Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
The whole study of diet/nutrition is so difficult as conducting double blind studies is near impossible as we are each unique in how our systems metabolize nutrients. Other than the big 5 that are life style affected cancers are still genetically caused. The luck of our genetic make up determines a big chunk of health and longevity. My mother, who lived to 95, was a life long proponent of "everything in moderation". I follow her example and hope like hell I have her genetic profile. I think we do more harm by having "food fear" or food shibboleths than by living our lives, enjoying our food and being grateful for our abundance. Hell, I even enjoy a Big Mac & fries once in a while. My wife and I are Orthodox Christian and follow the fasting regimen. Lent is fully vegan for 47 days. Friends ask me .....by being fully vegan did you notice a big difference? Didn't you feel so much better? My answer was no, felt great before, felt great during, felt great after.

"Everything in moderation." Including moderation. :D

Frankly, I'm a big believer in dietary diversity. My wife and I enjoy a variety of foods on a regular basis. I never feel guilty about what I eat because I know that, overall, I'm giving my body good, balanced nutrition. So bring on the cheeseburgers, tomorrow it's fresh grilled salmon. I have known people who only eat from a limited menu. A diet of Slim Jims and Yoohoo can only be sustained for so long!

Any of you all ever work a derailment? Askin’ for a friend.

Let's try to get back on track.

1479718696-0.jpg

Any of you all ever work a derailment? Askin’ for a friend.

Once, at the 2nd St SW crossing. Five or six boxcars all twisted with the doors broken open on two carrying nothing but cases of high end Bourbon. Very near the rail yard and the hobo/wino jungle. CSX suffered quite a loss that day. Some of the winos nearly OD’d never being exposed to the good stuff before.

Last edited:

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
I moderate as I can but this "growing old" thing is hell on my digestion and my selection of foods. Things that never bothered me for 50+ years (milk, black pepper in mashed potatoes or spaghetti sauce, greasy ribs, rice, jalapeños - even the mild ones) just tear me to pieces these days.

"Everything in moderation." Including moderation. :D

Frankly, I'm a big believer in dietary diversity. My wife and I enjoy a variety of foods on a regular basis. I never feel guilty about what I eat because I know that, overall, I'm giving my body good, balanced nutrition. So bring on the cheeseburgers, tomorrow it's fresh grilled salmon. I have known people who only eat from a limited menu. A diet of Slim Jims and Yoohoo can only be sustained for so long!

...My wife and I are Orthodox Christian and follow the fasting regimen. Lent is fully vegan for 47 days. Friends ask me .....by being fully vegan did you notice a big difference? Didn't you feel so much better? My answer was no, felt great before, felt great during, felt great after.
I'll eat vegetarian every once in a while when the mood strikes, but I've learned I start to feel unwell if I haven't eaten beef for a while; when that happens, a steak or two puts me right back on track. So I'm a little concerned when I hear the so-called experts saying everything we eat will eventually be plant-based rather than animal-based, 'cause I'm pretty sure I'm an obligate carnivore.

I'll eat vegetarian every once in a while when the mood strikes, but I've learned I start to feel unwell if I haven't eaten beef for a while; when that happens, a steak or two puts me right back on track. So I'm a little concerned when I hear the so-called experts saying everything we eat will eventually be plant-based rather than animal-based, 'cause I'm pretty sure I'm an obligate carnivore.
Well, there will be 3 of us left at least...you, me and my wife

When my girls tried to go meatless when they were learning to cook I would tell them that it can’t be dinner if something didn’t die. :)

Soooo... I saw this eBay hat with about the most extensive moth/insect damage I’ve seen.

First question... do we think this is entirely moth larva damage... or is there likely other insects at work here? The size tag looks like a roach attack

Second anyone know a good thread like... show us your most damaged/moth ridden hats?

D8378EEF-91E8-478E-A884-4B351DDFA063.jpg
B9D50C74-58DE-4010-A3A6-66E812795924.jpg
29BA601F-A4B0-40FC-B33B-409EBB949CB6.jpg
AE83BA65-D5F8-4365-9A67-AC1333AE9A4E.jpg

Soooo... I saw this eBay hat with about the most extensive moth/insect damage I’ve seen.

First question... do we think this is entirely moth larva damage... or is there likely other insects at work here? The size tag looks like a roach attack

Second anyone know a good thread like... show us your most damaged/moth ridden hats?

View attachment 313000 View attachment 313001 View attachment 313002 View attachment 313003

Don't know about the tag, but the felt has really bad moth damage, and likely moth damage only. Moths lay their eggs in places like behind the ribbon and at the crown/brim break as those are the best locations for them. You can see the progression of the damage on the underside in the pitting as it progresses to fully separate the felt. This is just a very bad infestation.

Bob's right. Think of it a "natural art," utilizing the services of God's little critters. Sign your name to it and sell it for Big Bucks (TM).

Must be some tasty felt! Add some whip-stitching to pull that together (as well as some other "embroidery") and sell it for big bucks!

Don't know about the tag, but the felt has really bad moth damage, and likely moth damage only. Moths lay their eggs in places like behind the ribbon and at the crown/brim break as those are the best locations for them. You can see the progression of the damage on the underside in the pitting as it progresses to fully separate the felt. This is just a very bad infestation.

Bob's right. Think of it a "natural art," utilizing the services of God's little critters. Sign your name to it and sell it for Big Bucks (TM).

D32C842B-FA7F-462A-92BB-C7B96021C7FC.gif

Gives me another thought. We’ve all found hats with moth divots... but has anyone here caught the moth larvae in the act? Or come upon the moth casings attached to their hats?

Also can you actually see moth eggs on the felt or are they too small?

dkstott

Practically Family
I can remove a hat liner and get it clean with warm water and woolite. But getting the hat liner back into the hat and shaped right seems to elude me.

Any suggestions??

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
I am in no way good with my hands like you, and @belfastboy etc. But maybe you should not think of sewing it back in, but let it be loose under the sweat like some of the modern hat makers or refurbishers do.

I can remove a hat liner and get it clean with warm water and woolite. But getting the hat liner back into the hat and shaped right seems to elude me.

Any suggestions??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk