Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

blane36989

New in Town
Need Advice - Stumbled on these cowboy hats

Hi Folks-

I recently won the bidding on an abandoned storage unit in Fort Worth. While going through all of the contents, I stumbled upon a collection of cowboy hats and I need advice from y'all since I have no clue about them myself.

There are a total of five hats that all appear to have never been worn and are pristine. Two of the hats are autographed on the upper/outer brim - one by Shania Twain and the other by Merle Haggard. Two more are "showroom new" and autograph free.

Here are the specs on all of them:

1. -Diamond Horseshoe Resistol
- Rancher style
-Buckskin color
-15 X beaver felt
-7 1/4"
2. - Autographed by Shania Twain
- Stetson
- White felt beaver with silver tag
- 6 X
- 7 1/4"
3. - Autographed by Merle Haggard
- white felt beaver w/silver & gold buckles
- Stetson
- 30 X
- El Patron style
- 7 1/4"
4. - Stetson white felt 30 X beaver
- Identical to M. Haggard but no autograph

The last one was in a glass case, so I am most curious about it. Its specs are:
-100 X
-Cattle Baron Resistol
-Cattlemen 65
-Silverbelly
-7 1/4"
-Beaver and Cashmere Felt
-400 (not sure what that designates)

I'm sure these are worth something, but I have no idea where to find that out and who/where I could sell them. If anyone could help me out, I would sure appreciate it!
Thanks,
Eric

SgtRick

One of the Regulars
How do you store your hats?

This is probably a dumb questions as I'm sure most will say in the hat box but if you have more than a few then that might not be practical. I can only wear my hats for a couple weeks at a time while on R&R. It is usually about 6 months before I can return to wear them again. How would you store them in a case like this? Would you use hat strechers in each one to keep their shape and size?

rlk

I'll Lock Up
I don't know the value of autographs, but all the hats other than the 6X are quite expensive and in the current catalog so that you can see the selling prices on many sites--$300-700 range.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
In your case I would keep each hat with a hat strecher to keep it from shrinking. Then I would place the hat in a plastic bag like a dry cleaning bag tied then in the hat box. If you are keeping the hat in storage box perhaps wrap the hat box inside a plastic bag also to protect against water damage.

Tatude

New in Town
I just store them in the box they came in with cedar blocks around. Have 7 so it takes up some room. I've purchased a vintage hat that was NIB and about 30+ years old and looked brand new so I figure it's a good way to store them.

blane36989

New in Town
I don't know the value of autographs, but all the hats other than the 6X are quite expensive and in the current catalog so that you can see the selling prices on many sites--$300-700 range.

Thanks for the reply. I am totally clueless about these. Do u have links to catalogs or know of any shops that will either take consignment or purchase them outright for resale? Or possibly anyone that would want them individually? I will offer them at extremely attractive prices.

Thanks again

sulla

One of the Regulars
How hardy is the Stetson Saxon? We bought one for my dad and he refuses to wear it out fearing that even the smallest drop of water will pucker swell or pock mark the felt.

I wear my Akubra Fed's in inclement weather all the time, is the Dixon not as sturdy or safe when wet out?

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This is probably a dumb questions as I'm sure most will say in the hat box but if you have more than a few then that might not be practical. I can only wear my hats for a couple weeks at a time while on R&R. It is usually about 6 months before I can return to wear them again. How would you store them in a case like this? Would you use hat strechers in each one to keep their shape and size?

You don't need a stretcher to store them. Hat boxes might be the best thing--keeps off the dust, but lets them breathe, unlike a plastic bag. Brush them first to discourage the moths which may have laid eggs. Maybe some mothballs in the boxes, the kind that have cedar smell to them.. I haven't done that yet but will do so this season.

You don't need a stretcher for every hat, just the one you'll likely wear first. Then put stretcher in one you'll wear next. Maybe 2 stretchers. If the sweat is not damp, it should not draw in storage. Don't over thnk it. Hats have been stored for decades & retained their size.

job

One Too Many
Fedora / fashion

I live in the south and most everyone wears blue jeans, T-shirts, and tennis shoes. If they wear a hat it is a baseball cap. A few years ago I wanted to change what I wear. After buying a fur felt hat I found that what I wore was influenced buy the hats I chose. Now I rarely wear jeans or tennis shoes. T-shirts I'll wear around the house. I feel that wearing a fedora has improved my fashion and not only am I different for my hats I also am slightly different for not wearing jeans, T-shirts, and tennis shoes all the time. I guess wearing a fedora has made me look better and more unique in more ways than one. My hats dictate my dress more than my dress dictates my hat choice at this time. How about you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR