Ask a question, get an answer

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Lefty, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

If you did try your hand at stretching, steam the outside of the hat at the base of the crown, not the inside.

I've had some luck stretching, but I use a crown block to achieve the proper oval. I leave it on the block for a few days and steam the crown base a few times a day to get some results. I wouldn't try to go over a size and it's a crap shoot sometimes whether or not you pop some stitches.

2. Mighty44

Mighty44 New in Town

Thanks all—I will update you soon.

Blare likes this.
  3. Blare

Blare I'll Lock Up

Welcome to the lounge David. I think you found just the right place to post your question. (As you’ve seen from the responses). The advice from the other gentleman is all excellent. The only thing I can add... or reiterate really is the value of brushing. Especially to get out old dirt and dust. Sometimes it is amazing what a good brushing can do. As Snow said it can sometimes release clouds of dust! I would stress though... when a hat is dirty or dusty... make sure you start with the heavy brushing FIRST before involving anything with water or steam. Get as much out as you can before getting it wet. As water and dirt tends to turn to mud or crud and can stain or at least make the process harder.

Good luck.. have fun... and see you around the lounge.

Rmccamey, Snowman, Frunobulax and 3 others like this.
  4. bobm

bobm A-List Customer

Here's a question for you folks. I just bought this one from Filson it's their collaboration with Stetson (Gun Club).
    I'm thinking the brim is just a bit too wide for me to carry off comfortably. Probably will return it, but wanted to see what the better attuned have to say. Somehow, I'm kinda feeling it's a bit off. Too "Outback?"
    Forget the poor and quick pictures. Thoughts?
    thumbnail_IMG_7115.jpg thumbnail_IMG_7111.jpg

5. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

It looks great. In terms of the appropriateness of the style it depends on the purpose to which it is put. Wide brim gives you lots of sun protection and looks good on you.

bobm, Zombie_61 and Blare like this.
  6. Snowman

Snowman One of the Regulars

I think it looks good on you. I’ve learned that you have to feel comfortable in a hat to really like it though.

bobm, Zombie_61 and Blare like this.
  7. Rmccamey

Rmccamey My Mail is Forwarded Here

Looks good to me. You can have the brim trimmed for not a lot of money although brim binding would increase the cost some.

bobm and Blare like this.
  8. Blare

Blare I'll Lock Up

Does look quite nice on you.

bobm likes this.
  9. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

There is a common arc to hat wearers becoming comfortable with wider brims/higher crowns. If you are a "new to hats" guy then the wider brim likely seems soooo much wider in your perspective than it looks to us out here. A weird kind of body dysmorphia. ....only with hats! If you like the hat and willing to risk it....I suggest placing your concerns on hold, wear the hat and I am betting you will grow into the hat and after a bit the brim will not seem quite so wide.

bobm, Bill Hughes, Blare and 2 others like this.
  10. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

I have to agree with those who have said the brim width looks good on you, but also have to agree that you have to like the hat or you probably won't wear it. I personally like the "Outback" style, so "too Outback" doesn't exist in my mind.

bobm, Blare and deadlyhandsome like this.
  11. Rmccamey

Anyone have a source for good, new hat boxes (or regular cardboard boxes that make good hat boxes) in the $5 range? Something akin to the USPS Priority mail boxes many of us use to ship hats. I picked up a few collapsible boxes from the Container Store a while back and they are just too thin and flimsy to stack more than 3 or 4 high and they don't stay in position very well either.

Blare likes this.

12. The circular Hobby Lobby boxes come in several sizes and work well, but they are about $10 a piece. They are good quality with tight fitting lids and structurally strong enough to stack seven or more high. The colors are a bit...festive, but they function well.

hatsRme, Rmccamey, Blare and 2 others like this.
  13. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

I buy square/rectangular ones from Michael's craft stores. They are about $15 but there are always sales 2 for 1 or 40--50% off coupons on line. The boxes are hefty, come with integral lid and velcro closures. Stack em 10 high if necessary. I make cone shaped holders for my hats out of poster board and glue them to the bottom of the box

hatsRme, Rmccamey, Blare and 3 others like this.
  14. Rmccamey

I use the Hobby Lobby boxes for my best hats but they are big and heavy. I'm looking for more of a sturdy midrange box. I'll check on boxes at Michael's. The one's I found at the Container Store are just too flimsy. They would be better if the were not collapsible as that seems to weaken the sides too much to stack very high. Thanks gents.

15. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

The ones I buy are from ULine but they come in 25's (about $4 each) and they are a bit flimsy and the folding aspect is annoying. For shipping I reinforce the sides with construction foam core and that gives them more firmness and stops them from collapsing in on themselves. Far from perfect but workable.

Zombie_61, Blare and Rmccamey like this.
  16. Randy, I don't know how close you live to the Outlet store or if you ever get there. They will sell new Stetson boxes, $4.00 for the fedora size boxes, $6.00 for the larger Western boxes was what I paid last time I bought any at St. Joe. They are new boxes already made up so depending on how many you want, drive a suitable size vehicle.

17. Rmccamey

Thanks Jack. I have bought boxes at the Garland store and that is a good deal on solid boxes. I just don't get to the east side of Dallas very often but it may be time for a road trip!

18. bobm

bobm A-List Customer

It would be for sun protection, simple street ware and a nice style.

19. bobm

bobm A-List Customer

Thank you. I have been wearing fedoras on and off - mostly off for over 25 years and agree 100% with you on that.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
  20. bobm

bobm A-List Customer

Yep, I actually did that a few years ago with a similar hat in silverbelly and when I recently tried it on, I think I errored on the trimming and had them take off a wee bit too much...

Rmccamey likes this.