Ask a question, get an answer

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Lefty, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Randall Renshaw

Randall Renshaw Practically Family

14AA890A-CD16-4B7F-931A-14A3582D0E7D.jpeg This 50s straw was given to me a while back. Looks dirty and aged, but very supple and there are no cracks anywhere. Someone with a specialized hat block could probably make this hat into a fine vintage lid.
    I was wondering if it could be saved and if anyone out there would be interested in it? Don’t know the weave count per inch, but it’s incredibly tight!
    If someone wants it I could send it to them if they pay the shipping, plus ten bucks for gas to the PO. 87D71C17-642C-4599-B5C6-BDB6E264D64C.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    Blare, Bill Hughes, Rmccamey and 2 others like this.
  2. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

rough guess as to size?

3. Randall Renshaw

The man who owned the hat was a
    7 1/4. I still have two others from him that were also given to me. A 50s Strat and a 50s Dobbs WestWard. I’ll be keeping those. I’d clean and fix this one up if I owned a fitting hat block.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    Blare and M Hatman like this.
  4. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

I will take it if you don't mind mailing it up to Canada. As I will be deep cleaning it and reblocking it you can put it in a small box as long as it doesn't scrunch it. I will send you the money PayPal F&F as soon as you give me the total plus the tenner for gas.

M Hatman likes this.
  5. Randall Renshaw

You got it, but I would like to see the end result when you’ve finished the restoration. Please shoot me a PM with photos.
    The hat belonged to my brother-in-law’s late grandfather.
    I could’ve placed the hat body on eBay, but I’d rather see that someone ended up with it who not only appreciates its value, but could refurbish it correctly.
    Soon as I find out how much a Canadian delivery costs, I’ll shoot you a PM.
    ATTENTION:
    This straw has been taken off the market.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
    Hat and Rehat, Blare, hatsRme and 2 others like this.
  6. Hat and Rehat

Hat and Rehat Call Me a Cab

If we told you we'd have to kill you.

M Hatman and SteveFord like this.
  7. Hat and Rehat

Here are a couple of questions:

I have yet to ship a hat, though I've had many shipped to me. What shipping carrier is least expensive for something light but somewhat large and also least likely to destroy a shipped hat?

The Classifieds here encourage listing vintage items. Is it also allowable to list hat tools, in particular rounding jack prototypes that function but aren't ready for prime time or a production run?

One more. What does Shorpy mean?

8. Check the websites of FedEx, UPS and USPS. The costs will depend on service level, box dimensions and distance (and insurance if over the minimum). They all have calculators to figure this. In my experience they are equal on damage issues (fairly rare).

Not sure on selling those items you are thinking about becoming a vendor for without becoming a Lounge sponsor (I’ll defer to the Bartenders).

Here is the Shorpy story:

https://www.shorpy.com/shorpy

Hat and Rehat likes this.
  9. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

I have shipped a great many hats and received many as well....all by USPS with great results. Fast delivery times at pretty good rates. As a hat is so light it is the box size that determines the cost (and distance travelled). If you pack it in as small box as possible without risking scrunching the hat it is cheap. Mailing a few states over usually costs me $10 or so in a hat box...upwards of $18 across the USA.

10. BIGG SHOW

BIGG SHOW New in Town

Hello all,
    Just curious, does anyone have any experience with the “HatBuddy” dash board hat holder? I’m thinking of getting one rather than using one of those wire jobs. It seems it’ll be quicker, easier and less of a hassle. I need a secure place to put my lid when the passenger seat is occupied. cheers

Attached Files:

11. ThomasK

ThomasK New in Town

Hey friends,

I am a fedora newbie and I really like what I see in the mirror when I wear my dress fedora with an overcoat or my „traveler“ fedora with casual cloth.

I have seen some comments in this forum that a lot of you are wearing their fedora 365 days a year.

BUT I really would like to know how you do this. In winter it is much to cold form ears – so I prefer to wear an ugly fleece ski hat and in summer it is much too warm so it seems to be better to wear a straw or so.

Now I still think from practical point of view it is better to wear in winter a ski cap (sorry I don’t know the English word) and in summer a straw. From stylish point of view a fedora is best.

Please tell me, why I am wrong – why a fedora is also from practical point of view the best choice.

Best regards from Germany

Thomas

12. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

It's just personal preference. I wear felt fedoras year round, and switch out with straws over the summer months (but still prefer felt). I wear them with all sorts of clothing, as well - from coat and tie to jeans and t-shirt to shorts and sandals. I understand wanting to wear a knit cap to cover your ears in the winter, however. I just choose not to.

13. deadlyhandsome

deadlyhandsome I'll Lock Up

I live in a mild climate so a fedora is all the hat I need in the winter unless I’m skiing or something. In the summer it gets hot here so I reluctantly switch to some sort of straw for most day-wear. If I’m dressing up for a night out, I’m wearing felt even in the middle of summer (hopefully it cools off at night).

If you watch the What Hat Are You Wearing Today thread come summer you’ll see mostly straw.

14. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

The climate here on the West Coast is temperate so I can wear my felt fedoras 10 months of the year....sometimes 11. For July and August I will break out the Panama or a lighter coloured, lighter weight felt. In January I will break out my wool knit watch cap. Surely you have shoulder seasons in Germany and it doesn't switch from blinding heat to freezing over night where a felt fedora would be perfect?

Zombie_61 and ThomasK like this.
  15. Hat and Rehat

I have worked outside much of my life even in the most brutal weather, so I am fairly acclimated to cold. I can't wear ski gloves when skiing very well because my hands soak them with perspiration. I put them on as I get off the lift but take them off in the lift line except in bitter winds. Likewise working construction outside. In extremely bitter weather I would don a knit watch cap and some mittens that the part that covered my fingers folded back on. Mostly I wore summer weight work gloves with the thumbs and first two fingers cut off at my knuckles. Occasionally I would use a hard hat liner of a flannel fabric, but I never liked to
    hinder my ability to hear unless I had to. Unless it was frostbite conditions I almost always had my ears and fingers in the weather so I'm probably not the best one to ask. I've seen Eric, who lives in Minnesota where it's much colder than Denver, wearing his Fedoras out in the snow. Those Minnesota crazies go out and fish through the ice in the middle of lakes where there's nothing to stop the wind. Go figure. I suspect in bitter winds he makes another selection although I also see him taking a nip of whiskey from time to time.
    Isn't shnaaps almost a national drink in Germany? ;-)
    I don't wear a felt fedora 365/7. In weather above 80 F. I'll be in a straw hat.

Blare, Zombie_61 and ThomasK like this.
  16. ThomasK

ThomasK New in Town

Yes we have Belfastboy, but mostly eigther warm or cold.
    Thanks for answering! Yea a lot of people are drinking Schnaps here - but I prefere Whisky! But I think I can not drink enough against cold ears in winter with my traveler ;-(

17. Lara Croft

Lara Croft New in Town

I'm new here and not sure how to post.
    Is there s for sale forum?

18. Weht

Weht New in Town

this is being advertised as a bowler i think its a fedora pushed out. what do you think? Capture+_2020-03-21-16-10-44.png Capture+_2020-03-30-10-26-46.png Capture+_2020-03-30-10-27-15.png

19. deadlyhandsome

deadlyhandsome I'll Lock Up