Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacora

Familiar Face
Just for clarification do you mean Headband or Hatband (inner sweatband/outer dress-band)?

I don't know if they sell them but they do offer refurb/repair services at a few locations and one would think a lost/broken sweatband or hatband would be repaired or replaced at such a service. Could always ask one of their distributors I guess or authorized places of repair (normally a main distrib)
I mean the outer decorative band. Akubra makes some nice looking ones.

Silver-Wolf

One of the Regulars
I thought as much but it's better to ask than assume lol.

I know for certain they offer services in Australia for repairs and that they do replace brim trims and inner leather sweatbands etc. Which band or type interested you most or did you just mean in general? If it's hard to find out over there in the US I guess it's a local call for me, let me know and I could ask.
Other option is keep an eye out for a cheap pre-loved Akubra with a leather band buy and swap them over. I saw 4 Akubra's other day $40 for the lot, but too small for me.

edit: there's also all sorts of custom ones you can buy on eBay and other places but not OEM Akubra

Last edited:

Silver-Wolf

One of the Regulars
I just spoke with someone and it seems' it's not something Akubra does or makes a habit of. I guess they don't want their badge-branded gear floating onto other brand hats maybe which is understandable.

Akubra themselves don't do the repairs it seems it's the hat stores own repair person/s do them.
Sometimes they can get a replacement band/part other times they have to look for another option.

The hat store I spoke with did say they have some other leather bands they could provide images of but that would be better between you and them. I can give you their contact details if you like.

What would be the best avenue I think is to contact the place you purchased your Akubra from and ask them about what they can do/offer or just look for or make something like for like from another brand or custom.

Last edited:

Oshie

New in Town
Hi All,

Would anyone be able to help me identify the name of the style of this Borsalino and what material it’s made from?
Thank so much.

image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
Hi All,

Would anyone be able to help me identify the name of the style of this Borsalino and what material it’s made from?
Thank so much.

View attachment 267744

That looks like one of the nasty modern 'Borsallinos' made by the investment fund that bought out Borso. I doubt it has a name/style & if you're lucky, it might be made out of rabbit fur felt but not of very good quality.

[/QUOTE]

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Yah, kinda SOL on that Borso. It's very modern. You can try matching the brim width and crown height to their current catalog listings. We know the model names of older Borsos because they used to be printed on the label. Other than that, your guess is as good as any guess someone here could give you.

Jacora

Familiar Face
So I used a woodworking clamp to measure the length vs. width of my head. (Don't try this at home, kids - Or least remember not to squeeze too tight!). It came out as ~154mm width by 191mm front to back. Or about a 1.24:1 ratio. So am I a long oval? Is there a standard for this?

So I used a woodworking clamp to measure the length vs. width of my head. (Don't try this at home, kids - Or least remember not to squeeze too tight!). It came out as ~154mm width by 191mm front to back. Or about a 1.24:1 ratio. So am I a long oval? Is there a standard for this?
what size hat do you wear?

Jacora

Familiar Face
My head measures 59.5, so I'm size 7-1/2. It is interesting that the oval in your diagram has a circumference of 61.75cm I assume it is larger than a size 60 to give room for the headband? In any case your diagram has a ratio of 1.29:1 my ratio is not quite as long. For the 17cm width my ratio would give a 21cm length. But of course that would then be a smaller circumference than your block. To keep the same circumference as your block (61.75cm), but with a 1.24:1 ratio like my head, the block width and height would be 17.44cm x 21.62 cm. That's pretty darn close to your long oval block, so I'd say, yes, I'm a long oval. :)

My head measures 59.5, so I'm size 7-1/2. It is interesting that the oval in your diagram has a circumference of 61.75cm I assume it is larger than a size 60 to give room for the headband? In any case your diagram has a ratio of 1.29:1 my ratio is not quite as long. For the 17cm width my ratio would give a 21cm length. But of course that would then be a smaller circumference than your block. To keep the same circumference as your block (61.75cm), but with a 1.24:1 ratio like my head, the block width and height would be 17.44cm x 21.62 cm. That's pretty darn close to your long oval block, so I'd say, yes, I'm a long oval. :)
I am not quite a fully blown Long Oval but they feel much more comfortable than a RegOval on me. I mis described the scan....it is the opening on my Long Oval flange which is 5mm wider than the block to allow for the thickness of the felt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo