Ask a question, get an answer

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Lefty, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Snowman

Snowman A-List Customer

I must have been taught these as a boy, because they are second nature to me now. My grandmother would knock a hat right off my head if I walked into the house wearing it. I do agree that WalMart is definitely OK though. I also feel fine wearing my hat in the hallway or lobby of a school or office building, but I take it off when I enter an office or classroom. I never wear a hat at the table, but at the bar or counter is OK.

2. Rmccamey

Rmccamey My Mail is Forwarded Here

Rigorous academic research has found a direct, positive correlation between the length of time of membership in TFL and both the "hat budget" and total dollars spent on hats :) New members beware!

3. quixoticTexan

quixoticTexan New in Town

I a bit confused about where to post my question. I'm trying to date an older straw Stetson cowboy hat. Should I post pics here?

Blare, deadlyhandsome and Steve1857 like this.
  4. Steve1857

Steve1857 I'll Lock Up

If only someone had told me that when I started, Randy :)

GLewis, Blare and Rmccamey like this.
  5. Steve1857

Steve1857 I'll Lock Up

Welcome QT. Post here and/or in the Stetson Hat thread

Blare and quixoticTexan like this.
  6. Blare and quixoticTexan like this.

7. I think it’s more than a correlation, I think it’s the cause. I also think there are more than a few wives who can back me up. :)

GLewis, Blare, Zombie_61 and 3 others like this.
  8. Short Balding Guy

Short Balding Guy I'll Lock Up

Sage wisdom asked for; How can I remove the perspiration (perhaps leather detris included) stains from a Gannon crown ribbon? During the 2020 Pandemic shutdown I wore this hat for a long walkabout. This Gannon (natural beaver felt, matching brim and gilled ribbon hues) has an untreated leather sweat. At the end of the walk I found I had sweated through the leather sweat and into the ribbon.

I have steamed (distilled H20) and wiped dry and gentle use of Woolite. A couple of times with steam. They have diminished, but not been removed.

A small bit of the ribbon staining can be seen in the pic below. The obvious stain is at the rear of the gill treatment. The stains are on the front and the other side.
    [​IMG]

Here is a pic when the hat was newly in my hands.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What to learn from this? Leather sweat is incredibly comfortable, but not something I will ever ask for again. Treated leathers, dye and the like, help me when wearing my hats not to unduly wear them.

What should I do to remove the offending stains?

Thanks in advance, Eric -

Last edited: Oct 10, 2021
  9. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

Damn, I cringe when I stain a ribbon. I am thinking the only way to really get rid of the will be to remove the ribbon and wash it completely. I use an Orvis paste or I steal some lingerie soap from my wife. I have not had good luck spot cleaning ribbon as it seems I just end up chasing the stain from area to area. Perhaps check with Michael for hints on how he attaches this type of bow/ribbon work and it may be possible to remove and retack at home.

10. hatsRme

hatsRme

I have had great success mitigating crown ribbon sweat stains without removing the ribbon by applying ample water to the ribbons with a (new) sponge, gently “massaging the affected area with the wet sponge, and hard press (hand) blotting with a folded up towel. Before and after pictures of my Art Fawcett VS light sage felt. Does that make it sage advice?

Before & After…
    E6620026-5658-476A-8BF0-5A1CDBD2C947.jpeg
    53B6E0C9-11C1-4908-95EA-C72E266C5FAF.jpeg 73AAC9C7-6583-4D58-BD0A-6A0660D71FBB.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 11, 2021
  11. Hoo boy, I like that hat! I wish I was rich instead of ugly. :(

Frunobulax, hatsRme and Blare like this.
  12. Short Balding Guy

Charlie, I will try the sponge route. Thanks. I am hesitant about removing. In the morning I will give it a try.

Eric -

Zombie_61, Blare and hatsRme like this.
  13. Short Balding Guy

I emailed Michael this evening and I will wait for his sage wisdom, not sage hat like Charlie's. I do wish he did have sage felt though.

Eric -

belfastboy, Zombie_61, Blare and 2 others like this.
  14. hatsRme

hatsRme

Thanks, Al!
    I’ve owned this hat close to ten years and it is one of the (if not THE ) most commented-on hats in my collection. Some very funny stories…. I think it looks better with age, too.

15. wsmontana

wsmontana New in Town

Hello!

I’m a new member and found this site based on some searching I did to try to find information about a vintage hat I recently came to own. I love the hat but unfortunately it is a bit too small for me so I’m going to try and sell it.

I haven’t been able to find much information about this specific hat. I found lots of “Open Road” 6X hats but nothing 7X or with this particular label (actually, I just did a search again and found what looks like this hat on eBay…).

Anyway, I’m hoping that members here can help me out or point me in the right direction so I can do more research on my own.

From the hat label:

Style: W4000 Open Road
    Color: 601 S Belly
    Brim: 234
    Size: 7 1/4

From the hat band:
    7X BEAVER
    XXXXXXX STETSON

My wife purchased the hat at an auction and I don’t have any information other that what is on the hat itself and on the box. The label on the box doesn’t match the color or size on the hat so not sure what is going on there.

I’ve attached a few pics.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Bill

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
  16. Snowman

Snowman A-List Customer

First of all, welcome to the Lounge. Take a minute and introduce yourself on the New Members thread. https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/new-member-to-the-hat-forum.87263/

Looks like a nice hat in good condition from the pics. It’s not uncommon for hats to have boxes that don’t match. They get switched around and stored over the years, so the box isn’t usually a reliable identifier.

I’d recommend starting here to find info about your hat:
    http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?7047-The-Open-Road-Guild
    http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?32679-Dating-Vintage-Stetsons-by-Liner-A-Field-Guide

Blare, wsmontana and belfastboy like this.
  17. jlee562

jlee562 I'll Lock Up

Huh. That's an odd duck.

The most notable 7x hats are the Clear Beaver hats, but this hat doesn't carry that designation. This hat looks more 70s or maybe 60s.

the box is mismatched, happens all the time at hat shops.

Blare and wsmontana like this.

18. This version of the 7X (non-clear beaver) seems to have existed with both the black rectangular size tag that replaced the keyhole tag and the newer size tag with both the US and metric sizes. Based on the liner, I suspect yours is an earlier version. I’d guess late 1960s or more likely 1970s. Those are just guesses based on indicators other similar 7X hats have along with the few matching indicators I can see on your hat.

As you are looking to sell it, I’d say it might go for nominally more than it’s contemporary 3, 4, and 5X Beaver cousins. It’s not old enough to move it into the realm where the prices really go up and where collectors drool.

Good luck, and reinvest whatever you sell it for in another hat!

Blare, wsmontana and belfastboy like this.
  19. jlee562

jlee562 I'll Lock Up

Well look at what I had saved on my tablet...
    [​IMG]
    a little blurry but 7x is there

BobHufford, Snowman, Blare and 5 others like this.
  20. wsmontana

wsmontana New in Town

Snowman, thanks for the links and the tip on the box! I will introduce myself soon on the New Members thread.

[/QUOTE]

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
    Snowman and Blare like this.