Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here
View attachment 337922 View attachment 337923 Greetings All:
Was thinking i ought to try and fix this weak spot, nearly worn through on this old No.1 before it tears through. I thought i’d ask advice on a patch inside, or how to fix it before i tried on my own.
Anybody have any secrets to share? I’m not sending it out for a fix.
Thanks
Bowen
Get a large cover EGA to install over the area in question.
8C75E034-9056-446F-8F8E-9693006E17A5.jpeg 951DED71-A430-41DB-9BA3-8594EE9B4AB2.jpeg

humanshoes

One Too Many
View attachment 337922 View attachment 337923 Greetings All:
Was thinking i ought to try and fix this weak spot, nearly worn through on this old No.1 before it tears through. I thought i’d ask advice on a patch inside, or how to fix it before i tried on my own.
Anybody have any secrets to share? I’m not sending it out for a fix.
Thanks
Bowen
I personally like a great old hat with honest wear and tear. Of course, not everyone can pull it off quite like this guy can.
Johnny Depp.jpg

That being said, if you're set on stabilizing that spot, I would recommend cutting a piece of crafter's felt as backing and using fabric glue as opposed to hot glue. A quick trip to Walmart or Hobby Lobby and Bob's your uncle.
Crafter's Felt.jpeg
Fabric Glue.jpeg

Last edited:
I personally like a great old hat with honest wear and tear. Of course, not everyone can pull it off quite like this guy can.
View attachment 338267
That being said, if you're set on stabilizing that spot, I would recommend cutting a piece of crafter's felt as backing and using fabric glue as opposed to hot glue. A quick trip to Walmart or Hobby Lobby and Bob's your uncle.
View attachment 338268 View attachment 338269
Off topic but a funny quip. A movie critic reviewing the recent(ish) "Waiting For the Barbarians" with Depp in a supporting role. The critic quipped "for likely the first and last time I kept thinking this movie could use more Johnny Depp. Can't believe I just wrote that!"

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Greetings all:
Well...i figure i outta respond to all the responses concerning the beak fix.
I do appreciate the myriad of responses as varied as the lounge audience is. Kudos
I’ll try the Bama/Belfastboy/Humanshoes methods as a compilation.
I’ll sacrifice a silk tie, use either spray adhesive or fabric glue on the patch and may even apply some felt shavings/dust under the silk patch for uniform support.
I forecast imminent success and my Old No.1 and i thank you all.
B

ps: if failure prevails, imma go Johnny Depp first then work up to a 12v fan. I’ll request ideas for a car battery harness then.
B

Greetings all:
Well...i figure i outta respond to all the responses concerning the beak fix.
I do appreciate the myriad of responses as varied as the lounge audience is. Kudos
I’ll try the Bama/Belfastboy/Humanshoes methods as a compilation.
I’ll sacrifice a silk tie, use either spray adhesive or fabric glue on the patch and may even apply some felt shavings/dust under the silk patch for uniform support.
I forecast imminent success and my Old No.1 and i thank you all.
B

ps: if failure prevails, imma go Johnny Depp first then work up to a 12v fan. I’ll request ideas for a car battery harness then.
B

I wish you success. An old Fabroc Zenith is the only hat that I’ve had a pinch repaired on. It wasn’t quite the condition of your hat but here are a couple of pics. I think to continue to crease the hat, the patch material has to be relatively thin and flexible.
8DA3B308-AC62-45D8-BFA3-2E13F7ECE2A9.jpeg
F0DDB531-F6A9-4B42-B38B-A393B106BF0E.jpeg
C19D1F9F-C552-47D5-B3C3-20EBE3E7EDE9.jpeg
142E1925-FA34-4052-8A30-955D4AA0B434.jpeg

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
I wish you success. An old Fabroc Zenith is the only hat that I’ve had a pinch repaired on. It wasn’t quite the condition of your hat but here are a couple of pics. I think to continue to crease the hat, the patch material has to be relatively thin and flexible.
View attachment 339450 View attachment 339451 View attachment 339452 View attachment 339453
Thanks Greg. Yeah, flexibility is what i’m after. The Fabroc looks good.
I have a very nicely color contrasted Strat that had a prior nose job. The subsequent rigidity of the patching really locked in the crease which totally ruined it for me.
Your idea of a silk tie is by far the best idea as, as near an “invisible” backing as i can think of. I’ve used various medical material and ultra thin paper tapes before which worked wonderful for a time then the adhesive breaks down to a gooey mess. I’m pretty sure the material glue and/or spray adhesive will remain flexible. We’ll have to see how it ages.
Again guys, thanks for the brain trust. Some great ideas as always.
If two eyes are good, many eyes are better. Even more so for brains and ideas.
That’s just one of the beautIes of this lounge family that i appreciate so much.
I’ll post some results when i get to it but today i gotta get ready to use the Old No.1 on another trout safari with the boy.
B

JamesC

Familiar Face
Let me figure out how to save the picture and I will try to put it up for you to see, in the mean time I will look at your link, Thanks

GHT

I'll Lock Up
It's 479 years since the English civil war, yet it's causes and those for and opposed, still rankles with some. Keeping that in mind, my question is, what sort of sensitivities still abound in the US about their internal war? As civil wars go, it was hardly anything but.

There a reason for my asking, The Confederate Officer's hat was a rather covetous affair.
Confederate-Officer-Hat.jpg

What I would like to do is purchase that style of hat, remove the piping and replace it with a more conventional hat band.
There's a hat that I have found that is something akin to what I have in mind, but it's not like for like:
Confederate-Officer-Hat2.jpg

It could easily be argued that as I am highly ulikely to wear such a hat outside of the UK, why worry?
The answer to that is simple. Respect, as in to those who fell, to those who still feel so strongly and in not having a comparitive union hat.
Thoughts?

It's 479 years since the English civil war, yet it's causes and those for and opposed, still rankles with some. Keeping that in mind, my question is, what sort of sensitivities still abound in the US about their internal war? As civil wars go, it was hardly anything but.

There a reason for my asking, The Confederate Officer's hat was a rather covetous affair.
View attachment 339690
What I would like to do is purchase that style of hat, remove the piping and replace it with a more conventional hat band.
There's a hat that I have found that is something akin to what I have in mind, but it's not like for like:
View attachment 339691
It could easily be argued that as I am highly ulikely to wear such a hat outside of the UK, why worry?
The answer to that is simple. Respect, as in to those who fell, to those who still feel so strongly and in not having a comparitive union hat.
Thoughts?

As long as it doesn’t have the CSA badge or the military cords I can’t see anyone getting offended. It’s just a slouch hat and both sides of the US Civil War issued them, and many other countries as well.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
As long as it doesn’t have the CSA badge or the military cords I can’t see anyone getting offended. It’s just a slouch hat and both sides of the US Civil War issued them, and many other countries as well.
It is a perfect slouch hat, add on a broad hat band and you would be hard pushed to know it's originality. My thanks and compliments to you.

Shogun Crosby

New in Town
Here's a random question, as I don't think that it deserves a thread of it's own!

Is there anyone in the Minnesota - Twin Cities area who has experience with getting a good crease in a new hat with an Open Crown? I've never gone that route, but I may be doing so with my first Gannon hat. It should be on the block in the next few days.

I don't want to mess this up the first time around, so if there's anyone in the Twin Cities area that would show me any of their tips, that'd be awesome... I'll bring sandwiches or beverages of your choice, whatever your thing may be!

Here's a random question, as I don't think that it deserves a thread of it's own!

Is there anyone in the Minnesota - Twin Cities area who has experience with getting a good crease in a new hat with an Open Crown? I've never gone that route, but I may be doing so with my first Gannon hat. It should be on the block in the next few days.

I don't want to mess this up the first time around, so if there's anyone in the Twin Cities area that would show me any of their tips, that'd be awesome... I'll bring sandwiches or beverages of your choice, whatever your thing may be!
First, welcome to The Lounge!

Second, let me see if I understand your post above. You're asking if any of us nitwits can show you how to crease a hat because you've never done it before, but you don't trust an experienced hatter like Mr. Gannon to do it right? You have me curious about what type of crease you want.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner