Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DudeInBlack

Familiar Face
Hat sizing is a real pain the you-know-what.
I measure 22-1/2 in. On some sites I'm a 7 1/8 and on others I'm a 7 1/4. What's up with that?

Anyone else have this problem, or am I missing something?

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Hat sizing is a real pain the you-know-what.
I measure 22-1/2 in. On some sites I'm a 7 1/8 and on others I'm a 7 1/4. What's up with that?

Anyone else have this problem, or am I missing something?

I think you're seeing the difference between American and British hat sizing, there... I'm not sure how to explain it, but if you're 7 3/8 in the U.S. for example, you're 7 1/4 in British sizing. Correct me, someone, if I'm wrong about it.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
I think you're seeing the difference between American and British hat sizing, there... I'm not sure how to explain it, but if you're 7 3/8 in the U.S. for example, you're 7 1/4 in British sizing. Correct me, someone, if I'm wrong about it.

I'm also 22 1/2... I'm led to believe, however, that the US 7 1/8 compares to the UK 7 in circumference. However, there will always be slight discrepancies between companies' sizing, so best to use measurements whenever possible.

My question:
How much of a "stretch" would it be to shrink a vintage 7 3/8 to a 7 1/8???
came across a beauty in a local shop, but didn't purchase yet...

DRB

One Too Many
I just purchased one of these from Panama Bob. Can anyone tell me the proper name for this instrument? His description was:
"Scissor - type hat measuring tool size measure accurate"

Scissor-typehatmeasuringtoolsizemeasureaccurate.jpg

I want to say it is an Ellipse Circumference Calculator, but I don't think that is right.

Last edited:

billyspew

One Too Many
Which is older, the whippet logo on the inner liner or the inner sweatband? And around when did it change from one to the other? And where does the whippet rank in the stetson hierarchy as opposed to, say, the open road? Thanks; and, yes, I just got my first whippet for $12 (the one w/ the sweatband logo). It seems kind of flimsy and the fur of not the greatest quality, but I've read elsewhere the whippet is highly regarded. Your thoughts?

If you could show us pictures of the sweatband lining etc we might be able to help.

Chinaski

One Too Many
Which is older, the whippet logo on the inner liner or the inner sweatband? And around when did it change from one to the other? And where does the whippet rank in the stetson hierarchy as opposed to, say, the open road? Thanks; and, yes, I just got my first whippet for $12 (the one w/ the sweatband logo). It seems kind of flimsy and the fur of not the greatest quality, but I've read elsewhere the whippet is highly regarded. Your thoughts?

I believe the logo on the liner indicates an older hat than the logo on the sweat. Generally, there were many whippets made and they were mostly an everyday hat and on the lower end of Stetson's quality range. Whippets are widely liked due to their proportions. Many find them desirable for that reason. Open Roads (and Open Road style hats made by Stetson) are quite ubiquitous, but unlike the Whippet they were made in a wide range of quality designations. Open Roads are a well-liked thin-ribbon hat - a bit more casual or country than the "city" styling of the Whippet.

ejbhats

A-List Customer
Can one of you nice people point me in the direction of a thread for Stevens hats?
I picked up a Stevens, "Rod and Hunt Club" hat. Seems nice but can find no info on it.
Thanks for your help!

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Did we ever with any certainty find out what Vita-Felt really is? I zoned out by around the 2nd page of the BS War in the main Vita-Felt thread. Aureliano's posting has piqued my interests.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Simple answer: no, as to composition. It might be the then-new technique used by Stetson (though used by HCA prior to that) that resulted in springier felt (to compete with the Borso shortage during the war). Check out the last page of the vita-thread felt, where I post this theory, the patent that lead me to it, and the discussions I had with JtL to flesh it out.

email68

One of the Regulars
I'll be in the 90's all summer. I'm thinking my fur hats will be too warm. I've been thinking of a Panama, but not sure how it will look on me. Looks like they only come in white.

Are there any other fedora looking hats that are good for the summer heat?

DudeInBlack

Familiar Face
I've heard a lot of debate on this. So I'll pose it to you.

If you are between sizes...
Would you say it's better to stretch a smaller size or pad a larger size?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner