Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Hey everyone,

I am new here but glad I found it. So I have been searching for a hat similar to this forever but I have no clue what its called or brand.

Thanks in advance.

View attachment 446779

Should be easy for a hatter to reproduce that look.

Looks like a hat that was taken off the block without ironing the brim:

FE088CE1-B12F-406C-9A59-587E4EF75C46.jpeg

Last edited:

artistwantab

New in Town
Thank you!

I never considered a women's hat.

A quick search for a floppy women's hat gives giant sun hats.

I tried searching for floppy hat and found nothing close. Tried even email a few hat shops asking if they have anything similar. Not even a reply.

Figured it was custom made and no one knocked it off.

Having it made! I am talking completely out of ignorance.

How much would it cost to have a hat like that made?

Apologize for my ignorance in advance. Hat lover but I just buy what I like.

Last edited:
Thank you!

I never considered a women's hat.

A quick search for a floppy women's hat gives giant sun hats.

I tried searching for floppy hat and found nothing close. Tried even email a few hat shops asking if they have anything similar. Not even a reply.

Figured it was custom made and no one knocked it off.

Having it made! I am talking completely out of ignorance.

How much would it cost to have a hat like that made?

Apologize for my ignorance in advance. Hat lover but I just buy what I like.
Shoot me a DM and we can converse.

artistwantab

New in Town
Thanks!

OK so here is what I see about the hat that makes if different from all the floppy hats I have seen.

If you look at the top. The top is wider at the top and taller then most floppy hats.

Almost a mad hatter look.

To me that is what makes if different from women's floppy hats which are round and short at the top. That's why I never thought of it as a women's hat.

I did DM @belfastboy just now.

Thanks!

OK so here is what I see about the hat that makes if different from all the floppy hats I have seen.

If you look at the top. The top is wider at the top and taller then most floppy hats.

Almost a mad hatter look.

To me that is what makes if different from women's floppy hats which are round and short at the top. That's why I never thought of it as a women's hat.

I did DM @belfastboy just now.

We call it reverse taper when the crown has a larger circumference at the top than lower down. Blocks that make them create a mechanical lock so the blocks are of the “puzzle” variety that are assembled and disassembled inside the crown. Slighter reverse taper can also be produced in other ways. However, you can achieve the more severe effect without the rare puzzle blocks. I’d think over sizing the felt when blocked then cinching it up with the installation of the sweatband might be the answer. It’s not a look many want so I’m just guessing. I hope Robert @belfastboy can help you. Good luck.

wearinghats

New in Town
Hi everyone,
I'd like to share my recent hat purchase experience that didn't go very well, and I was wondering if it's best to start a new post or add it to a thread like this one? I'm looking for some ideas of what steps I can take next to hopefully fix things.

Hi everyone,
I'd like to share my recent hat purchase experience that didn't go very well, and I was wondering if it's best to start a new post or add it to a thread like this one? I'm looking for some ideas of what steps I can take next to hopefully fix things.
If you are asking a question seeking direction on how to proceed then this thread would be appropriate.

pacolizarraga

Familiar Face
Yes, I will put a better picture of the label once I receive the hat,
Here is the pictures
I can’t tell due to the resolution, but it looks like it has an O.P.S. price on the size tag and that would put it between 1951 and 1953. Can you add a better photo of the size tag?
@deadlyhandsome here is the a picture of the tag, do you have idea about the era? any comment

Attachments

• label.jpg
    label.jpg
    965.6 KB · Views: 50
Wow!! thank you very much, this hat is awesome

It’s amazing to think that in just a few short years after your hat was made Stetson, and others, would be making hats that in no way compare. By the late 1950s the gradual decline in quality became a free fall (at least with most US made hats).

Enjoy that great hat and post photos of you wearing it when you can.

Cheers

Hi everyone,

If you are asking a question seeking direction on how to proceed then this thread would be appropriate.
There are also two threads that it may fit as a “gripe”

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/ebay-hats-victories-defeats-gripes-items-of-interest.27695/

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/thr...items-of-interest.54417/page-211#post-2936794

wsmontana

A-List Customer
To be honest, 6 5/8 is not a very common vintage hat size when looking at adult hats. If all you need to do is differentiate between 6 5/8 and 7 5/8 it’s pretty simple. The length of the head opening alone will answer that. A practiced eye can also use proportions: if an Open Road looks to have a 3 1/2” brim it’s a 6 5/8 but if it looks to have a 2 3/8” brim it’s a 7 5/8 (where the actual brim width is 2 3/4” for both sizes).

Here is my humble contribution to the practiced eye test.

I happen to have two Stetson Temple Fedoras up on the bay — one is 6 7/8 and the other is 7 7/8. Brims are 2 5/8 on each.

Which is 7 7/8, A or B?

Good luck! :cool:

Bill

F6CCC8CE-913D-4A83-8F17-801F9BB8A290.jpeg

1F8D54BF-BE9A-4F45-B8F4-A44AF5E65463.jpeg

I happen to have two Stetson Temple Fedoras up on the bay — one is 6 7/8 and the other is 7 7/8. Brims are 2 5/8 on each.

Which is 7 7/8, A or B?

Bill

View attachment 447241

View attachment 447242

I’m going with B as the 7 7/8. The second photo of “A” alone has me convinced: if that were the 7 7/8 the brim width would need to be over three inches to be proportional and not 2 5/8. That said, I’ve been wrong more than once before. :)

E08CA9D8-39B8-4BC3-8ADD-34E6F83E9EB5.jpeg

Which is 7 7/8, A or B?

Bill

View attachment 447241

View attachment 447242
ask for the north/south and then the east/west measure....the larger of the two will be the 7 7/8. If you don't get an answer I would not buy it.

ask for the north/south and then the east/west measure....the larger of the two will be the 7 7/8. If you don't get an answer I would not buy it.
One of the most important things I have learned in my hunt for vintage hats is that there are a lot of sellers who are not 'hat people'. They have no idea what they are selling. They will list it incorrectly out of ignorance or malice. They will neglect to list the flaws.....smells, moth nibbles, sweat band rot etc etc. The will list the size wrongly. My lesson painfully learned is to ask questions and abandon those items where I receive wrong answers or incomplete answers. Like so many things vintage, hats (save for a few Grail hats) are like busses....ya miss one, with patience another comes along soon enough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112