to start with. Are you a tweener or exact even measure? I measure exactly 59cm but when I order a custom I get it sized to a 59.5cm as I prefer a looser fit. Perhaps you are a 61.5cm so ordering a 62 makes the most sense to me.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up

One thing to consider is that it may be a previous year's model.

whenever I see an underwelt brim like that, I think wool felt hat. I checked a few Dorfman catalogues (because, quarantine), and didn't find a match either.

maybe one of these clearance hats will fit you? Though JJ can't ship it to you at the moment.

https://jjhatcenter.com/collections/the-backroom/products/the-badger
https://jjhatcenter.com/collections/the-backroom/products/the-diamond-by-biltmore

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
14AA890A-CD16-4B7F-931A-14A3582D0E7D.jpeg
This 50s straw was given to me a while back. Looks dirty and aged, but very supple and there are no cracks anywhere. Someone with a specialized hat block could probably make this hat into a fine vintage lid.
I was wondering if it could be saved and if anyone out there would be interested in it? Don’t know the weave count per inch, but it’s incredibly tight!
If someone wants it I could send it to them if they pay the shipping, plus ten bucks for gas to the PO.
87D71C17-642C-4599-B5C6-BDB6E264D64C.jpeg

Last edited:
View attachment 222852 This 50s straw was given to me a while back. Looks dirty and aged, but very supple and there are no cracks anywhere. Someone with a specialized hat block could probably make this hat into a fine vintage lid.
I was wondering if it could be saved and if anyone out there would be interested in it? Don’t know the weave count per inch, but it’s incredibly tight!
If someone wants it I could send it to them if they pay the shipping, plus ten bucks for gas to the PO. View attachment 222854
rough guess as to size?

The man who owned the hat was a
7 1/4. I still have two others from him that were also given to me. A 50s Strat and a 50s Dobbs Westlite. I’ll be keeping those. I’d clean and fix this one up if I owned a fitting hat block.
I will take it if you don't mind mailing it up to Canada. As I will be deep cleaning it and reblocking it you can put it in a small box as long as it doesn't scrunch it. I will send you the money PayPal F&F as soon as you give me the total plus the tenner for gas.

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
You got it, but I would like to see the end result when you’ve finished the restoration. Please shoot me a PM with photos.
The hat belonged to my brother-in-law’s late grandfather.
I could’ve placed the hat body on eBay, but I’d rather see that someone ended up with it who not only appreciates its value, but could refurbish it correctly.
Soon as I find out how much a Canadian delivery costs, I’ll shoot you a PM.
ATTENTION:
This straw has been taken off the market.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112