Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

srcphoto

New in Town
I may as well. Haven’t decided yet.

Our heat just turned on today.
You could go the elcheapo DIY route, pop a visit to a well known swedish big box furnishing warehouse, and get some inexpensive wall mounting pegs that, although intended for coats, yet serve just as well for hanging your hat upon.
But the Gannon you are hoping for will serve better sitting atop the nogging anyhoo.

Impala5513

New in Town
Hey friends, I need help with a hat search. I'm looking to get the Stalker hat from Red Dead Redemption 2, which is essentially the Fist Full of Dollars hat in black and no distressing. I wouldn't have thought this to be such an uphill battle, but good golly god is it hard to find something that really works. Here is the best I can figure it: It is a tear drop telescope crown (so far the tear drop aspect is extremely hard to find) that is 4'' tall, with little to no pinch, what appears to be a 3.5'' (at the most) brim, with a pencil roll. There are a handful of companies out there that make a replica of the Fist Full of Dollars hat (Staker Hats comes to mind), but I've never bought from them, and after my experience with Knudsen hats (what a shit show that place is) I'm apprehensive about buying from Staker, as the hat they offer isn't exactly the hat I'm requesting.

Walton Goggins character, Chris Mannix, in The Hateful Eight also wears essentially the hat that I am looking for, but I can't find any info on what company made it for the production. My thought was maybe O'Farrell hats, but they are extremely expensive (a grand) and have a 1 year turn around time. Any one have any ideas about how to acquire this hat for around $400?
Stalker 6.jpeg
Stalker 5.jpeg
Stalker 4.jpeg
Stalker 3.jpeg
Stalker 2.jpeg
Stalker 1.jpeg

Belkar

Familiar Face
Hey friends, I need help with a hat search. I'm looking to get the Stalker hat from Red Dead Redemption 2, which is essentially the Fist Full of Dollars hat in black and no distressing. I wouldn't have thought this to be such an uphill battle, but good golly god is it hard to find something that really works. Here is the best I can figure it: It is a tear drop telescope crown (so far the tear drop aspect is extremely hard to find) that is 4'' tall, with little to no pinch, what appears to be a 3.5'' (at the most) brim, with a pencil roll. There are a handful of companies out there that make a replica of the Fist Full of Dollars hat (Staker Hats comes to mind), but I've never bought from them, and after my experience with Knudsen hats (what a shit show that place is) I'm apprehensive about buying from Staker, as the hat they offer isn't exactly the hat I'm requesting.

Walton Goggins character, Chris Mannix, in The Hateful Eight also wears essentially the hat that I am looking for, but I can't find any info on what company made it for the production. My thought was maybe O'Farrell hats, but they are extremely expensive (a grand) and have a 1 year turn around time. Any one have any ideas about how to acquire this hat for around $400? View attachment 370302 View attachment 370303 View attachment 370304 View attachment 370305 View attachment 370306 View attachment 370307

My first thought while reading was O’Farrel, until you mentioned you looked there. I think the hat they made for Adam Savage is more or less what you’re looking for.

I wish I had a better plan for you, but a year isn’t that long and a grand isn’t that bad. Like my wife would say: “Get the one you really want, because if you don’t, you’ll never be happy, you’ll buy the one you want in the end, and we’ll spend more money anyway. “

I wish you good luck on your hat hunt.

Attachments

• AE94562C-090D-4307-A00A-B488E93DA411.jpeg
    AE94562C-090D-4307-A00A-B488E93DA411.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 467

Walton Goggins character, Chris Mannix, in The Hateful Eight also wears essentially the hat that I am looking for, but I can't find any info on what company made it for the production. My thought was maybe O'Farrell hats, but they are extremely expensive (a grand) and have a 1 year turn around time. Any one have any ideas about how to acquire this hat for around $400? View attachment 370302 View attachment 370303 View attachment 370304 View attachment 370305 View attachment 370306 View attachment 370307
Mike at NorthWest Hats in Eugene is a master at making hats from pictures. I have full confidence he can provide you with that hat. For $375 he will make you a hat from 100% Winchester beaver felt. I imagine western weight would be $50 more. His wait list is likely 4 months. Another to try is Michael Gannon out of CA...his hats are beautiful and he is just $350 for dress weight beaver. There are other custom hatters out there that can make that hat for much less than the $1000 of O'Farrell.

Mike at NorthWest Hats in Eugene is a master at making hats from pictures. I have full confidence he can provide you with that hat. For $375 he will make you a hat from 100% Winchester beaver felt. I imagine western weight would be $50 more. His wait list is likely 4 months. Another to try is Michael Gannon out of CA...his hats are beautiful and he is just $350 for dress weight beaver. There are other custom hatters out there that can make that hat for much less than the $1000 of O'Farrell.
A further thought looking at the hat again. There really isn't anything out of the ordinary with this hat. Pretty sure any custom hatter could make this up for you. Here is an old Stetson I reworked. Instead of creasing it I left it open crown in Boss of The Plains look.
CIMG1846.JPG

Impala5513

New in Town
This is why this forum is so wonderful. These are all really great tips! I just emailed Northwest Hats, so we'll see what that turns out.

Belfastboy, that is a gorgeous hat, and looks great on you! I did think about trying to reshape a hat myself, but I couldn't decide if I should start with a Telescope crown gambler type hat and try and add the tear drop effect to it, or take a true blue Tear drop style crown and try to remove the pinch and add a little roundness to it.

The fact that Eugene does 100% Winchester beaver felt is a huge selling point. I was really hoping I would get lucky when I first started this search to find if Stratton made the hat I was looking for, because they use the same type quality felt (from my understanding) but to my dismay, no such luck!

This is why this forum is so wonderful. These are all really great tips! I just emailed Northwest Hats, so we'll see what that turns out.

Belfastboy, that is a gorgeous hat, and looks great on you! I did think about trying to reshape a hat myself, but I couldn't decide if I should start with a Telescope crown gambler type hat and try and add the tear drop effect to it, or take a true blue Tear drop style crown and try to remove the pinch and add a little roundness to it.

The fact that Eugene does 100% Winchester beaver felt is a huge selling point. I was really hoping I would get lucky when I first started this search to find if Stratton made the hat I was looking for, because they use the same type quality felt (from my understanding) but to my dismay, no such luck!
It is hard to rework a hat especially a heavier western weight without the right block and lots of steam to remove the old crease and the crease marks.

Mike at NW is a master. I have 8 of his creations and many were made from either pics I sent him or an email description. He has always produced the hat I desired.....he nailed each and every one.

Neiru

New in Town
I bought an Adam hat that I think is from the 60's and though the brim is too short being less than 2" the softness of the crown is something I have not experienced in my other hats that are newer hats from recent decades. Being new to fedora's I would love to find something new that had this feel to it. Thoughts on Adam hats? The crown was soft and very moldable compared to my newer hats that are more stiff and more difficult to shape. The Adam hat is not an open crown from appearance but I can shape it easily.

I bought an Adam hat that I think is from the 60's and though the brim is too short being less than 2" the softness of the crown is something I have not experienced in my other hats that are newer hats from recent decades. Being new to fedora's I would love to find something new that had this feel to it. Thoughts on Adam hats? The crown was soft and very moldable compared to my newer hats that are more stiff and more difficult to shape. The Adam hat is not an open crown from appearance but I can shape it easily.
Older felts do tend to shape more easily that more modern hats. I have had a few Adam hats of varying stylings and ages. While they were meant to be a slightly lower priced offering they made excellent hats in their day and I really enjoy them.

I ordered two custom hats from Staker…the worst experience I’ve had with a custom hatter. I was tempted by the price, but it was a terrible hat and even worse customer service.

The first hatter that came to mind with Mike at Northwest and it sounds like you’re already there. Post photos when it arrives!

Last edited:

New hats with the qualities of old hats…a lot of us are looking for this. Custom hats are an option, but not all of them are moldable like vintage felt. Not sure there is a modern production felt that gets you there. The recently discontinued open crown fedoras that were part of Stetson’s “Excellent” line were what you describe. You can also look for another vintage hat in the dimensions you prefer. Good luck.

atomicgil

New in Town
I'm guessing that it is made of Melusine. I have steamed shaped fedoras and straw hats before, and used hat stiffer afterwards. But this is a whole new ball game. It seems that whoever owned it before "tipped" their hat a lot and now it is permanently tipped down on the right side. Can this be fixed? I can live with it and enjoy the hat, but I just wanted to know if anyone had any advice. Thank you.

Impala5513

New in Town
I ordered two custom hats from Staker…the worst experience I’ve had with a custom hatter. I was tempted by the price, but it was a terrible hat and even worse customer service.

The first hatter that came to mind with Mike at Northwest and it sounds like you’re already there. Post photos when it arrives!

This is why I'm already happy with the suggestion to talk to Mike. He just sent me his first reply to my initial poke about this hat, and just from that, I can see that he cares about what I want and getting it right. A swell of relief. We've all been there, but lately, I feel more and more like getting a company that cares about each piece they provide is proving really difficult.

I'm sorry to hear about your Staker experience. That was the vibe I got from my brief interactions I had with them as well. After what I went through with Knudsen (one of the worst purchasing experiences I've ever had) I am happy to be in the hands of a quality craftsman.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This is why I'm already happy with the suggestion to talk to Mike. He just sent me his first reply to my initial poke about this hat, and just from that, I can see that he cares about what I want and getting it right. A swell of relief. We've all been there, but lately, I feel more and more like getting a company that cares about each piece they provide is proving really difficult.

I'm sorry to hear about your Staker experience. That was the vibe I got from my brief interactions I had with them as well. After what I went through with Knudsen (one of the worst purchasing experiences I've ever had) I am happy to be in the hands of a quality craftsman.
I know what you mean. Almost all my custom hats are made by Art Fawcett and I was heartbroken when he retired. I do know North West Hats has a fantastic Facebook page that’s worth a look.
Johnny

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up

You won't be disappointed with a Northwest hat.

20200323_085438.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana