Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Silver-Wolf

One of the Regulars
Why is it that I really like the organic haphazard shapes but when it comes time to shape my own I get fussy?
lol and I thought I was the only one with this problem, when I do it I'm never happy with the look for some reason. Some people just go whack, grab and don it on their head and it can look great.

Like Belfastboy said above, it really gives the hat that personal character/touch. I also have trouble doing a worth while diamond. Simple enough but I can just no do it, lol I tried for 2 hours on that new Campdraft and gave up sadly, it is a lot softer now at least lol.

Silver-Wolf

One of the Regulars
I could be absolutely wrong here, but I was always under the impression that a "bash" was the overall look of the crown, which includes both the "crease" and the "pinch." When I hear the term "bash," I almost visualize someone taking their hand/fist to a hat and knocking the crown around to give it the look they want.

Pretty much how us Aussie's use and think of the term when referring to a hat. It's a very common word we use for so many meanings down here. It can be a formal function, a party, giving something your best effort, beating someone up (verbally or physically)...

Why is it that I really like the organic haphazard shapes but when it comes time to shape my own I get fussy?
Yep, I share that with you. Part of it for me is that I do not own many vintage fedoras with the soft and easily shapeable crowns. So if I just grab one of my stiffer ones it just looks dented or misshapen rather than bashed with abandon. The other aspect is that I have Art Carney's desires with Cary Grant sensibility!

Just A Hat Rack

Practically Family
I’ve never heard both terms used regarding the same hat by a single author. I’ve never heard “I gave it a teardrop crease and the bash has deep side dents,” or anything along those lines. It seems to me that some people use “crease” and some people use “bash,” but it’s one or the other. I don’t use “bash” myself. I’ll use “crease” or “shape” interchangeably. I’ve also heard things like “diamond bash” and similar and those folks were referencing the top of the crown shape without regard to the side dents or the whole crown shape/style.

There could be a regional component to the usage too. It’s fascinating when we learn that we’ve been communicating for years but hold different meanings for the words we use.
Again, could be wrong, but an example I would use to my point would be Indy hats. I would describe the "Raiders bash" to be different from the "Temple bash." It's not limited to just the crease, or just the pinch. Both hats have a center dent, but the pinch is different. I've also seen hats with the Raiders tight front pinch, but may have a teardrop or C crown crease. On the flip side of that coin, I could see where someone may also refer to that hat as having a "Raiders bash." I guess it's in the eye of the beholder.

Again, could be wrong, but an example I would use to my point would be Indy hats. I would describe the "Raiders bash" to be different from the "Temple bash." It's not limited to just the crease, or just the pinch. Both hats have a center dent, but the pinch is different. I've also seen hats with the Raiders tight front pinch, but may have a teardrop or C crown crease. On the flip side of that coin, I could see where someone may also refer to that hat as having a "Raiders bash." I guess it's in the eye of the beholder.
my limited experience with Raider's folks is that there is a spectrum......on the one end of that spectrum they can tell you the minute diff from movie to movie in terms of the fedora/jacket details and on the other end an Indy hat is an Indy hat.

Just A Hat Rack

Practically Family
my limited experience with Raider's folks is that there is a spectrum......on the one end of that spectrum they can tell you the minute diff from movie to movie in terms of the fedora/jacket details and on the other end an Indy hat is an Indy hat.
Agreed. I was making reference more to those who can tell the difference between the hats. I'd even take it one step further. Some folks think hats that don't resemble Indy hats at all look like Indy hats. Like Brent said, maybe terms we use or see may be interpreted differently based on where you live, or just simple context. I'm definitely no expert, and as I said, I may be wrong. If I am, I welcome the criticism.

Agreed. I was making reference more to those who can tell the difference between the hats. I'd even take it one step further. Some folks think hats that don't resemble Indy hats at all look like Indy hats. Like Brent said, maybe terms we use or see may be interpreted differently based on where you live, or just simple context. I'm definitely no expert, and as I said, I may be wrong. If I am, I welcome the criticism.
I had on a leather jacket and a decidedly stingy brim and the first comment I received...."Oh, wearing your Indy outfit today!"

I don’t think it’s a matter or being right or being wrong. Crease and bash are just words with meanings that predated shaping of fedoras and western hats and we’ve applied them to our hats. If the international hatting nomenclature board of directors feels different they are free to contact me.

I believe it’s contextual. If I said a hat had a Raiders crease I’d also be referring to the tight pinches along with the shallow center dent/crease. Most other “bashes” aren’t so circumscribed. A diamond, C, teardrop, gutter, etc. can all have tight pinches, loose pinches, deep pockets, etc. If you said you had a hat creased like Gus from Lonesome Dove I’d also say that includes the dents, and the same if you used the word bash. I’ve never seen the terms used with distinctions; they are completely interchangeable to me. Certainly my “Hand Creased” Resistol included side dents and a mule kick and that was all part of the hand creasing.

Just A Hat Rack

Practically Family
I don’t think it’s a matter or being right or being wrong. Crease and bash are just words with meanings that predated shaping of fedoras and western hats and we’ve applied them to our hats. If the international hatting nomenclature board of directors feels different they are free to contact me.

I believe it’s contextual. If I said a hat had a Raiders crease I’d also be referring to the tight pinches along with the shallow center dent/crease. Most other “bashes” aren’t so circumscribed. A diamond, C, teardrop, gutter, etc. can all have tight pinches, loose pinches, deep pockets, etc. If you said you had a hat creased like Gus from Lonesome Dove I’d also say that includes the dents, and the same if you used the word bash. I’ve never seen the terms used with distinctions; they are completely interchangeable to me. Certainly my “Hand Creased” Resistol included side dents and a mule kick and that was all part of the hand creasing.
I get what you're saying. Instead of terms of right or wrong, I guess I meant what was more of a consensus around here. I think generally speaking folks understand that "crease," "bash," or "pinch" all refer to crown shapes, and aren't led astray by the differences of terminology used.

Now, anyone want to have a discussion on the difference between "pop" and "soda?" Or how about what the definition of "semantics" is? :)

Silver-Wolf

One of the Regulars
I get what you're saying. Instead of terms of right or wrong, I guess I meant what was more of a consensus around here. I think generally speaking folks understand that "crease," "bash," or "pinch" all refer to crown shapes, and aren't led astray by the differences of terminology used.

Now, anyone want to have a discussion on the difference between "pop" and "soda?" Or how about what the definition of "semantics" is? :)
What's "pop" and "soda" we don't call them either of those things down here lol, it's all just "Soft Drink"

lol, just another can O worms...j/k

Last edited:

Silver-Wolf

One of the Regulars
Pop and soda...you know, like a coke??? Hahaha

Yeah, I knew what you meant lol. But just in the interest of discussion and how weird us Aussies can be lol.

In Australia Coke or lemonade etc is called soft drink.... Not pop or soda, a Pop to us would be either your Grandfather, a lollie pop (as in a Chuppa Chup) or an Ice block as in a Popsicle or a sound "Pop" and soda would be carbonated water.

When I was a kid we didn't have a local Pop or Soda shop, we called it a Milk Bar. They sold milk shakes and Ice Creams, lollies and eventually also take away food like hot chips and burgers, fish, BBQ chickens etc.

Last edited:

The Shoe

One Too Many
Yeah, I knew what you meant lol. But just in the interest of discussion and how weird us Aussies can be lol.

In Australia Coke or lemonade etc is called soft drink.... Not pop or soda, a Pop to us would be either your Grandfather, a lollie pop (as in a Chuppa Chup) or an Ice block as in a Popsicle or a sound "Pop" and soda would be carbonated water.

When I was a kid we didn't have a local Pop or Soda shop, we called it a Milk Bar. They sold milk shakes and Ice Creams, lollies and eventually also take away food like hot chips and burgers, fish, BBQ chickens etc.
Fizzy drink on my side of the Tasman. Interesting that some may distinguish between Soda and pop, though...I’m sure I’ve heard the term Soda-pop, too.
More importantly, I got the Snowy River.

Silver-Wolf

One of the Regulars
Fizzy drink on my side of the Tasman. Interesting that some may distinguish between Soda and pop, though...I’m sure I’ve heard the term Soda-pop, too.
More importantly, I got the Snowy River.

Congratulations on getting the Snowy River, nice score for the price. Yeah, Fizzy drink works down here as well, forgot that one. Yeah, now you mention it I thought I'd also heard soft drinks called Soda-pop

I’m all over the place when it comes to the shapes... I’m everywhere from a hat staying in what I figure is it’s exact factory bash with just a slight wide center dent and soft subtle pinch. To tight funky creations that arrived from a previous owner that I don’t dare touch. To others just calls out to me to do my own thing on.

I had on a leather jacket and a decidedly stingy brim and the first comment I received...."Oh, wearing your Indy outfit today!"
I’ve come to terms with the reality that for most non hat people. All hats... even remotely fedora shaped... are Indy hats.

I was once wearing a white straw short brim and some guy calls out INDY!!

we love our hats and I feel rightfully so We gush over the details... but to most folks... “it’s just another hat”.... “Indiana Jones over there”.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto