Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Shoe

One Too Many
Lots of different tricks for that but most of us started in the kitchen. Find yourself a bowl or pot or flower pot, similar in shape to the hats crown and a bit smaller. Glass or steel, avoid plastic for the obvious reasons. Use what you find with your steam to work out the shape. If you iron it, be sure to place a cloth between felt and iron.

Gary, Find the YouTube video "Kevin steaming a hat". This will help give you some idea. As you'll see, the best way is to steam, stiffen, mold, try on, re-do.

Hope this helps. It helped me the first time I steamed an out of joint hat.

Thanks for the advice. I’ll be giving it a crack at some stage this week.

Silver-Wolf

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the advice. I’ll be giving it a crack at some stage this week.
Only thing I'll add is pretty obvious but be careful, steam can burn skin easily if you get too close and keep it away from any leather, it was once skin too.

Well maybe a couple of things lol.
If using just a pot or billy (what we used on small camp fires) you can fashion a aluminium foil hood/funnel to get a tighter stream of steam. A kettle would be tight enough anyway pretty much, if you part open the lid of a electric kettle it won't cut off soon as it boils, it will keep boiling until dry. More time for steaming but be careful to keep an eye on water level.

Have fun with it, it'll give memory to the crease/bash you like. Be careful of doing strong really tight creases steamed in as without a block they can leave shadow or ghost creases that can be difficult to remove.

Last edited:

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
Wow thanks a lot! This gives me a good jumping off point for more research! Any idea of value?

Used wool felt slouch hats aren't particularly valuable. Even fur felt examples don't fetch great sums unless they have specific historical or military signification & so sought after by collectors. There is always a healthy supply on eBay, both new & pre-owned. Looking at your example & particularly the cheap insignia & lack of manufacturer's name I would say it's a hat made for the souvenir/export market & since it uses the English size, it wasn't destined for America. If you're planning on selling & you're patient, you may double your money...........eventually. The puggaree is probably worth more than the hat.

The Shoe

One Too Many
Lots of different tricks for that but most of us started in the kitchen. Find yourself a bowl or pot or flower pot, similar in shape to the hats crown and a bit smaller. Glass or steel, avoid plastic for the obvious reasons. Use what you find with your steam to work out the shape. If you iron it, be sure to place a cloth between felt and iron.

Gary, Find the YouTube video "Kevin steaming a hat". This will help give you some idea. As you'll see, the best way is to steam, stiffen, mold, try on, re-do.

Hope this helps. It helped me the first time I steamed an out of joint hat.

Only thing I'll add is pretty obvious but be careful, steam can burn skin easily if you get too close and keep it away from any leather, it was once skin too.

Well maybe a couple of things lol.
If using just a pot or billy (what we used on small camp fires) you can fashion a aluminium foil hood/funnel to get a tighter stream of steam. A kettle would be tight enough anyway pretty much, if you part open the lid of a electric kettle it won't cut off soon as it boils, it will keep boiling until dry. More time for steaming but be careful to keep an eye on water level.

Have fun with it, it'll give memory to the crease/bash you like. Be careful of doing strong really tight creases steamed in as without a block they can leave shadow or ghost creases that can be difficult to remove.
Well, I decided to go ahead and do it today. Difficult to show in photos. Suffice to say the wife is happy with it. I tidied up the crease a bit while I was at it. It also had a slight pinch in the back to go with the main pinch in the front. She asked me to get rid of that, which turned out to be pretty easy. All in all, not perfect, but pretty successful. Thanks again for the advice.
A53BF7C0-3D2C-4EA3-8EE7-D85F8EFBA0CA.jpeg

0D9FC543-AE88-497A-8404-C9653CA88F7C.jpeg

Midwest Wanderer

New in Town
Good Evening! I’ve been perusing around the forums for a bit, and I am not much to chime in (clearly) but, finally decided to make an account. Anyways, I ordered a Premier Strat in Cornhill from Delmonico. This is my fourth felt hat (two for reenacting, a black Whippet, and now this)

I decided to opt for an Open Crown so I can play around with different shapes, and am leaning towards the classic teardrop. My question is, what would be the best method for at home steaming: Boiling Water/Steam from a Pot, or steam from an Iron? (No tea kettle here).

Also, obligatory picture of the newly attained hat.

Attachments

• 317B381F-9CBA-4EA9-84B8-0E0CC61B8112.jpeg
    317B381F-9CBA-4EA9-84B8-0E0CC61B8112.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 362

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Welcome to the Lounge. I use a small little garment steamer I picked up at Walmart. I think it was less than $20, holds about a pint or so of water and will run 10-15 minutes - plenty of time to work on most hats.

Good Evening! I’ve been perusing around the forums for a bit, and I am not much to chime in (clearly) but, finally decided to make an account. Anyways, I ordered a Premier Strat in Cornhill from Delmonico. This is my fourth felt hat (two for reenacting, a black Whippet, and now this)

I decided to opt for an Open Crown so I can play around with different shapes, and am leaning towards the classic teardrop. My question is, what would be the best method for at home steaming: Boiling Water/Steam from a Pot, or steam from an Iron? (No tea kettle here).

I think for setting the crease you could use an iron with the 'shot o' steam' feature. Spritz the hat with a spray bottle to dampen it then use the 'shot of steam'. The volume it will give off is not likely great so you will likely have to bash it in sections......depending on the stiffness of the felt. Felt is ever so forgiving so play around, have fun with it.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
A kettle on a stove is the next best thing after a hat steamer. The spout helps direct the steam. If you haven't got one, invest in one. You won't regret it :)

Midwest Wanderer

New in Town
Welcome to the Lounge. I use a small little garment steamer I picked up at Walmart. I think it was less than $20, holds about a pint or so of water and will run 10-15 minutes - plenty of time to work on most hats.

I might have to go make a trip tomorrow. I appreciate the tip!

I think for setting the crease you could use an iron with the 'shot o' steam' feature. Spritz the hat with a spray bottle to dampen it then use the 'shot of steam'. The volume it will give off is not likely great so you will likely have to bash it in sections......depending on the stiffness of the felt. Felt is ever so forgiving so play around, have fun with it.

Prit-Dang-Near do the same when pressing my uniforms actually, but of course, different materials. Thank you!

A kettle on a stove is the next best thing after a hat steamer. The spout helps direct the steam. If you haven't got one, invest in one. You won't regret it :)

But not huge tea person in general, unless I have a cold, then of course, I’ll make a Hot Toddy. Thank you for the advice!

Acquiring this Hat kinda gave me a bug. I’m already eyeballing Caribou and Mink color options for future purchases. Might as well have a hat to go with whatever I choose to wear. I’m finding Cornhill pretty universal for casual.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Be sure to save back a little money to invest in a vintage Silver Belly of some sort (3X, Open Road, and others). The mid--grey SB goes with most any style or color of clothing and you won't be disappointed in the felt, either!

I might have to go make a trip tomorrow. I appreciate the tip! 20200922_111721.jpg 20200914_101157.jpg

Prit-Dang-Near do the same when pressing my uniforms actually, but of course, different materials. Thank you!

But not huge tea person in general, unless I have a cold, then of course, I’ll make a Hot Toddy. Thank you for the advice!

Acquiring this Hat kinda gave me a bug. I’m already eyeballing Caribou and Mink color options for future purchases. Might as well have a hat to go with whatever I choose to wear. I’m finding Cornhill pretty universal for casual.

I boil a pot and then cock the lid just slightly to aim the steam. Not the best but it has worked for me when I needed it. I should get a kettle.

I was almost ready to grab a cheap hand steamer. But then all the Bad reviews On amazon scared me off

welcome to the lounge

6258F3A7-2BBE-42F5-B160-461D2F731749.gif
77C6F2F3-2F12-4F4A-B2FE-F4C8CF5971A7.gif

welcome to the lounge!

Midwest Wanderer

New in Town
I boil a pot and then cock the lid just slightly to aim the steam. Not the best but it has worked for me when I needed it. I should get a kettle.

I was almost ready to grab a cheap hand steamer. But then all the Bad reviews On amazon scared me off

welcome to the lounge

View attachment 274451 View attachment 274450

welcome to the lounge!

Thanks! I appreciate it! I went with the pot and lid at first, but wasnt producing enough steam in my opinion. Went with the Iron and water. I think it turned out pretty good for a first time bash.

D464958D-208E-45AF-94AF-D82F90DB6A8C.jpeg

Attachments

• F0A0EEDB-2AA4-4B0A-BA76-05D68518A5E3.jpeg
    F0A0EEDB-2AA4-4B0A-BA76-05D68518A5E3.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 544
  • 691D0A6A-CE3B-415A-A7A1-212DBFAE39CC.jpeg
    691D0A6A-CE3B-415A-A7A1-212DBFAE39CC.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 543

Silver-Wolf

One of the Regulars
Was thinking of springing for one of those jiffy 4000s. It might just rock my world!
I just got one of the smaller J-1 Hat steamers today and I've been playing with it sweating myself stupid, it's a bunch of fun though. Leaves you a hot steaming mess rofl, it really works quite well.

Last edited:

Matt_SFL

Familiar Face
Does anyone know this type of fedora and where I can buy the exact one or know of any hats that look like this ?
A2ED7192-9DCE-485E-A266-69049E089EDB.jpeg

It looks to be a pretty standard fedora. 2 1/4" to maybe 2 1/2" brim. A fairly wide ribbon...2" perhaps. What sets it apart is just the wearer has turned the front of the brim down a bit more than usual and made it slightly off centre as well...or it may even be turned down all the way around. That can be replicated with any hat with hand manipulation and maybe a touch of steam. Check out the many on-line hat dealers.....Delmonico, JJHats, check the Stetson website. Check Ebay and you might find a vintage one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner