Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CarynLea

New in Town
Most, if not all , the hatters here in the Lounge use fur felt and buy it already felted so if you don't get a ready answer to your problem it is because we (I) don't know as we have little to no experience with felting...I assume wool. This might be an ignorant question but have you tried, after blocking the crown, pinning the brim to a flat board all round the 360 degrees under tension. Might that help? You may need to cut a hole in a ply board the size of your block circumference to station it while the brim is under the tension.
I have not tried that and it sounds like a great idea! I'll give it a try, and I thank you for your response! Yes, I felt with wool, alpaca, and rabbit fur. Thanks again!

CarynLea

New in Town
Once in a while I will get what I call ripples or creases in parts of the brim. They are not deep and not numerous but I just use water on the affected area, soaking it but not the entire brim just the crease. Give it a good shot of steam and then a final pressing with my 'poor mans' brim press.....a 20 lb slab of metal with a handle in the shape of an iron. I imagine it is an antique iron that was heated on the stove. It was sold on Ebay as a 'door stop'. I heat it on a hot plate for about 20 minutes using a wet press cloth between the iron and the fur felt. It works. I have to be cautious to feather the wrinkled area as the heavy weight of the iron and my pressing can create new voids outboard the original wrinkle. But with a bit of work and some finesse it takes the wrinkle out.
A great possible solution! Thank you! Now I have two new solutions to try! You are all the best! I'll be working on my profile soon... I live in Reno NV and have now felted an official 38 hats!

A great possible solution! Thank you! Now I have two new solutions to try! You are all the best! I'll be working on my profile soon... I live in Reno NV and have now felted an official 38 hats!

Are you actually taking loose fur fibers and felting them?

There are few commercial felt companies anymore as demand is relatively low and the equipment is very expensive.

I have also a classic Black & Decker steam iron....a good iron but it does not put out much steam and has no "burst of steam" feature. I have a new B&D iron, a cheapy but it has the burst of steam and produces a great deal of steam and you really need copious amounts of steam to be effective...at least with rabbit felt.

I have also a classic Black & Decker steam iron....a good iron but it does not put out much steam and has no "burst of steam" feature. I have a new B&D iron, a cheapy but it has the burst of steam and produces a great deal of steam and you really need copious amounts of steam to be effective...at least with rabbit felt.
A millinery supply company in the UK offers from time to time rabbit felt capeline 'seconds' for a great price...$10-15. The flaws are minor, pretty sure they are Tonak made felts. They also offer fur felt cones too for slightly less. They will have more this autumn and well worth the money if you want to try working on a commercial grade rabbit felt. I use them for practice or to try out some new idea on style. Much easier to take screwing up a $10 felt rather than a $65 one. The Trimming Company.

WonkyBloke

One of the Regulars
I'll ask this here, as I can't see a better place to do so...

How do I turn all the emails off? I've been through the preferences, and alert preferences, and unchecked everything that says email, yet I'm still getting an email for every alert that rings the bell at the top of the page. Can I still keep the alerts on the site, without being swamped with email?

I'll ask this here, as I can't see a better place to do so...

How do I turn all the emails off? I've been through the preferences, and alert preferences, and unchecked everything that says email, yet I'm still getting an email for every alert that rings the bell at the top of the page. Can I still keep the alerts on the site, without being swamped with email?
I believe that when you click the bell to follow each thread it gives you an option to follow with or without email alert. You would have to go through each thread you followed and reset. I’m not sure how you would do it site wide though.

WonkyBloke

One of the Regulars
I believe that when you click the bell to follow each thread it gives you an option to follow with or without email alert. You would have to go through each thread you followed and reset. I’m not sure how you would do it site wide though.

Thanks Blare, although I've never specifically requested a notification of any thread. It's the automatically opted in alerts of updates to threads I've posted in, or replies to my posts. Great to have those alerts when logged in, but I don't need an email every time. The only way I can see is to turn off all alerts altogether, which would be a shame to do, and I might miss replies etc.

Thanks Blare, although I've never specifically requested a notification of any thread. It's the automatically opted in alerts of updates to threads I've posted in, or replies to my posts. Great to have those alerts when logged in, but I don't need an email every time. The only way I can see is to turn off all alerts altogether, which would be a shame to do, and I might miss replies etc.

Keep playing with the settings. I get alerts for replies to my posts on r when I’m mentioned in a post, but I have it set up where the only email alert I get is when someone sends me a PM.

Under my profile, I have these options:

Attachments

• 043A3084-CA3E-4976-93C3-996A1A811F2D.jpeg
    043A3084-CA3E-4976-93C3-996A1A811F2D.jpeg
    397.6 KB · Views: 547
Hi not sure if this is where to post this; wondering if anyone has suggestions on how to get feather to "lay down" better against the hat. I know the whole feather thing whether or not to use one is always in disagreement; sometimes I do sometimes I don't. But when I do, I like it to lay down and hate when it sticks out I just don't like that look on my hats.
I want to get them to lay against the hat any suggestions? Thanks

Either a shorter feather or a less tapered crown would help, I guess. Not certain what else, unless you just try different feathers and choose one that suits you better.

CarynLea

New in Town
Either a shorter feather or a less tapered crown would help, I guess. Not certain what else, unless you just try different feathers and choose one that suits you better.
I simply curl my feathers to fit as snugly on my hats as I want them to. I use my hair curling iron. It takes a little practice, but you can shape the feathers into all kinds of shapes!

Snowman

Practically Family
Yup. They're the settings that I unchecked, but the emails keep flowing :confused:

I'll keep trying...
I’ve had to uncheck the “email response” box on individual threads. I think when you post in a thread it automatically signs you up to watch that thread with email alerts unless you uncheck the box.

WonkyBloke

One of the Regulars
I’ve had to uncheck the “email response” box on individual threads. I think when you post in a thread it automatically signs you up to watch that thread with email alerts unless you uncheck the box.

Hmmm. I'm not seeing that on my phone, but will look for it next time I fire up the laptop. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner