Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yes, go with the larger size. Too-small hats are really annoying, and make me think the whole time I'm wearing them when I can get them stretched. Less trouble to pad in a too-big hat. I'm speaking of one size too big though. Two sizes too big, and you're on your own.

Pad a larger size. No question about that.

Just the opposite, in my experience. I have very good success coaxing a 7 to 22 1/8" for a very comfortable fit.

Padding deforms the sweatband some (depending on the thickness of the leather.) While it can make a large hat wearable, I find I wear the large hats rarely... less so as my collection grows. In the end, the ones that fit perfectly and comfortably will be the ones you wear. You have a better chance for this nirvana with a slightly too small hat - especially if you find an old Garvé hat stretcher at auction.

my very personal .02!
Alan

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Another vote for larger, but it can certainly depend on your size. I'm at 7 1/2, so going down a size doesn't save me any money, but going up a size or two can save quite a bit. In fact, for one size up, I don't even need to pad - I just wear the hat a little differently.

If I wore a 7 1/4, I'd probably stretch 7 1/8s.

Lefty's suggestion on a small amount of largeness is very good. I am between a 7 and 7 1/8. My 7 1/8 hats fit just fine if I wear them slightly obliquely... a tug down in the back makes a larger circumference and slightly snugger fit.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
I'm experiencing a part of this phenomenon for the first time: this week I bought 3 vintage fedoras, all of different sizes. I'm a 7 1/8 long oval but I grow my hair long and then buzz it again on a semi-regular basis...

While it's probable that the three hats have shrunk a little over time, I can wear them all: one 7 1/8, one 7 1/4 long oval, and one 7 3/8.

I have discovered that it's FAR easier to wear a fedora that either is a tad too big or not the right head shape than it is to wear a bowler with an inexact fit. A fedora will easily conform more readily. I suspect the extra shellac combined with the rolled and bound brim make the bowler easier to stretch from a smaller size without worrying much about brim warping. You'll only get more swoop, which I like anyway.

Conversely, a small fedora seems to warp far more when stretched, so better to get a size slightly bigger and pad a little if necessary.

I will say, however, that a perfectly fitting bowler never blows off my head, even in a strong wind (knock on wood)!

email68

One of the Regulars
Thanks. Those both look nice. I'd bet the white one would be cooler just because its white.

I sent Panama Bob an email several days ago about some of these questions. I have not heard back. Guess he's busy this time of year.

-Tim

There are also Milan hats that will work also.
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?30949-Milan-Mania&highlight=milan+mile

You can also get Panama's in brown and black. I have a brown one.
Here are two of my Panama bob hats.
web.jpg

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Does anyone here have the actuarial skills needed to determine the odds on the following:

You buy a hat with the previous owner's initials on the sweatband. What are the chances of your own initials matching?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Does anyone here have the actuarial skills needed to determine the odds on the following:

You buy a hat with the previous owner's initials on the sweatband. What are the chances of your own initials matching?

Before I can help I'll need to know the color of the hat.........

danofarlington

I say the odds are one in 676 for two initials (26 x 26). For three initials, it would be one in 17,576 (26 x 26 x 26).

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
I say the odds are one in 676 for two initials (26 x 26). For three initials, it would be one in 17,576 (26 x 26 x 26).
The actual problem is much more complicated than that. It depends on the persons name. Zebadiah Xray Zachoria has VERY little chance of matching his initials with another person on a sweatband. :)

randooch

I'll Lock Up
So each letter would have to be assigned a value for how often it appears as an initial (Smith, e.g., vs. Zachoria) on a scale. Then the problem could be worked out?

danofarlington

So each letter would have to be assigned a value for how often it appears as an initial (Smith, e.g., vs. Zachoria) on a scale. Then the problem could be worked out?

As long as you made defensible assumptions about the frequencies. Then it would be a sum of the 26 letters weighted by frequency, times the same, and times the same again if you go for three initials. There's probably more to it than that, but that would be a start. It wouldn't be so hard to figure out, if you wanted to bother with it. Eighth grade statistics and algebra ought to suffice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW