Ask a question, get an answer

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Lefty, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Blare

Blare I'll Lock Up

Welcome Craig. Nice looking hat and a very unique looking logo.

2. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

Not under. To me the squiggly device on the right looks like interlocking letters. Maybe an R and a J? Maybe an I in there?

Craig4891 and deadlyhandsome like this.

3. I got dizzy trying to decipher that. I’m pretty sure it’s a brass horn of some sort. :)

Craig4891 likes this.
  4. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

I got it! It says, "Don't forget to drink your Ovaltine."

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
    Robieman, Blare, Zombie_61 and 2 others like this.
  5. Blare

Blare I'll Lock Up

[​IMG]

Zombie_61 and Robieman like this.
  6. Craig4891

Craig4891 New in Town

Thanks so much for your input guys.

I was also trying to work out the interlocking lettering. I have added a couple of close up pics that are hopefully better focussed. It is not easy, I can see a H, R, and J possibly. I have used these to try and tie down a google search with the hope of pulling up the same logo but have had no luck.

There are no other stamps or writing I can find under the band apart from a hand written 7 for the size

Does anyone know what you call the dragon thing, does that have a name. Such as the common 'Lion Rampant' you see so often which I believe has old Scottish royal connection.

Also the Crown underneath gave me the thought that it has a Royal connection. I found a current list of the many hat makers to the Royal Family. I got excited when I saw Herbert Johnson due to the initials, but this did not seem to lead anywhere back to that logo.

It seems that is it not a brand that held great notoriety as I think I would found something by now. I am happy it is just a very nice looking hat that has lasted so long in this condition. Very unfortunate that I am unable to wear it with it being a size 7, I would be a 7 3/8. Although the gf looks great in it so not a complete loss.

Attached Files:

7. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

Nothing wrong with a mystery hat. I think that maybe is supposed to be a Griffin.

Blare likes this.
  8. Steve1857

Steve1857 I'll Lock Up

I agree with Jim, nothing wrong with a mystery hat. Yours looks very nice indeed. Shame there is no label under the sweat.

I don't believe the logo to be a true heraldic shield of any kind. For one thing, the crown would be above the animal. Though rampant, it's not particularly clear what beast it is. It could be a dragon, a griffin, or indeed a lion. Whichever one it's meant to be, it's not particularly well executed.

I would guess that it was someone's attempt at creating a fancy looking logo. The hat deserves better.

Blare and Frunobulax like this.
  9. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

It could be a grue.

Agreed, the hat looks nicer than the logo.

Blare likes this.
  10. Mighty44

Mighty44 New in Town

Hello All-

Not trying to change the subject here, but not sure if this is the right way to post here.

I just bought an old Stetson that was cheap but described as dirty and needing an airing. I found a great thread here about cleaning liners with Woolite, which I'm planning to do since the thing is yellow. I also found great info about getting smells out by storing in a plastic bag with newspaper -- also planning to do this.

My question is about cleaning the felt. In the photo it looks very dusty, but not necessarily stained -- but hard to say because it's dark grey and it's hard to read photos. I've got some Bickmore hat cleaning sponges. If I just use these to scrape away the top layer of the felt, could that get me most of the way there? Ideally I would do the naptha bath, but since I live in NYC that would be a challenge. Is there any deeper cleaning I can do without taking the hat apart and without damaging the ribbon or sweatband? I don't have a block and flange to reshape the hat after soaking so it would have to be relatively superficial. Any advice appreciated.

Thanks!

David

Blare, Snowman and Steve1857 like this.
  11. keryn

keryn New in Town

Hello Friends!

I don’t think I am posting in the correct feed...but I am hoping someone can help me to figure out what the name of this sweatband stitching is? I have attached a photo. Most of my very old antique hats have this type of detail and I have started to apply it to mine however I can only find a horizontal tool vs. this seems to be a vertical stamping tool of some kind.

So basically hoping to find out the name of this technique/detail as well as find a tool that allows me to sew consistently!

Thank you so very much,

Keryn

Attached Files:

Blare likes this.
  12. Steve1857

Steve1857 I'll Lock Up

Welcome to the FL, David.

Post photos of your hat. Lots of folks here can help with advice once they've seen what's necessary.

Blare likes this.
  13. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

Before you do anything involving detergents or naphtha, get yourself a good hat brush. It will do wonders. The next step is steam. A teakettle or hand-held fabric steamer is good for starters. Brush, steam, brush, steam. Repeat.

You can open the crown with a small rounded bowl; some folks use a soup ladle. You don't need a block.

Do not touch the sweatband with steam.

Rmccamey, belfastboy, Snowman and 2 others like this.
  14. Snowman

Snowman One of the Regulars

My cleaning arsenal consists of a hat brush, a tea kettle, a hat sponge, a clean cloth, and Woolite. I rarely have to go past the brush and some steam; it gets a surprising amount of dust and buildup off (if you have a wife, you may want to do the brush step outside...). A very small amount of Woolite in cold water, applied with a cloth, has been effective for most spots I have encountered, and the sponge can help with this if necessary.

Blare and Mighty44 like this.
  15. Mighty44

Mighty44 New in Town

Thank you all for the info—sounds like I have a plan! I don’t have the hat yet but will attempt to post before and after. Frunobulax — I’ve got to ask the stupid question: why no steam on the sweatband? Cheers

Blare likes this.
  16. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

It pretty much has the same effect on sweat bands as the Ark of the Covenant does on evil Nazis

Blare, Rmccamey, belfastboy and 2 others like this.
  17. Jim speaks the truth @Mighty44 Although, it is a fast and effective way to confirm if there is any dry rot in the leather.

0A4D65AF-54AE-4CCD-A3BB-6F13FB48FA1E.jpeg

This may look like bacon but in fact it’s sections of sweatbands that have been exposed to steam. And it’s high is cholesterol, sodium, and phosphates. ;)

Snowman, Robieman, Blare and 3 others like this.
  18. Mighty44

Mighty44 New in Town

Does that mean that a healthy sweat band can take the steam? I’m especially interested because I anticipate needing to stretch this hat a bit to fit. Any advice there? Lexol before stretching?

Blare and deadlyhandsome like this.

19. If the sweatband is in good condition it can take moisture, but the heat associated with steam isn’t good for it. You don’t want the protein in the leather to denature. Any moisture from any source, including perspiration, can shrivel a dry rotted sweatband. The problem is some sweatbands with dry rot don’t show signs of problems until they shrivel and/or delaminate when exposed to steam or other moisture.

I’ve had mostly bad experiences with stretching hats. If it just needs a bump of a fraction of a size that’s one thing, but otherwise I don’t endorse stretching hats to a larger size. Some people, like Randall, have had amazing success stretching hats, but that’s not my talent.

Blare, Zombie_61 and belfastboy like this.
  20. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

I concur.....would be great to report that I am adept at stretching hats but it would be a lie. No real success unless it is just to nudge it a few millimetres.