Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TheGuitarFairy

Practically Family
More a statement than a Q: I've never seen such a bash on a homburg and I really dig it!
If i'm understanding things correctly, bow ends up on the right side too. Beautiful lid right here.
s-l1600 (2).jpg

More a statement than a Q: I've never seen such a bash on a homburg and I really dig it!
If i'm understanding things correctly, bow ends up on the right side too. Beautiful lid right here.
View attachment 336981

It may have been worn that way, but you can see the brim binding seam on the RHS of the photo, so the true front puts the bow on the left.

View attachment 336981

I don’t know that it is a homburg. The hat is a vintage Stetson Stetsonian so I wonder if it was a fedora that acquired a brim curl at some point. Was there a homburg version of the Stetsonian?

I pretty much think of homburgs as semi-formal dress hats. There isn’t a lot of personalization in formal wear so the standard gutter crown is what I prefer on a dress homburg. If it’s being worn less formally than the addition of side dents can look good to me, but otherwise I don’t see the homburg as a blank canvas like the fedora or the western. Just me.

I don’t know that it is a homburg. The hat is a vintage Stetson Stetsonian so I wonder if it was a fedora that acquired a brim curl at some point. Was there a homburg version of the Stetsonian?

I pretty much think of homburgs as semi-formal dress hats. There isn’t a lot of personalization in formal wear so the standard gutter crown is what I prefer on a dress homburg. If it’s being worn less formally than the addition of side dents can look good to me, but otherwise I don’t see the homburg as a blank canvas like the fedora or the western. Just me.

Stetsonians have come in different flavors, including bowlers. The later ones are more like what we're used to. A Homburg wouldn't surprise me.

Yes, I start with wool roving, or alpaca, or rabbit fur (not the pelt). As soon as I get my profile done I'll share a few of them! It's quite a process!
My wife is a fabric artist that has settled in a niche of working withwool fleeces, processing, spinning and knitting. I do the dyeing for her and in the beginning I certainly, inadvertently, have had the experience of mishandling the wool and beginning the felting processing!

TheGuitarFairy

Practically Family

I never did before this hat either but I do now ; )
Too bad these old Stetsons are so far and few between, man that ribbon!

CarynLea

New in Town
My wife is a fabric artist that has settled in a niche of working withwool fleeces, processing, spinning and knitting. I do the dyeing for her and in the beginning I certainly, inadvertently, have had the experience of mishandling the wool and beginning the felting processing!

How wonderful!! Then you're in a great position to use both of your artistry to create from scratch with the wool! Here is one of my hats, just to show what I do!
Caryn

Attachments

• Ebony and Ivory (i).jpg
    Ebony and Ivory (i).jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 314
  • Ebony and Ivory (b).jpg
    Ebony and Ivory (b).jpg
    2 MB · Views: 294
  • Ebony and Ivory (a).jpg
    Ebony and Ivory (a).jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 319

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Has anyone of you guys a good source for tiny hat buckles for my western hats? Needs to ship to Europe!
<3
Interesting. Are you making a hat band? I have bought a child’s belt for a hat before. Got it at winners/marshals pretty cheap. You can probably go for a send hand store as well.
Johnny

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
6454CFE3-CB55-4420-B64D-EB40D16B6D92.jpeg
28585117-8036-4EED-9191-B4D5CD28417D.jpeg
Greetings All:
Was thinking i ought to try and fix this weak spot, nearly worn through on this old No.1 before it tears through. I thought i’d ask advice on a patch inside, or how to fix it before i tried on my own.
Anybody have any secrets to share? I’m not sending it out for a fix.
Thanks
Bowen

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Ok...no responses. I’m NEVER impatient but i’m told i do have a shelf life.
So...noting the best way to get responses to anything here on the lounge is to state a maxim or precept such as “Stetson hats are better than Borsalino” or the ultimate, “Nick Fouquet hats are the pinnacle in hats”. Ouch!!
In that light...i’m thinking a hot glue gun outta work. If that doesn’t work maybe a big MAGA patch over it.
I’ll entertain visceral, humorous et.al responses accordingly.

Have a happy safe Memorial Day weekend fellow Americans and much of the free world and never forget those that gave all so that we can have so much.
B

So...noting the best way to get responses to anything here on the lounge is to state a maxim or precept such as “Stetson hats are better than Borsalino” or the ultimate, “Nick Fouquet hats are the pinnacle in hats”. Ouch!!
In that light...i’m thinking a hot glue gun outta work. If that doesn’t work maybe a big MAGA patch over it.

Have a happy safe Memorial Day weekend fellow Americans and much of the free world and never forget those that gave all so that we can have so much.
B

Well, for one, I had no constructive suggestions. But...

You could go artsy-fartsy and sew some gaudy tchochkies on it, or something like the stitching on a recently shown hat.

You could enlarge the hole and put a solar fan in it.

Or, you could wear stilts so nobody would be tall enough to see it.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Well, for one, I had no constructive suggestions. But...

You could go artsy-fartsy and sew some gaudy tchochkies on it, or something like the stitching on a recently shown hat.

You could enlarge the hole and put a solar fan in it.

Or, you could wear stilts so nobody would be tall enough to see it.
That’s the spirit!!
B

Ok, as much as I hate to get involved. Cut an appropriate sized piece of silk to cover the area from the back side, say, from a heavy tie you no longer wear. Use contact cement as directed on both the patch and felt. Press it into place with one hand while applying pressure on the opposite side with the other. May want to wear gloves as the patch could get a little messy.

B
I have read stories by some folks who had luck with some felt shavings from inside the crown combined with various adhesives. Attempting to kind of refelt the area. Possibly @belfastboy may have some suggestions. Or... the solar fan thing Fruno suggested might be the bee’s knees. ;)

Last edited:

B

Fiberglass patch on the inside and Bondo filler on the outside side. Sand to blend when dry and a couple coats of Krylon should get it back to like new.

You should see me use a slide hammer to remove dents from Derbies. :)

View attachment 337922 View attachment 337923 Greetings All:
Was thinking i ought to try and fix this weak spot, nearly worn through on this old No.1 before it tears through. I thought i’d ask advice on a patch inside, or how to fix it before i tried on my own.
Anybody have any secrets to share? I’m not sending it out for a fix.
Thanks
Bowen
I have had success with moth nibbles and weakened areas of felts. First step is using a sharp Xacto knife scrape felt from inside the crown or underside of brim if you can't access the crown. Then if the spot is very weak or even a hole clean through I glue in a 'boot' to cover the weak spot from the back side. I have a bunch of brim cuttings (I rarely throw things out cuz you never know!). Then using a light spray adhesive that I do not spray directly on the hat as it is not controllable. Instead I spray it on a piece of cardboard (don't do it anywhere near your wife's new IPad as there is overspray) enough so it pools. Then with a toothpick I dab the still wet adhesive onto the weakened area very sparingly. Then the magic of gently applying some of the scraped felt into the area to be repaired. This takes multiple applications....making sure each one is a light layer. If you use too much adhesive it will build up and give you a hardened spot so the art is using a light amount of the glue and lots of the felt. Tamp the felt and you will see that some adhers and the rest stays loose. Take away the loose, apply more glue, then more felt scrapings. It can take a few hours and many multiples of layers. On a light felt the repaired area will show some, the lighter the felt the more it will show....the darker the felt the easier it is to hide the repaired area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner