Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Has anyone heard from Daniele recently? Hope he is doing ok.

@Daniele Tanto
I was in contact with him last week and he was doing fine as far as the circumstances allow. He's working from home with his family members. As he's not allowed to go out except for the absolute necessities he doesn't get around to post the hats he's wearing right now.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Very good, Stefan, thanks for the update. I'm glad he is good health. I miss his hats and his stories about the countryside in Italy.

I was in contact with him last week and he was doing fine as far as the circumstances allow. He's working from home with his family members. As he's not allowed to go out except for the absolute necessities he doesn't get around to post the hats he's wearing right now.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Has anyone heard from Daniele recently? Hope he is doing ok.

Very good, Stefan, thanks for the update. I'm glad he is good health. I miss his hats and his stories about the countryside in Italy.

I thank you for your kind interest in my fate and that of those who are close to me, let's put all the Italians, because we are all there. We are all well, fortunately and despite the five weeks of close enclosure the family mood is good.
Spring has come bursting and we live it from the balconies and terraces, who has it, otherwise from the windows. We are fortunate to be able to have large spaces from which to look at the world.
The health situation seems to improve slightly, both here and in Lombardy, the most affected region. Until May 4 this situation will continue, then I believe, perhaps even earlier, it will resume production activity in stages. I stowed most of the hats in my office. only twenty are still around here at home, but now it's time for straw.
See you soon, maybe with some photos of the hats
Buona Pasqua a tutti voi!
Pasqua 2020 1.jpg

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Ah, beautiful Italy. It is good to hear from you Daniele and good to know that you and those around you are well and in good spirits. Most of the U.S. is stay-at-home and even I get out less and my hat wearing has gone down as well. As with Italy, a few more weeks and perhaps we can start to recover. If they would reopen parks and sidewalks and beaches, at least we could get out and enjoy nature a little more. Perhaps they will do so soon for us all. Chao, Daniele.

Your Mayser Superbe is still superb!

20200210_101924.jpg

I thank you for your kind interest in my fate and that of those who are close to me, let's put all the Italians, because we are all there. We are all well, fortunately and despite the five weeks of close enclosure the family mood is good.
Spring has come bursting and we live it from the balconies and terraces, who has it, otherwise from the windows. We are fortunate to be able to have large spaces from which to look at the world.
The health situation seems to improve slightly, both here and in Lombardy, the most affected region. Until May 4 this situation will continue, then I believe, perhaps even earlier, it will resume production activity in stages. I stowed most of the hats in my office. only twenty are still around here at home, but now it's time for straw.
Buona Pasqua a tutti voi! View attachment 226685

Very good to hear Stefan. Was just thinking of him.

Buona Pasqua a tutti voi! View attachment 226685
Ah.. I just needed to scroll down a bit further and here you are. Glad you are doing well my friend. Enjoy the springtime. Hopefully you will be able to enjoy more of it outside soon.

The Shoe

One Too Many
Image 2020-04-12 at 15.50.jpeg
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I'll put it out there as a quiz question. I almost purchased this hat before noticing something strange. The question: Does anyone else notice something a little odd with this from the Christys online shopping webpage?

View attachment 226938 Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I'll put it out there as a quiz question. I almost purchased this hat before noticing something strange. The question: Does anyone else notice something a little odd with this from the Christys online shopping webpage?

Bow on the right, a woman’s hat? Unless the image was reversed.

The Shoe

One Too Many
Bow on the right, a woman’s hat? Unless the image was reversed.
Or maybe it’s just me. I saw “fur felt” and immediately thought rabbit. Reading the description, it says wool. I checked with them and it is, in fact, wool felt. I’ve since discovered another hat on their site the same. Wool felt isn’t considered fur, is it?

Or maybe it’s just me. I saw “fur felt” and immediately thought rabbit. Reading the description, it says wool. I checked with them and it is, in fact, wool felt. I’ve since discovered another hat on their site the same. Wool felt isn’t considered fur, is it?

Ahhh, now I see. Although the “bow” does look to be on the right in the image.

Wool is not fur...at least not in the US. In 1939 the US passed the Wool Content Labeling Act and since then anything made, or imported for sale, in the USA had to have its wool content clearly labeled. It also describes what wool is, and rabbit, beaver, mink, nutria, etc. is not wool, it’s fur (at least in the legal sense).

The Shoe

One Too Many
Ahhh, now I see. Although the “bow” does look to be on the right in the image.

Wool is not fur...at least not in the US. In 1939 the US passed the Wool Content Labeling Act and since then anything made, or imported for sale, in the USA had to have its wool content clearly labeled. It also describes what wool is, and rabbit, beaver, mink, nutria, etc. is not wool, it’s fur (at least in the legal sense).
After my first experience with Christys (which I know you read about), I vowed never again, but i) I really like my hat, ii) I really like the cheap second hand Christys I bought, and iii) they have free worldwide shipping and some really good deals online.
When I noticed the discrepancy here, I asked the chat people and they were able to confirm that it was made of wool. I suggested that they might like to change the title because if I had ordered the hat, I would have returned it for being different from what was advertised. I was told that it was in the description, to which I responded that in the title it says rather emphatically in capital letters FUR FELT TRILBY. The chat person finally conceded that maybe it needed to be looked at.

After my first experience with Christys (which I know you read about), I vowed never again, but i) I really like my hat, ii) I really like the cheap second hand Christys I bought, and iii) they have free worldwide shipping and some really good deals online.
When I noticed the discrepancy here, I asked the chat people and they were able to confirm that it was made of wool. I suggested that they might like to change the title because if I had ordered the hat, I would have returned it for being different from what was advertised. I was told that it was in the description, to which I responded that in the title it says rather emphatically in capital letters FUR FELT TRILBY. The chat person finally conceded that maybe it needed to be looked at.

Have you looked at Akubra? The international shipping from The Hattery and Everything Australian has always seemed very reasonable to me.

The Shoe

One Too Many
Have you looked at Akubra? The international shipping from The Hattery and Everything Australian has always seemed very reasonable to me.
I was supposed to be going to Australia with my students in February and was hoping to purchase an Akubra then. Coronavirus put paid to that. Akubra don’t ship to Japan from their website, but I’ll check out the places you mentioned.
Regarding fur vs wool, my wife and I were both wondering if wool is just from sheep. We both thought “what about alpaca?”, though I’ve yet to come across a hat made from alpaca.

I was supposed to be going to Australia with my students in February and was hoping to purchase an Akubra then. Coronavirus put paid to that. Akubra don’t ship to Japan from their website, but I’ll check out the places you mentioned.
Regarding fur vs wool, my wife and I were both wondering if wool is just from sheep. We both thought “what about alpaca?”, though I’ve yet to come across a hat made from alpaca.

In the US, this is the legal definition of “wool:”

b) The term "wool" means the fiber from the fleece of the sheep or lamb or hair of the Angora or Cashmere goat (and may include the so-called specialty fibers from the hair of the camel, alpaca, llama, and vicuna) which has never been reclaimed from any woven or felted wool product.

It goes on to define reclaimed wool too.

https://www.ftc.gov/node/119457#68

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot