Ask a question, get an answer

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Lefty, Sep 2, 2009.

1. TheGuitarFairy

TheGuitarFairy A-List Customer

I definitely get 1 and even though I don't know Shapiro's, having grown up on Lawn-Guy-Land I GET deli's but this is interesting ... IF hat was your size, you think $125 too dear? I'd prefer a lighter color but I think these particular Resistol's: it's age, finish, crown shape/height and brim width, I think they're kinda' tops from this maker, no?

Blare likes this.
  2. Louis Mountbatten

Louis Mountbatten One of the Regulars

I don't think $125 is unreasonable, myself.

TheGuitarFairy and Blare like this.

3. If only it was 5 or 6 sizes larger...I find myself saying that a lot.

I know that the serious buyers blessed with small hat sizes are spoiled for choice. I’ve all but stopped sending @steur links to hats as he seems to be able to find all the hats he wants for incredible bargains. I don’t blink at paying $250+ vintage fedora, but the size 7 guys buy them by the dozen at that price.

4. TheGuitarFairy

I love $50 vintage hats. Any size, all day long! If I can turn em' around and make a little hat-buying-money and learn something along the way, I'm grateful. Meanwhile I'm <really> trying to slow down and be more particular about what I'll bring home for myself. Thanks to The Board (and Dave's ads) I've come to appreciate Resistol and it's roots. Personally I think their early dress hats are super nice. I know I've posted this before but dang this is a hat to be reckoned with (same model as in CL ad I linked above). Sold for almost $350 if memory serves.
    s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
  5. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

Yes, old Resistol hats are top-notch, and I'll stack them up to most anybody's of the era. It's likely worth $125...to someone, but not me.

First, I'm a cheap b*****d.

Second, I have the luxury to be picky because of my "stable," which includes several Resistols of similar era and quality. Several of our Members will drop $$ on a hat that I wouldn't because I just don't play in that market; I bow out of eBay auctions much lower than they would. This is a personal decision for me to not overspend on my hobby; plus, I like the rush of getting the deal as well as getting the hat. I've rarely paid much over $120 for a vintage hat and I'll let my results speak for themself. Now, if I really really want it, then Katie bar the door!

Third, my concept of the market of Craigslist is different from my concept of the market of, say eBay, where I perceive greater competition. I've been known to walk away from a hat at an antique market where the seller is asking a price I'd pay on eBay bidding against competition (shrug).

So that's part of my philosophy for hat buying and collecting. YMMV

6. Blare

Blare I'll Lock Up

Thrill of the hunt ;)

7. AbbaDatDeHat

AbbaDatDeHat I'll Lock Up

Lol
    1. Concur
    2. Concur
    3. Oh hell yes concur...and a Pasquale’s Stromboli.
    About the only thing i miss from Naptown besides my family.
    B

Blare, TheGuitarFairy and Frunobulax like this.
  8. Louis Mountbatten

"....but the size 7 guys buy them by the dozen at that price."

Well, that is overstating just a bit. LOL
    I am a size 7 to 7-1/8 and I find that size in vintage ranges from $150 to $200 on average. Some go for more if they are a rare model, of course. Whippets can get stupidly up to $300 and sometimes more, of course. Whippet mania, natch. Granted I have seen super-duper deals under $100 and you'll occasionally get those who throw up a buy-it-now for $50.

But, buying a dozen vintage size sevens for $100... not so much :)

jlee562, Steve1857, Blare and 3 others like this.
  9. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

"It's not the kill, it's the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple.

"But the kill is deeply satisfying" - Fruno

Tell me more about Pasquale's.

10. Yes, I was speaking with hyperbole for emphasis, but I’ve seen folks pass on size 7 hats for $50 that I would have gladly paid $350 for if in my size. More often, I can’t find the better vintage hats in my size no matter what I’m willing to pay. I try to compensate by looking harder and more frequently than most and it’s slowly paid off. Although, the lack of vintage hats has spurred me to commission some custom hats and that’s mostly been a great experience.

Steve1857 and Blare like this.
  11. Blare

Blare I'll Lock Up

Definitely not so much... but ONCE..... almost ;)

Steve1857 likes this.
  12. AbbaDatDeHat

AbbaDatDeHat I'll Lock Up

Well the gist of it is the Strombolis were to die for. If you could eat two you were in need of resuscitation. Many an evening we 3-11 shifters at the Med Center feasted on Pasquale’s and Shapiros and i haven’t thought of those fond memories in years.
    Traded all that for peperroni rolls around here.
    B

Steve1857, Blare and Frunobulax like this.
  13. Louis Mountbatten

I, too, have noticed that the big hats have really dried up. But, I have also not seen a whole lot of hats in my size recently, either. It has been a long time since I've seen a rare model of anything even in a small size. Not even in 6-7/8! Could it be that we collectors have finally bought out the world's left over selection of vintage hats???? Have we become our own worst enemy!? Well, I don't know, but we for sure are in a major dry spell.

14. TheGuitarFairy

I understand where you're coming from and am looking forward to doing more "shopping at home" myself. All bets are off when it comes to those early Stetsons though!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
    Steve1857 and Blare like this.
  15. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

Thanks, next time I get over to Indy I'll try to grab one. The last time we were over in Indy antiquing, we also discovered a bakery south of town called Long's. Hoo, mama.

OK, we now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

16. Rmccamey

Rmccamey My Mail is Forwarded Here

Great liner.

TheGuitarFairy likes this.
  17. Craig4891

Craig4891 New in Town

Hi All,

New member and have joined in the hope there are some knowledgeable kind people that can help me find some information on an old hat I got from a vintage market some years back.

I'm unable to trace the makers crest/mark. Made in England and although the lining is washed out I can make out London.

Also assuming the handwritten name in the band is the original owner. Looks like Mr. Rodney Lorick.

Hopefully my pictures have uploaded so you can take a look. Any help is very much appreciated.

Attached Files:

Blare, Rmccamey and Steve1857 like this.
  18. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

I'm having trouble deciphering the interlocking letters in the logo. Do you have a closer shot?

Blare and deadlyhandsome like this.
  19. Steve1857

Steve1857 I'll Lock Up

Hi Craig and welcome to the FL.

Interesting looking hat. Shame about the liner logo being rubbed away.

Apart from the original owners name, cool name btw, are there any other labels under the leather sweat band?

As Jim @Frunobulax says, it's impossible to decipher the lettering on the sweat itself. Please send more in focus photos.

Blare, deadlyhandsome and Frunobulax like this.

20. I don’t see any letters under the logo on the sweatband. Unless someone recognizes the logo or there are more tags under the sweatband then a mystery it will remain.

C09C3CA4-BC17-4DB9-88B9-7299DB273749.jpeg 5A1EB471-2FBD-467B-9EC9-34E966390245.jpeg